Pharo tips

Torsten Bergmann
File in the attached #initialize method after

Run

   PharoTipsMorph show

Then you have:
 - a working Pharo version by using "IconicButton"
 - better back/forward icons
 - the text non-editable when you click on it
 - a different color according to Polymorph look
   (the old yellow color remind too much on the annoying web page
    security bar from Internet explorer)

If we use it in a dev-image we should consider placing the
logo at another location:

|logo|
logo := World submorphs detect: [:each | each isKindOf: ImageMorph].
logo bounds: (4@34 corner: 379@169)

See attached screenshot.

One thing that still strikes me is that it does not resize when
the outside native window is resized - which is hard to do
since there is not yet an event from the VM for that.
(see [1])

Bye
T.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/pharo-project@.../msg21761.html

PharoTipsMorph-initialize.st (2K) Download Attachment
pharotip.png (122K) Download Attachment

Re: Pharo tips

melkyades
Nice!!! That looks wonderful, you just got a write permission in squeaksource ;) Could you please commit these changes?

Is there a standard code to distinguish pharo from squeak, so we can detect which morphs we should use for buttons??

Regards,
            Javier.

2010/5/14 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
[...]

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Pharo tips

Mariano Martinez Peck
Javier, if people agree we can include it in PharoDev 1.1. Maybe not right now, but once it is stable and with several tips...

what do you think ?

Another idea: those tips are cool to read them there, but also would be cool to have such tricks in http://book.pharo-project.org/

So...what about a way of parsing and autogenerting tricks from an URL of the book ?  Or vice-versa, from trips in your app, generate the Pier sintax for the book ;)

Cheers

Mariano

2010/5/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
Javier, if people agree we can include it in PharoDev 1.1. Maybe not right now, but once it is stable and with several tips...

what do you think ?

Of course! I'd be glad of that. Did I say anyone with any tips is welcome??

Another idea: those tips are cool to read them there, but also would be cool to have such tricks in http://book.pharo-project.org/

So...what about a way of parsing and autogenerting tricks from an URL of the book ?  Or vice-versa, from trips in your app, generate the Pier sintax for the book ;)

Cool, I'll have a look at pier syntax then.

Cheers

Mariano

Regards,
            Javier.

[...]

No. But now you did it ;)

Ok...I created the following wiki page to list all the tips. The idea is that all people (mostly newcomers) can fill and put tips there. It is like a repository of tips. Then you get them from there, adapt it and put it inside your project.

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoTips

You should send a separate public email to both mailing lists (pharo and pharo-users) asking for tips.

Cheers

Mariano

[...]

Stéphane Ducasse

On May 15, 2010, at 5:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/5/14 Javier Pimás <[hidden email]>
>

> 2010/5/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
> Javier, if people agree we can include it in PharoDev 1.1. Maybe not right now, but once it is stable and with several tips...
>
> what do you think ?
>

> Of course! I'd be glad of that. Did I say anyone with any tips is welcome??
>
> No. But now you did it ;)
>
> Ok...I created the following wiki page to list all the tips. The idea is that all people (mostly newcomers) can fill and put tips there. It is like a repository of tips. Then you get them from there, adapt it and put it inside your project.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoTips

I want to know the answers :)

Re: Pharo tips

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 15, 2010, at 5:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/5/14 Javier Pimás <[hidden email]>
>

> 2010/5/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
> Javier, if people agree we can include it in PharoDev 1.1. Maybe not right now, but once it is stable and with several tips...
>
> what do you think ?
>

> Of course! I'd be glad of that. Did I say anyone with any tips is welcome??
>
> No. But now you did it ;)
>
> Ok...I created the following wiki page to list all the tips. The idea is that all people (mostly newcomers) can fill and put tips there. It is like a repository of tips. Then you get them from there, adapt it and put it inside your project.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PharoTips

I want to know the answers :)

I know, I know. But I didn't put them intentionally. So that we push PharoTips...otherwhise people will just read the wiki hahahahhaha

they are secret :)

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Pharo tips

csrabak
Em 14/05/2010 12:35, Javier Pimás <[hidden email]> escreveu:

[snipped]

> Is there a standard code to distinguish pharo from squeak, so we can
> detect which morphs we should use for buttons??

I know these things are more matter of opinion on style than properly strict guidelines, but I want to express my own opinion on this.

I think that putting such kind of code in this package goes in wrong direction as it departs from good OO design.

IMHO if we cannot (for whichever rife reasons) arrive at a common API for morph in Pharo and Squeak we should fork it in two versions¹, should a Squeak one deserve an existence given the idea is to have _Pharo_ _tips_ which I believe are very specific to one of the two environments.

my 0.019999....

--
Cesar Rabak

[1]  or find an alternative which be more general like other packages do for keeping multiplatform, if these "Pharo tips" become a more general "Tips" package