Pharo support for magma repositories

Markus Fritsche-3
Hello,

I registered a project at squeaksource:
http://www.squeaksource.com/MagmaPharoSupport.html

In my pharo image ;-) (I will check loading in a clean pharo image in
a bit) this enables using (local, server not yet tested) magma
repositories with the Pharo version of Monticello. It also alters the
cleanup-method of MagmaSession to be working with Pharo (PointerFinder
vs. ProtoObject>>#pointersTo).

If anyone wants to join the project, you're welcome.

Pharo version:
Pharo1.3a
Latest update: #13177

Magma:
Ma client server cmm.217
Ma base additions cmm.187
Magma server cmm.425

Kind regards,
Markus Fritsche

Re: Pharo support for magma repositories

Igor Stasenko
Hi, Markus.

I'm sorry, maybe i'm out of sync, but may i ask why you created a
separate repository for it?
I think it would be better to commit to magma repository (of course
you need to ask for access).
But keeping everything in single place is better.

I think that changes are not too big for making a copy of  all
packages in separate repository.
If i remember correctly , Chris already had Magma-Pharo, and
Magma-Squeak specific installations,
which used to contain a fork-specific stuff.
If not, i think it worth to create them, in order to keep a shared
codebase in single place,
and only what is different in separate packages.

On 1 May 2011 16:56, Markus Fritsche <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I registered a project at squeaksource:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/MagmaPharoSupport.html
>
> In my pharo image ;-) (I will check loading in a clean pharo image in
> a bit) this enables using (local, server not yet tested) magma
> repositories with the Pharo version of Monticello. It also alters the
> cleanup-method of MagmaSession to be working with Pharo (PointerFinder
> vs. ProtoObject>>#pointersTo).
>
> If anyone wants to join the project, you're welcome.
>
> Pharo version:
> Pharo1.3a
> Latest update: #13177
>
> Magma:
> Ma client server cmm.217
> Ma base additions cmm.187
> Magma server cmm.425
>

> Kind regards,
> Markus Fritsche

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Pharo support for magma repositories

Markus Fritsche-3
Hello,

sure - I just wanted to push it away from my hard disc (scary, unsafe
place for smalltalk code) to a repository.

If Chris add me to one of the Magma repositories, I am happy to use
that one for my commits.

Regards,
Markus

2011/5/1 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, Markus.
>
> I'm sorry, maybe i'm out of sync, but may i ask why you created a
> separate repository for it?
> I think it would be better to commit to magma repository (of course
> you need to ask for access).
> But keeping everything in single place is better.
>
> I think that changes are not too big for making a copy of  all
> packages in separate repository.
> If i remember correctly , Chris already had Magma-Pharo, and
> Magma-Squeak specific installations,
> which used to contain a fork-specific stuff.
> If not, i think it worth to create them, in order to keep a shared
> codebase in single place,
> and only what is different in separate packages.
>

> On 1 May 2011 16:56, Markus Fritsche <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I registered a project at squeaksource:
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/MagmaPharoSupport.html
>>
>> In my pharo image ;-) (I will check loading in a clean pharo image in
>> a bit) this enables using (local, server not yet tested) magma
>> repositories with the Pharo version of Monticello. It also alters the
>> cleanup-method of MagmaSession to be working with Pharo (PointerFinder
>> vs. ProtoObject>>#pointersTo).
>>
>> If anyone wants to join the project, you're welcome.
>>
>> Pharo version:
>> Pharo1.3a
>> Latest update: #13177
>>
>> Magma:
>> Ma client server cmm.217
>> Ma base additions cmm.187
>> Magma server cmm.425
>>

>> Kind regards,
>> Markus Fritsche

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Pharo support for magma repositories

Chris Muller-3
Hi Markus, thanks for taking action to keep Magma going for Pharo.
However, I want to be careful about creating new places where Magma
code is kept; new Pharo people will see "Magma-Pharo-Support" and will
go there to get Magma.  If there is a problem I am not prepared to
support that because I have limited resources; so I will be forced to
say, "see the official installation page:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657", which only involves the official
Magma repository, not this new one.

Thank you again for your initiative, but let's please coordinate.
First, regarding the change you made in MagmaSession class>>#cleanUp,
I actually don't think that code is necessary anymore since we moved
from BlockContexts to BlockClosures.  We definitely don't want to let
that be a reason to branch Magma's packages.

All of the other changes appear to be things that will be taken care
of when Pharo integrates the Monticello Repository refactor from
Squeak.  Once that is done, we most likely (hopefully!) won't need a
Magma-Pharo-Support project at all.

Of course, there is always the possibility of needing something to
bridge Squeak<->Pharo divergence in the future, and when that time
comes, we should discuss the best approach here on the list.  Until
then, please know from the wiki that there is a "Magma Inbox" project
on SqueakSource which is World-writable.

 - Chris

2011/5/2 Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Markus, thanks for taking action to keep Magma going for Pharo.
> However, I want to be careful about creating new places where Magma
> code is kept; new Pharo people will see "Magma-Pharo-Support" and will
> go there to get Magma.  If there is a problem I am not prepared to
> support that because I have limited resources; so I will be forced to
> say, "see the official installation page:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657", which only involves the official
> Magma repository, not this new one.

This was a mistake by me; I was not aware that adding of dependencies
to a monticello package silently copies the packages between
repositories.

> Thank you again for your initiative, but let's please coordinate.
> First, regarding the change you made in MagmaSession class>>#cleanUp,
> I actually don't think that code is necessary anymore since we moved
> from BlockContexts to BlockClosures.  We definitely don't want to let
> that be a reason to branch Magma's packages.

Ok.

> All of the other changes appear to be things that will be taken care
> of when Pharo integrates the Monticello Repository refactor from
> Squeak.  Once that is done, we most likely (hopefully!) won't need a
> Magma-Pharo-Support project at all.

Once that is done, the mcz should be changed to be empty.

> Of course, there is always the possibility of needing something to
> bridge Squeak<->Pharo divergence in the future, and when that time
> comes, we should discuss the best approach here on the list.  Until
> then, please know from the wiki that there is a "Magma Inbox" project
> on SqueakSource which is World-writable.

So should I create a package there (maybe with another name)?

Regards,
 Markus

On 2 May 2011 02:42, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you again for your initiative, but let's please coordinate.

Yes, yes. Please coordinate.
I definitely would like to use magma in future, and
i don't want to be clueless about, what code to load and from which place.

Unless a new code contains a radical changes which makes it completely
incompatible and/or adds new features
which are not in official Magma, i don't see reasons why we need to
have separate repository for Magma. :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Pharo support for magma repositories

Markus Fritsche-3
Hello,

to clarify: this was not meant as "separate repository for magma" at
all - I am not making changes to the magma packages (except for a
method, that, as I learnt, wasn't meant to be there in the first
place). It's a few methods that are needed to use the magma monticello
repository in a pharo at it's state *NOW*.

I loaded magma, I found stuff that didn't work, gave me dnus, created
dead magma sessions, so I decided to fix it.

Regards,
Markus

On 2 May 2011 11:42, Markus Fritsche <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> to clarify: this was not meant as "separate repository for magma" at
> all - I am not making changes to the magma packages (except for a
> method, that, as I learnt, wasn't meant to be there in the first
> place). It's a few methods that are needed to use the magma monticello
> repository in a pharo at it's state *NOW*.
>
> I loaded magma, I found stuff that didn't work, gave me dnus, created
> dead magma sessions, so I decided to fix it.

Yes, i understand what you done and i appreciate it.
We're all for having working Magma on pharo!
I didn't wanted to discourage you ,
my only issue was where to put the results of your work (it should be
in Magma inbox) and nothing else :)

> Regards,
> Markus
>
> 2011/5/2 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> Unless a new code contains a radical changes which makes it completely
>> incompatible and/or adds new features
>> which are not in official Magma, i don't see reasons why we need to
>> have separate repository for Magma. :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Pharo support for magma repositories

Markus Fritsche-3
Hello Igor, hello list,

> Yes, i understand what you done and i appreciate it.
> We're all for having working Magma on pharo!
> I didn't wanted to discourage you ,
> my only issue was where to put the results of your work (it should be
> in Magma inbox) and nothing else :)

Thanks for clarification. I uploaded it to the "inbox" and will close
the other one.

Regards,
Markus