Pharo3.0 + Swap Ctrl and Alt keys

grt

Pharo3.0 + Swap Ctrl and Alt keys

grt
Hi all,

In Pharo 2.0 i find that "Ctrl+d" would do the doIt in workspace. In Pharo3.0 for doIt, i need to do "Alt+d".

1) Is this change intentional?
2) if so am i advised to practice all the shortcuts using Alt keys instead of Ctrl key for pahro 3?
3) Any way to bring back the Ctrl/Alt swap settings (I have asked this before in stackoverflow)
4) Any one knows a hack or workaround for this?

Actually i was trying to figure out point 4) but no luck till now. I changed it in keymappings builders in AbstractNautilusUI and similar places but it simply dont work.

Any help is appreciated and TIA.

G R Thushar

Re: Pharo3.0 + Swap Ctrl and Alt keys

philippeback
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Thushar G R <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

In Pharo 2.0 i find that "Ctrl+d" would do the doIt in workspace. In Pharo3.0 for doIt, i need to do "Alt+d".

1) Is this change intentional?
2) if so am i advised to practice all the shortcuts using Alt keys instead of Ctrl key for pahro 3?
3) Any way to bring back the Ctrl/Alt swap settings (I have asked this before in stackoverflow)
4) Any one knows a hack or workaround for this?

Actually i was trying to figure out point 4) but no luck till now. I changed it in keymappings builders in AbstractNautilusUI and similar places but it simply dont work.

Any help is appreciated and TIA.

G R Thushar

I can't help you on that specific. I'll just add some more questions:

Why on Linux can't I use the Cmd/Alt/Whatever  + click on a method name and get to the implementors list like I can on Mac and Windows? (Mac: Cmd-Click, Win: Right-Alt-Click)

Is this a VM thing?

Phil

grt

Re: Pharo3.0 + Swap Ctrl and Alt keys

grt
Can anyone confirm this

1) Open fresh Pharo3 image in Windows.
2) Go to TextEditor>> buildTextEditorShortcutsOn:
3) Change the last line from

      (aBuilder shortcut: #cursorEnd)
category: #TextEditor
default: Character end ctrl win | Character end ctrl unix | Character end command mac
do: [ :target :morph :event | target cursorEnd: event ]

       (aBuilder shortcut: #cursorEnd)
category: #TextEditor
default: Character end ctrl win | Character end ctrl unix | Character end command mac
do: [ :target :morph :event |
                              self halt.
                              target cursorEnd: event ]

4) Take a workspace and do "Ctrl + d" on "1 inspect."

What happens for me is that it goes into the halt that we placed in step 3). And what i dont understand is why do it match the Keystroke
"Ctrl+d" with "Ctrl + END". If you go back the stack you will find that's exactly whats happening. Let me know if i made some mistakes here..

Thanks for helping,

G R Thushar

G R Thushar
Team Leader(Technology),
Signos Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Ground Floor A.R Plaza, TC 11/43 (2),
P.M.G Junction,
Thiruvananthapuram, 695004. Kerala, India.

Phone: +919846577772

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicolai Hess
[...]

I can confirm this.
Ctrl+d has some special meaning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-transmission_character

Squeak ( and older pharo versions) are aware on this and translate the ctrl+d (keyvalue 4) to alt+d (keyvalue 100),
if some preferences are enabled (duplicate(All)ControlAltKeys or SwapControlAndAltKeys).
This is somewhere lost in recent pharo versions.

Thanks for helping,

G R Thushar

G R Thushar
Team Leader(Technology),
Signos Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Ground Floor A.R Plaza, TC 11/43 (2),
P.M.G Junction,
Thiruvananthapuram, 695004. Kerala, India.

Phone: <a href="tel:%2B919846577772" value="+919846577772" target="_blank">+919846577772

[...]

stepharo
We started to clean the character conversions because the logic was not
good.
Now we hope that with the new handling of events it will get better because
the vm does not emit certain characters and this is difficult to do
something about it.

Now I would have prefered that the changes do not impact you guys.

Stef