Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jean-Christophe Bach
Hi Pharoers,

This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
Pharo sprinters.

JC

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Hi Jean-Christophe Bach !
I am new to Pharo and would like to know more about Pharo Sprint.
It would be great if you could elucidate a bit.
Thanks and Regards
Jigyasa Grover

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

CyrilFerlicot
Pharo sprint are some event organize the Friday at INRIA Lille where people come and works on a theme.
For exemple that can be a bug hunt: "Choose a bug from FogBugz and try to solve it".
Everyone is on a big room and we can help each other.

Some sprint are announce on the news on Pharo's website : http://pharo.org/news/
Like for this sprint : http://pharo.org/news/Pharo-Sprints
;)

Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot

* Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> [27.03.2015. @20:44:50 +0100]:

> Pharo sprint are some event organize the Friday at INRIA Lille where people
> come and works on a theme.
> For exemple that can be a bug hunt: "Choose a bug from FogBugz and try to
> solve it".
> Everyone is on a big room and we can help each other.
>
> Some sprint are announce on the news on Pharo's website :
> http://pharo.org/news/
> Like for this sprint : http://pharo.org/news/Pharo-Sprints
> ;)
>

> On 27 March 2015 at 17:05, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jean-Christophe Bach !
> > I am new to Pharo and would like to know more about Pharo Sprint.
> > It would be great if you could elucidate a bit.
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Jigyasa Grover

Right!

It is a coordinated bug hunt: issues are selected from fogbugz and
peer-programmers try to fix them.
If you are interested in specific issues, you can propose them during
the sprint.

JC

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jean-Christophe Bach
* Hilaire <[hidden email]> [27.03.2015. @22:04:29 +0100]:

> Le 27/03/2015 17:11, Jean-Christophe Bach a écrit :
> > Hi Pharoers,
> >
> > This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
> > Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
> > You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
> > server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
> > Pharo sprinters.
> >
> > JC
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there any Pharo related things to prepare in advance if one wants to
> attempt remotely through IRC channel?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
> iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu
A Pharo environment and an IRC client :)
If you want to work on specific issues, you can check the opened issues
on fogbugz. Then you can propose them during the sprint.

JC

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Marcus Denker-4

> On 27 Mar 2015, at 22:04, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 27/03/2015 17:11, Jean-Christophe Bach a écrit :
>> Hi Pharoers,
>>
>> This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
>> Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
>> You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
>> server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
>> Pharo sprinters.
>>
>> JC
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there any Pharo related things to prepare in advance if one wants to
> attempt remotely through IRC channel?

- try to connect before to check that IRC works
- we try to have some issues tagged with “sprint” on the issue tracker..
  but this time it will be focused on bugs for Pharo4, I guess.

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Marcus Denker-4

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

Marcus

On 28 Mar 2015, at 09:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

I started to add cases that people can look at.

Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Hey Marcus
Anything up there for the beginners ?

Marcus

On 03 Apr 2015, at 13:07, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Marcus
Anything up there for the beginners ?

Not really yet… I am focusing myself on Pharo4… where we are not in a state that simple
things are done (which often are cleanups).

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 Mar 2015, at 09:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

I started to add cases that people can look at.

Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Ohk.
No issues :)
Looking forward to other Pharo Sprints focusing on beginners :D

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 03 Apr 2015, at 13:07, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Marcus
Anything up there for the beginners ?

Not really yet… I am focusing myself on Pharo4… where we are not in a state that simple
things are done (which often are cleanups).

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 Mar 2015, at 09:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

I started to add cases that people can look at.

Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Hey Sean
Sure !
Am up for it
Could you suggest any specific task ?
Thanks
Jigyasa Grover

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Peter Uhnak
On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Marcus
Anything up there for the beginners ?

I often find it interesting to try to tackle more complex issues even though I know I will not be able to fix it - because I always learn a lot about the system from it.

Peter

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Marcus Denker-4

> On 03 Apr 2015, at 14:36, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ohk.
> No issues :)
> Looking forward to other Pharo Sprints focusing on beginners :D

Yes… maybe other people have ideas?

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Dmitri Zagidulin
Ideas for beginners, for Sprints etc:

* Adding class comments/documentation, as mentioned, is a fantastic idea. Maybe we can provide some code snippets, that will bring up a list of classes with missing comments (or with too-short comments, less than X characters). People can coordinate (on IRC, or via something like EtherPad) on who's working on which classes.

* Not related to core Pharo code itself, but still very helpful: Test various libraries for compatibility with Pharo 4.0. Pick your favorite pharo-related project or library off of SmalltalkHub (or SqueakSource, etc), try to load it into Pharo 4. Run the unit tests. Fix stuff until it loads fine in 4.0.Try and use the library in a simple demo project. Best yet, write a blog post about it. The success of Pharo largely depends on the success of its ecosystem of libraries and projects.

* Benchmark things. Which JSON library (of the several available) is faster at parsing large json objects in Pharo 4? That sort of thing.

* Write blog posts in general! Write tutorials and walkthroughs on how to use some of the new 4.0 features. Do programming puzzles / interview questions and post about em. Share tips on how you theme and customize your Pharo images, which tools you use most, and so on.

* As mentioned before, at least browse the open 4.0 issues on the pharo FogBugz. Try to think about how you'd go about discovering how to solve them. You'll learn a lot about the system. Also, once the issues are fixed, you can help test and confirm the fix (if you can figure out the 'how to reproduce' steps). Follow the 'to reproduce' steps to make sure you reproduce the error/issue. Then load the slice containing the fix from the pharo inbox repo, and redo the steps again to make sure it was fixed.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03 Apr 2015, at 14:36, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ohk.
> No issues :)
> Looking forward to other Pharo Sprints focusing on beginners :D

Yes… maybe other people have ideas?

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Thanks Dmitri !
Will try to contribute as much as I can :)

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Dmitri Zagidulin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ideas for beginners, for Sprints etc:

* Adding class comments/documentation, as mentioned, is a fantastic idea. Maybe we can provide some code snippets, that will bring up a list of classes with missing comments (or with too-short comments, less than X characters). People can coordinate (on IRC, or via something like EtherPad) on who's working on which classes.

* Not related to core Pharo code itself, but still very helpful: Test various libraries for compatibility with Pharo 4.0. Pick your favorite pharo-related project or library off of SmalltalkHub (or SqueakSource, etc), try to load it into Pharo 4. Run the unit tests. Fix stuff until it loads fine in 4.0.Try and use the library in a simple demo project. Best yet, write a blog post about it. The success of Pharo largely depends on the success of its ecosystem of libraries and projects.

* Benchmark things. Which JSON library (of the several available) is faster at parsing large json objects in Pharo 4? That sort of thing.

* Write blog posts in general! Write tutorials and walkthroughs on how to use some of the new 4.0 features. Do programming puzzles / interview questions and post about em. Share tips on how you theme and customize your Pharo images, which tools you use most, and so on.

* As mentioned before, at least browse the open 4.0 issues on the pharo FogBugz. Try to think about how you'd go about discovering how to solve them. You'll learn a lot about the system. Also, once the issues are fixed, you can help test and confirm the fix (if you can figure out the 'how to reproduce' steps). Follow the 'to reproduce' steps to make sure you reproduce the error/issue. Then load the slice containing the fix from the pharo inbox repo, and redo the steps again to make sure it was fixed.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03 Apr 2015, at 14:36, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ohk.
> No issues :)
> Looking forward to other Pharo Sprints focusing on beginners :D

Yes… maybe other people have ideas?

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Dmitri Zagidulin's message of 2015-04-03 18:28:01 +0200:

> Ideas for beginners, for Sprints etc:
>
> * Adding class comments/documentation, as mentioned, is a fantastic idea.
> Maybe we can provide some code snippets, that will bring up a list of
> classes with missing comments (or with too-short comments, less than X
> characters). People can coordinate (on IRC, or via something like EtherPad)
> on who's working on which classes.
>
> * Not related to core Pharo code itself, but still very helpful: Test
> various libraries for compatibility with Pharo 4.0. Pick your favorite
> pharo-related project or library off of SmalltalkHub (or SqueakSource,
> etc), try to load it into Pharo 4. Run the unit tests. Fix stuff until it
> loads fine in 4.0.Try and use the library in a simple demo project. Best
> yet, write a blog post about it. The success of Pharo largely depends on
> the success of its ecosystem of libraries and projects.

nice ideas. though beginners may not have any favourite projects.
are there any stats on which projects are popular so those can be chosen for
testing?

> * Write blog posts in general! Write tutorials and walkthroughs on how to
> use some of the new 4.0 features.

same problem here, being new to pharo, i would not even know what the new
features are.  this should be documented in release-notes probably.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Martin Bähr <[hidden email]> wrote:
nice ideas. though beginners may not have any favourite projects.
are there any stats on which projects are popular so those can be chosen for
testing?

You're right. I think by 'favorite', I meant more like 'areas you care about in general, even outside of Pharo'. For example, say you're interested in data processing in general. You can ask, "How would I go about downloading a comma-separated (CSV) file, read it into Pharo, and display a graph?" This involves learning how to do File I/O, checking to see if there's a CSV library compatible with Pharo, and checking to see what sort of graphing libraries exist (I believe one was mentioned recently on the mailing list, Roassal or something). In similar vein, you can check out XML parsers, JSON parsers, etc, etc.

Or you can ask "How do I connect to a relational database? I've heard Glorp mentioned, and OpenDBX, etc, so which of these would actually work in Pharo 4?".

Or, For example, maybe you care about social media APIs. You can then think, "Hey I wonder if there are any Twitter or Facebook client libraries for Pharo. Maybe there's an Open Social API (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSocial ) library that I can check out."

That sort of thing.

> * Write blog posts in general! Write tutorials and walkthroughs on how to
> use some of the new 4.0 features.

same problem here, being new to pharo, i would not even know what the new
features are.  this should be documented in release-notes probably.

Of course, understood. Then write posts about new user impressions of Pharo 4 (keeping in mind the usual "this is open source software" / "the devs are busy so don't be too harsh on them" sort of stuff). Or short tutorials on the various small things that you've figured out to do. (Like a cron job that fires up your Pharo image on the command line).

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

HilaireFernandes
Le 03/04/2015 18:58, Dmitri Zagidulin a écrit :
> You're right. I think by 'favorite', I meant more like 'areas you care
> about in general, even outside of Pharo'. For example, say you're
> interested in data processing in general. You can ask, "How would I go
> about downloading a comma-separated (CSV) file, read it into Pharo,
> and display a graph?" This involves learning how to do File

Right
How-to documentation and examples will add a lot of value to Pharo,
especially for beginner and the community.

I remember the old time of GNU/Linux How-to[1], there were incredibly
useful for me when I learn GNU/Linux.

Hilaire

[1] http://tldp.org/docs.html#howto

--