Pharo tutorials

Goubier Thierry
Is that just me, or... The pharo tutorials are read-only in 30782, and
therefore I can't open a menu and 'do it (d)' ?

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo tutorials

pharo4Stef@free.fr
what is pharo tutorials?
On 27 Feb 2014, at 15:10, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is that just me, or... The pharo tutorials are read-only in 30782, and therefore I can't open a menu and 'do it (d)' ?
>
> Thierry
> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo tutorials

Nicolai Hess
Menu
World->Help->Pharo Tutorials
In the "Browse tutorials" window, you can not open the menu.
This is a bit misleading, a the "PharoSyntax Tutorial"-"Welcome" says:

So let's go to the first lesson.  Select the text below, right-click and choose 'do it (d)'"

PharoTutorial next.

right click doesn't work.

But you can open the same Tutorial with
PharoTutorial first
In that window you can use the menu.

what is pharo tutorials?
On 27 Feb 2014, at 15:10, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is that just me, or... The pharo tutorials are read-only in 30782, and therefore I can't open a menu and 'do it (d)' ?
>
> Thierry
> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: <a href="tel:%2B33%20%280%29%201%2069%2008%2032%2092" value="+33169083292">+33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo tutorials

Tyler Sperry
> what is pharo tutorials?

I just ran across this issue tonight after installing the 4/10 build of Pharo 3.0 on a Windows netbook.
At first I thought it was a 3.0 beta quirk, but no, things worked the same way when I tried it in a
fresh 2.0 image as well.

The problem is that users get to the tutorials from the "Browse tutorials" window, which has
a different behavior than a window created by the tutorial itself. From World > Help > Pharo Tutorials
you are in a browser that won't generate menus for selected text. So if you navigate in the left pane
to "Welcome" you see text that tells you to select "PharoTutorial next." and right click your way to a
"do it (d)" option. The problem is that you can't actually get *any* right click menu for selected right-pane text.

I'm a Smalltalk noob, but not a *complete* noob, so I tried Alt+d and sure enough, I got the next
Professor Stef lesson in its own window, where the right click menus work fine.

Thierry's guess about read only status doesn't seem to totally explain the issue. You can, for example,
pick a random lesson in the "Browse tutorials" left pane and the right pane contents will exhibit the same
behavior: select + right click doesn't work, but select and Alt+D/P works as expected (I.e. Alt-p will
alter the lesson's text.)

I can understand why this subject wouldn't show up for most Pharo users: they are experienced
Smalltalkers who use the keyboard shortcuts instead of the menus. Given that Pharo isn't targeting
beginners it's not a big deal, but I would suggest the text for that first "Welcome" tutorial lesson be
changed to tell the student to use Alt+d or Command+d instead of the current frustrating menu
suggestion. The second lesson will appear in something like a normal workspace window, and that's
where the option of keyboard or mouse menu could be explained.

Tyler

Re: Pharo tutorials

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Yes, you are right, this is a bit silly.

It looks as if it's even done on purpose:

HelpBrowser>>#initWindow

        "Text"
        contentMorph := self defaultViewerClass on: self
                        text: nil accept: nil
                        readSelection: nil menu: nil.

Not sure what to do, the HelpBrowser does not seem to be Spec based.
It would be nice if we could fix this.