[Pharo-user] Does SSDP package supposed to work on Pharo 6?

[Pharo-user] Does SSDP package supposed to work on Pharo 6?

Denis Kudriashov
Hi.
Question probably to Henrik.

I try SSDP on latest Pharo 6 and code for server and client signal primitive error on #primGetAddressInfoHost:service:flags:family:type:protocol:.

Do you know about such problems? Does it VM or code needs to be adapted for Pharo6?

Re: [Pharo-user] Does SSDP package supposed to work on Pharo 6?

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On 9 Feb 2017, at 16:10 , Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.
Question probably to Henrik.

I try SSDP on latest Pharo 6 and code for server and client signal primitive error on #primGetAddressInfoHost:service:flags:family:type:protocol:.

Do you know about such problems? Does it VM or code needs to be adapted for Pharo6?

Yes, there are some errors that can crop up, usually related to hostname resolution wrt. domains, I've seen the same...
Running DNS resolution to get the available interfaces is a kludge, I've yet to find a good cross-platform solution short of writing new network primitives to query interfaces directly (which I haven't done yet :/ ).

In SSDPParticipant >> hostName, there's a special branch for OSX that (I think) was added to solve similar prim errors under El Capitan, IIRC, it worked "on my machine" (when I had the same error running Sierra, when connected to a network with a domain) if I removed the branch, stripping domain consistently.

What could (no, should) be done, is add API to start participants running on the default interface (ie, create single sockets on 0.0.0.0), rather than try to start listening on all available, for 99% of cases, that's probably sufficient...

If you'd like to add that, tell me, and I'll add you to contributors.

Cheers,
Henry