Pharo tips

melkyades
Hi,
   I was thinking that new users can get much help from did you know tips. But I don't like regular tips, which are shown in a modal window that just bothers the user. This are shown at the top of the window and should rotate automatically after some time.
   I developed the code in squeak4 because I had an image already open, and now when I open it in pharo I see that I have SystemWindowButton class missing. What steps should I follow to port that from Squeak? You can see a screenshot below, and are invited to write more tips, like keyboard shortcuts and anything you think is useful.
    By the way it is in

http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoTips

and you open it doing

PharoTipsMorph show.

Hope someone likes it,
                              Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

screenshot.png (122K) Download Attachment

Re: Pharo tips

Stéphane Ducasse
Javier

this is fun.
I saw that somebody did a kind a growl widget for Squeak.

Stef

On May 14, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Javier Pimás wrote:

> Hi,
>    I was thinking that new users can get much help from did you know tips. But I don't like regular tips, which are shown in a modal window that just bothers the user. This are shown at the top of the window and should rotate automatically after some time.
>    I developed the code in squeak4 because I had an image already open, and now when I open it in pharo I see that I have SystemWindowButton class missing. What steps should I follow to port that from Squeak? You can see a screenshot below, and are invited to write more tips, like keyboard shortcuts and anything you think is useful.
>     By the way it is in
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoTips
>
> and you open it doing
>
> PharoTipsMorph show.
>
> Hope someone likes it,
>                               Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
> <screenshot.png>_______________________________________________

Re: Pharo tips

melkyades
Stephane,
              I'll have a look. I't would be easy to add growl as a backend, as presentation and model are separated from the start. What I wonder is if growl fits in here, isn't it a system wide notification system?

Regards,
           Javier.

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Javier

this is fun.
I saw that somebody did a kind a growl widget for Squeak.

Stef

On May 14, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Javier Pimás wrote:

> Hi,
>    I was thinking that new users can get much help from did you know tips. But I don't like regular tips, which are shown in a modal window that just bothers the user. This are shown at the top of the window and should rotate automatically after some time.
>    I developed the code in squeak4 because I had an image already open, and now when I open it in pharo I see that I have SystemWindowButton class missing. What steps should I follow to port that from Squeak? You can see a screenshot below, and are invited to write more tips, like keyboard shortcuts and anything you think is useful.
>     By the way it is in
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoTips
>
> and you open it doing
>
> PharoTipsMorph show.
>
> Hope someone likes it,
>                               Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires
> <screenshot.png>_______________________________________________

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Pharo tips

Stéphane Ducasse
I did have a look at it.
But I forgot :) I found it fun.

Stef

> Stephane,
>               I'll have a look. I't would be easy to add growl as a backend, as presentation and model are separated from the start. What I wonder is if growl fits in here, isn't it a system wide notification system?
>
> Regards,
>            Javier.
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Javier
>
> this is fun.
> I saw that somebody did a kind a growl widget for Squeak.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 14, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Javier Pimás wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    I was thinking that new users can get much help from did you know tips. But I don't like regular tips, which are shown in a modal window that just bothers the user. This are shown at the top of the window and should rotate automatically after some time.
> >    I developed the code in squeak4 because I had an image already open, and now when I open it in pharo I see that I have SystemWindowButton class missing. What steps should I follow to port that from Squeak? You can see a screenshot below, and are invited to write more tips, like keyboard shortcuts and anything you think is useful.
> >     By the way it is in
> >
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoTips
> >
> > and you open it doing
> >
> > PharoTipsMorph show.
> >
> > Hope someone likes it,
> >                               Javier.
> >
> > --
> > Javier Pimás
> > Ciudad de Buenos Aires
> > <screenshot.png>_______________________________________________

> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Pharo tips

Igor Stasenko
On 14 May 2010 21:35, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did have a look at it.
> But I forgot :) I found it fun.

+1 i like these bits. They greatly helping people to enter a new domain.
Its interesting, somehow to do it a context-sensitive.
So, depending on a focused window (i.e. browser, workspace, debugger
and so on), it could
choost a tip for given context, like:
'did you know that to find a class by name in browser you can do ... '
and, if you currently in debugger, it could show a tips related to
debugger, like:
'did you know that in debugger you can type or select one of the
method's expression and then inspect or evaluate
in the context of current method... '

> Stef
>
>> Stephane,
>>               I'll have a look. I't would be easy to add growl as a backend, as presentation and model are separated from the start. What I wonder is if growl fits in here, isn't it a system wide notification system?
>>
>> Regards,
>>            Javier.
>>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Javier
>>
>> this is fun.
>> I saw that somebody did a kind a growl widget for Squeak.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 14, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Javier Pimás wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >    I was thinking that new users can get much help from did you know tips. But I don't like regular tips, which are shown in a modal window that just bothers the user. This are shown at the top of the window and should rotate automatically after some time.
>> >    I developed the code in squeak4 because I had an image already open, and now when I open it in pharo I see that I have SystemWindowButton class missing. What steps should I follow to port that from Squeak? You can see a screenshot below, and are invited to write more tips, like keyboard shortcuts and anything you think is useful.
>> >     By the way it is in
>> >
>> > http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoTips
>> >
>> > and you open it doing
>> >
>> > PharoTipsMorph show.
>> >
>> > Hope someone likes it,
>> >                               Javier.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Javier Pimás
>> > Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>> > <screenshot.png>_______________________________________________

>> --
>> Javier Pimás
>> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Pharo tips

melkyades
Yes!! I was thinking of the same kind of things. We could use help from someone who knows morphic better on how to detect things like

- which window you are working
- what you are doing ;)
- what menu items / tools you use most.
- any intresting thing you could think

Javier.

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 May 2010 21:35, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did have a look at it.
> But I forgot :) I found it fun.

+1 i like these bits. They greatly helping people to enter a new domain.
Its interesting, somehow to do it a context-sensitive.
So, depending on a focused window (i.e. browser, workspace, debugger
and so on), it could
choost a tip for given context, like:
'did you know that to find a class by name in browser you can do ... '
and, if you currently in debugger, it could show a tips related to
debugger, like:
'did you know that in debugger you can type or select one of the
method's expression and then inspect or evaluate
in the context of current method... '

> Stef
>
>> Stephane,
>>               I'll have a look. I't would be easy to add growl as a backend, as presentation and model are separated from the start. What I wonder is if growl fits in here, isn't it a system wide notification system?
>>
>> Regards,
>>            Javier.
>>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Javier
>>
>> this is fun.
>> I saw that somebody did a kind a growl widget for Squeak.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 14, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Javier Pimás wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >    I was thinking that new users can get much help from did you know tips. But I don't like regular tips, which are shown in a modal window that just bothers the user. This are shown at the top of the window and should rotate automatically after some time.
>> >    I developed the code in squeak4 because I had an image already open, and now when I open it in pharo I see that I have SystemWindowButton class missing. What steps should I follow to port that from Squeak? You can see a screenshot below, and are invited to write more tips, like keyboard shortcuts and anything you think is useful.
>> >     By the way it is in
>> >
>> > http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoTips
>> >
>> > and you open it doing
>> >
>> > PharoTipsMorph show.
>> >
>> > Hope someone likes it,
>> >                               Javier.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Javier Pimás
>> > Ciudad de Buenos Aires
>> > <screenshot.png>_______________________________________________

>> --
>> Javier Pimás
>> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Pharo tips

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/5/14 Javier Pimás <[hidden email]>
Yes!! I was thinking of the same kind of things. We could use help from someone who knows morphic better on how to detect things like

- which window you are working
- what you are doing ;)
- what menu items / tools you use most.
- any intresting thing you could think

these ideas are getting closer to WorkingSet   http://n2.nabble.com/ANN-WorkingSet-td4286093.html#a4286093

maybe come kind of integration ?

Javier.

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14 May 2010 21:35, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did have a look at it.
> But I forgot :) I found it fun.

+1 i like these bits. They greatly helping people to enter a new domain.
Its interesting, somehow to do it a context-sensitive.
So, depending on a focused window (i.e. browser, workspace, debugger
and so on), it could
choost a tip for given context, like:
'did you know that to find a class by name in browser you can do ... '
and, if you currently in debugger, it could show a tips related to
debugger, like:
'did you know that in debugger you can type or select one of the
method's expression and then inspect or evaluate
in the context of current method... '

> Stef
>
>> Stephane,
>>               I'll have a look. I't would be easy to add growl as a backend, as presentation and model are separated from the start. What I wonder is if growl fits in here, isn't it a system wide notification system?
>>
>> Regards,
>>            Javier.
>>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Javier
>>
>> this is fun.
>> I saw that somebody did a kind a growl widget for Squeak.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 14, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Javier Pimás wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >    I was thinking that new users can get much help from did you know tips. But I don't like regular tips, which are shown in a modal window that just bothers the user. This are shown at the top of the window and should rotate automatically after some time.
>> >    I developed the code in squeak4 because I had an image already open, and now when I open it in pharo I see that I have SystemWindowButton class missing. What steps should I follow to port that from Squeak? You can see a screenshot below, and are invited to write more tips, like keyboard shortcuts and anything you think is useful.
>> >     By the way it is in
>> >
>> > http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoTips
>> >
>> > and you open it doing
>> >
>> > PharoTipsMorph show.