Pharo v. Squeak for Seaside development?

Pharo v. Squeak for Seaside development?

John Chludzinski
Looking for the latest Comet *.mcz to install I came across Pharo, a
Squeak variant for Seaside development.  The question is should I use
Pharo as a starting point for Seaside development and forgo the
pursuit of the "latest & greatest" Comet, Scriptaculous, Magritte,
etc. or are there maturity/stability issues with Pharo that would
argue in favor of Squeak + the necessary installs?

---John

Re: Pharo v. Squeak for Seaside development?

stephane ducasse
Hi john

Lukas is using pharo for most of his developments.
Now pharo is alpha, we are working on getting beta but still we will
have to chase bugs.
Now give a try and check.
STef

On May 19, 2009, at 5:18 PM, John Chludzinski wrote:

> Looking for the latest Comet *.mcz to install I came across Pharo, a
> Squeak variant for Seaside development.  The question is should I use
> Pharo as a starting point for Seaside development and forgo the
> pursuit of the "latest & greatest" Comet, Scriptaculous, Magritte,
> etc. or are there maturity/stability issues with Pharo that would
> argue in favor of Squeak + the necessary installs?
>
> ---John

Re: Pharo v. Squeak for Seaside development?

Lukas Renggli
Yes, I am using Pharo. Works pretty well for an alpha version.

You might want to check out the Pharo images of Damien (with Seaside
and Pier), see http://www.pharo-project.org/download>. These images
are based on Pharo and come with Seaside, Magritte, Pier, and many
additional development tools pre-loaded. To get Comet simply load the
package from the Seaside repository.

Lukas

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 7:26 PM, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi john
>
> Lukas is using pharo for most of his developments.
> Now pharo is alpha, we are working on getting beta but still we will have to
> chase bugs.
> Now give a try and check.
> STef
>

> On May 19, 2009, at 5:18 PM, John Chludzinski wrote:
>
>> Looking for the latest Comet *.mcz to install I came across Pharo, a
>> Squeak variant for Seaside development.  The question is should I use
>> Pharo as a starting point for Seaside development and forgo the
>> pursuit of the "latest & greatest" Comet, Scriptaculous, Magritte,
>> etc. or are there maturity/stability issues with Pharo that would
>> argue in favor of Squeak + the necessary installs?
>>
>> ---John

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo v. Squeak for Seaside development?

Lukas Renggli
> additional development tools pre-loaded. To get Comet simply load the
> package from the Seaside repository.

I just noticed that you also need to first load the package
Scriptaculous from the same repository.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli