[Pharo-users] Label truncation in new Pharo 8.0 64-bit (stable)

1 message Options

[Pharo-users] Label truncation in new Pharo 8.0 64-bit (stable)

Shaping1

(Third try.)

Can someone answer the questions below the screenshot showing the truncated labels?

They are repeated here:

1) Can anyone suggest a fix (a code fix) for the truncated labels shown below in the screenshot of the Setting window?  This happens in the Git client too?  It happens when a fixed-width font is chosen as the default font.

This is a design flaw in the GUIs.  Cycling Settings (or any other Windows showing the same truncated-labels problem) isn’t a fix, even if the window renders correctly the second time.  The damaged area of the window is still not being invalidated correctly and then redrawn, or it is, and then is partially overdraw by the data fields to the right of the labels.  Changing the font to any fixed-width font causes this problem, even without changing the default font size (10).  You can see this by expanding all nodes in Settings, and paging down through them.  The longest labels will be incompletely rendered.

A possible solution is to use a 2-column layout, where the left column displays right-justified labels and the right one displays the matching left-justified data, checkbox, dropdown, etc.  The left label-column could be auto-sized on opening after the longest label’s size is determined.

I mention this problem many months ago, in the midst of another failed port from VW, and presented the same screenshots.  Stef made some comments about how this should not be happening, and seemed to be unhappy with the situation.  I thought therefore that there would be some resolve to fix the issue broadly throughout the dev environ, but I don’t know what came of that.  I figured the fix was waiting for Spec2, which is now here.

Is there a Spec2 expert here who can suggest how to use the new framework to fix the problem?

2) Will all Pharo tools be rewritten in Spec2, and does its formatting scheme solve the label-formatting problem, as font size is changed?

3) Why don’t we opt for easy elastic/zoomable GUIs by implementing Pharo as a web app?  Has this been  discussed?  Willow is looking very good.  Is rendering speed still a problem for a complex web GUI served by localhost?  For the localhost case, the speed difference seems to be approaching 0.

Shaping