Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pharo5 download for linux - interpreter cannot read image file

Andreas Sunardi
I'm on CentOS 6.5 and I downloaded Pharo 5 for GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15 and for CentOS. Both won't start (I have no problem with Windows version):

$ pharo
This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).
Press CR to quit...

I'm unable to find report or information about this issue on the web. I think it was like this ~2 months ago as well. Is this a known issue?

First time posting question in this mailing list, so I beg your pardon if I break any mailing list rule.

--
Andreas S
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pharo5 download for linux - interpreter cannot read image file

vonbecmann
i already submitted a similar issue

check it and see if it is the same

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm on CentOS 6.5 and I downloaded Pharo 5 for GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15 and for CentOS. Both won't start (I have no problem with Windows version):

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

I'm unable to find report or information about this issue on the web. I think it was like this ~2 months ago as well. Is this a known issue?

First time posting question in this mailing list, so I beg your pardon if I break any mailing list rule.

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.
Reply | Threaded
|

Clément Béra
Thanks for reporting the problem. 

The error means the VM is incompatible with the image. There was a change of image format in Pharo 5, so the package has likely an old VM while the image has the new format, or the new VM while the image has the old format. 

Someone will look into that problem in the incoming weeks. Most Pharo maintainers are on Mac, we noticed recently that other OS were not maintained carefully enough (We're sorry about that) and we're trying to solve that problem.

Meantime....

Can you try the latest VM from here (latest.zip):

Or if still failing, the latest VM from here (latest.zip):
http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/linux/

One of these two VMs should work. Please tell me which one worked if you try.

Thanks & Regards

Clement

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

vonbecmann
this

works pretty well in Debian GNU/Linux 8 Jessie

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:

The error means the VM is incompatible with the image. There was a change of image format in Pharo 5, so the package has likely an old VM while the image has the new format, or the new VM while the image has the old format. 

Someone will look into that problem in the incoming weeks. Most Pharo maintainers are on Mac, we noticed recently that other OS were not maintained carefully enough (We're sorry about that) and we're trying to solve that problem.

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
Thank you for the impressive quick response. Unfortunately, I have older glibc. So now I'm struggling with compiling glibc 2.15 for 32 bit on my 64 bit CentOS 6.5 machine. Not an easy thing to do.

I'll try those VMs once I succeed in building this glibc

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

vonbecmann
Hold on,

There's also this issue

where in one comment jan.vrany recommended his build

that i have used in debian wheezy with the old libc for quite a while. i don't use it anymore because im in jessie.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you for the impressive quick response. Unfortunately, I have older glibc. So now I'm struggling with compiling glibc 2.15 for 32 bit on my 64 bit CentOS 6.5 machine. Not an easy thing to do.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
Thanks, Bernardo. That fogbugz case is exactly the problem I'm having.

This VM (pharo-vm-spur-swing.zip) is able to open Pharo 5.0 image from Pharo download page. This is a good sign.

Upon opening the image, I am, however, presented immediately with 'MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "/" is nil'. It's coming from 
SystemSettingsPersistence class >> defaultPreferenceFileReference

It boils down to
OSEnvironment#getEnv: 'HOME'

a failure in building an FFI call. The FFI call function signature is
#( String getenv (String string) )

The context object built from OSEnvironment#getEnv: gives answer 'arg1', instead of 'string', to a call to #method#argumentNames. Down the road, an IRMethod instance is trying to find the index for 'string' and can't find any, because what is stored is 'arg1'.

I'm out of my depth at this point, and this is a separate issue than not being able to start the image. I have to think where I want to go from here.

So, thank you for all of you, for the exceedingly quick and friendly help.

Cheers!

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hold on,

There's also this issue

that i have used in debian wheezy with the old libc for quite a while. i don't use it anymore because im in jessie.

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 07 Oct 2016, at 06:20, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Bernardo. That fogbugz case is exactly the problem I'm having.
>
> This VM (pharo-vm-spur-swing.zip) is able to open Pharo 5.0 image from Pharo download page. This is a good sign.
>
> Upon opening the image, I am, however, presented immediately with 'MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "/" is nil'. It's coming from
> SystemSettingsPersistence class >> defaultPreferenceFileReference
>
> It boils down to
> OSEnvironment#getEnv: 'HOME'
>
> a failure in building an FFI call. The FFI call function signature is
> #( String getenv (String string) )
>
> The context object built from OSEnvironment#getEnv: gives answer 'arg1', instead of 'string', to a call to #method#argumentNames. Down the road, an IRMethod instance is trying to find the index for 'string' and can't find any, because what is stored is 'arg1'.

I think you are missing the correct sources files in the correct place (next to the VM binary).

> I'm out of my depth at this point, and this is a separate issue than not being able to start the image. I have to think where I want to go from here.
>
> So, thank you for all of you, for the exceedingly quick and friendly help.
>
> Cheers!
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hold on,
>
>   There's also this issue
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17353/build-spur-vm-for-debian-old-libc
>
> where in one comment jan.vrany recommended his build
>
> https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/jenkins/job/pharo-vm-spur-swing/
>
> https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/jenkins/view/All/job/pharo-vm-spur-swing/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/pharo-vm-spur-swing.zip
>
> that i have used in debian wheezy with the old libc for quite a while. i don't use it anymore because im in jessie.
>
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you for the impressive quick response. Unfortunately, I have older glibc. So now I'm struggling with compiling glibc 2.15 for 32 bit on my 64 bit CentOS 6.5 machine. Not an easy thing to do.
>
> I'll try those VMs once I succeed in building this glibc
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> this
> http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/linux/latest.zip
>
> works pretty well in Debian GNU/Linux 8 Jessie
>  
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for reporting the problem.
>
> The error means the VM is incompatible with the image. There was a change of image format in Pharo 5, so the package has likely an old VM while the image has the new format, or the new VM while the image has the old format.
>
> Someone will look into that problem in the incoming weeks. Most Pharo maintainers are on Mac, we noticed recently that other OS were not maintained carefully enough (We're sorry about that) and we're trying to solve that problem.
>
> Meantime....
>
> Can you try the latest VM from here (latest.zip):
> http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/linux/
>
> Or if still failing, the latest VM from here (latest.zip):
> http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/linux/
>
> One of these two VMs should work. Please tell me which one worked if you try.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Clement
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i already submitted a similar issue
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18221/This-interpreter-vers-6505-cannot-read-image-file-vers-6521
>
> check it and see if it is the same
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm on CentOS 6.5 and I downloaded Pharo 5 for GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15 and for CentOS. Both won't start (I have no problem with Windows version):
>
> $ pharo
> This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).
> Press CR to quit...
>
> I'm unable to find report or information about this issue on the web. I think it was like this ~2 months ago as well. Is this a known issue?
>
> First time posting question in this mailing list, so I beg your pardon if I break any mailing list rule.
>
> --
> Andreas S
>
>
>
> --
> Bernardo E.C.
>
> Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.
>
>
>
>
> --
> Bernardo E.C.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Bernardo E.C.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Clément Béra
In reply to this post by Andreas Sunardi
Hello

What you describe (arg1 instead of string) means the source file is not present. Sources are required for some FFI calls. Take the PharoV50.sources file (you can find it here http://files.pharo.org/sources/) and put it in the same folder as your VM. It should solve the problem.

Best,

Clement

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:

This VM (pharo-vm-spur-swing.zip) is able to open Pharo 5.0 image from Pharo download page. This is a good sign.

Upon opening the image, I am, however, presented immediately with 'MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "/" is nil'. It's coming from 

It boils down to

The context object built from OSEnvironment#getEnv: gives answer 'arg1', instead of 'string', to a call to #method#argumentNames. Down the road, an IRMethod instance is trying to find the index for 'string' and can't find any, because what is stored is 'arg1'.

I'm out of my depth at this point, and this is a separate issue than not being able to start the image. I have to think where I want to go from here.

Cheers!

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo
In reply to this post by Andreas Sunardi

Hi andreas

could you write a little how to so that we can put it on the web site?

Stef

Le 7/10/16 à 06:20, Andreas Sunardi a écrit :

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
In reply to this post by Clément Béra
That's it! But it isn't as simple as that Here's what I did. I have pharo5 directory, unzipped from the Pharo download page (GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15). I then took the VM Bernardo pointed me to and copy that VM into my pharo5/bin.

That Pharo download (GNU/Linux w. libc <2.15) has shared/Pharo5.0.image along with shared/PharoV40.sources

Next I grabbed the PharoV50.sources as Clement instructed. First I tried to put it in shared/, because that's where PharoV40.sources is, even tough Clement said to put it in the same folder as the VM.

Then I tried to run it, calling pharo binary or the wrapper. Here's what I found:
1. pharo keeps looking for PharoV40.sources, looking in bin/ first (the VM directory) and next in shared/

2. If the source file is in shared/, making PharoV40.sources a sym link to PharoV50.sources, still gives me the same error.

3. However, if the source files is in bin/, making PharoV40.sources a sym link to PharoV50.sources does not give me the error. Success!

4. For additional experiment, I took Pharo5.0.image from Windows download, and put it in shared/ (along with the changes file). It picks up PharoV50.sources in either bin/ or shared/. I removed PharoV40.sources in both places and still works fine.

5. I remove PharoV50.sources in bin/ and shared/, so now I don't have any sources file. Using Pharo5.0.image from Windows, I got notification pharo can't find PharoV50.sources file, yet, I don't get that MessageNotUnderstood error.

I think the image version is different in Windows and Linux download. The image from Windows download starts with a welcome window. The image from Linux download doesn't. I don't know how to check the image version.

I can now run pharo5 and I'm happy. The Linux download needs updated VM and image, I think.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

What you describe (arg1 instead of string) means the source file is not present. Sources are required for some FFI calls. Take the PharoV50.sources file (you can find it here http://files.pharo.org/sources/) and put it in the same folder as your VM. It should solve the problem.

Best,

Clement

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
In reply to this post by stepharo
Hi Stef,

Can you explain a little bit about what this 'How to' is? Just now I'm able to finally run pharo5 on my CentOS with glibc version < 2.15 and I wrote my finding in my other reply.

Are you referring to how to put these things together to finally able to run pharo? Or are you referring to my digging through the error?

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 11:08 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo

Hi

I would like a list of

- links

- actions (unix commands)

so that we can add it to the web site so that other people using the same version than you

can install and run pharo simply.

Stef

Le 7/10/16 à 19:06, Andreas Sunardi a écrit :
Hi Stef,

Can you explain a little bit about what this 'How to' is? Just now I'm able to finally run pharo5 on my CentOS with glibc version < 2.15 and I wrote my finding in my other reply.

Are you referring to how to put these things together to finally able to run pharo? Or are you referring to my digging through the error?

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
Hello Stef,

IMHO, since the 'GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15' download in Pharo download webpage is broken anyway, we should repackage that download. Then other people using this version doesn't have to follow extra instruction to patch it. Having said that, I understand you and the Pharo team may have a reason to not hastily repackage that download option.

So, here are the downloads needed:
1. 'GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15' from Pharo download page http://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation

2. Jan Vrany's Pharo 5 VM https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/jenkins/job/pharo-vm-spur-swing/. I used the current latest build, which is currently build #5, Jan 17, 2016

3. Pharo 5 sources file from http://files.pharo.org/sources/

4. Latest Pharo 5 image from http://files.pharo.org/image, which is currently 50761

Installation:
1. Unzip 'GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15'
$ unzip Pharo5.0-linux-oldLibC.zip

2. Replace VM in bin/ with  Jan Vrany's build
$ cd pharo5.0/bin
$ unzip ../../pharo-vm-spur-swing.zip

3. Put Pharo 5 sources file in the VM directory
$ unzip ../../PharoV50.sources.zip

4. Replace image and changes file with the latest
$ cd ../shared
$ rm Pharo5.0.{image,changes}
$ unzip ../../Pharo-Image-5.0-latest.zip
$ mv Pharo-50761.image Pharo5.0.image
$ mv Pharo-50761.changes Pharo5.0.changes

Now, we can run pharo with libc < 2.15
$ cd ..
$ pharo

I hope that help!
--
Andreas

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 10:10 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I would like a list of

- links

so that we can add it to the web site so that other people using the same version than you

Stef

Hi Stef,

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

On 10 Oct 2016, at 05:47, Andreas Sunardi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Stef,

IMHO, since the 'GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15' download in Pharo download webpage is broken anyway, we should repackage that download. Then other people using this version doesn't have to follow extra instruction to patch it. Having said that, I understand you and the Pharo team may have a reason to not hastily repackage that download option.

yes, it is :(
I need to fix that link.

Esteban

1. 'GNU/Linux w. libc < 2.15' from Pharo download page http://pharo.org/gnu-linux-installation

2. Jan Vrany's Pharo 5 VM https://swing.fit.cvut.cz/jenkins/job/pharo-vm-spur-swing/. I used the current latest build, which is currently build #5, Jan 17, 2016

4. Latest Pharo 5 image from http://files.pharo.org/image, which is currently 50761

Installation:

$ cd pharo5.0/bin

$ cd ../shared

$ cd ..
$ pharo

I hope that help!
--
Andreas

Hi

I would like a list of

- links

Stef

Hi Stef,

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
I made a new version of http://files.pharo.org/platform/Pharo5.0-linux-oldLibC.zip, based on Yan's VM... They should work fine. 

Now... I need a CentOS compatible VM :P

Esteban

On 10 Oct 2016, at 08:29, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Stef,

I need to fix that link.

Esteban

Installation:

$ cd pharo5.0/bin

$ cd ../shared

$ cd ..
$ pharo

I hope that help!
--
Andreas

Hi

I would like a list of

- links

Stef

Hi Stef,

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
I confirmed the new version is working just fine.

If this info is helpful, I'm running this new version on my CentOS 6.5 at my work. 

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 3:02 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
I made a new version of http://files.pharo.org/platform/Pharo5.0-linux-oldLibC.zip, based on Yan's VM... They should work fine. 

Esteban

Hello Stef,

I need to fix that link.

Esteban

Installation:

$ cd pharo5.0/bin

$ cd ../shared

$ cd ..
$ pharo

I hope that help!
--
Andreas

Hi

I would like a list of

- links

Stef

Hi Stef,

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo

Hi andreas

are you using Pharo at work :)?

Can we know more?

Stef

Le 11/10/16 à 17:28, Andreas Sunardi a écrit :

If this info is helpful, I'm running this new version on my CentOS 6.5 at my work. 

Esteban

Hello Stef,

I need to fix that link.

Esteban

Installation:

$ cd pharo5.0/bin

$ cd ../shared

$ cd ..
$ pharo

I hope that help!
--
Andreas

Hi

I would like a list of

- links

Stef

Hi Stef,

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
Hi Stef,

Well, I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you. I made exactly 1 tool with Pharo in my previous work place and currently trying to get ready to use Pharo when opportunity comes in my current work place.

That tool I made was a small tool, a custom controller for ASIC testing. It's a GUI to control ASIC, representing register values as what they mean, organizing them in UI layout in a logical manner. A logical abstraction of a hardware implementation, if you will. It saves my test engineer from having to do what he wants to do in hex numbers, from counting bits and from making error. It's a custom tool for each ASIC. Restoring ASIC state by syncing with Pharo image is really pleasant :)

I learnt a lot form Pharo. Morph concept where every GUI element is presentable is very helpful. Wondering what the actual value of a register is? Just ask the register instance to display itself and I can monitor it. Many more of course, but I don't want to bore you to death.

My previous company has a long history with Smalltalk. I was fortunate to learn about Smalltalk there. They have ASIC design tool written in Smalltalk, still used today. They don't use Smalltalk anymore. After some years, I missed it, found Pharo, and when an opportunity came to solve a problem, I did it with Pharo. My engineer loved it :)

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi andreas

Can we know more?

Stef

Esteban

Hello Stef,

I need to fix that link.

Esteban

Installation:

$ cd pharo5.0/bin

$ cd ../shared

$ cd ..
$ pharo

I hope that help!
--
Andreas

Hi

I would like a list of

- links

Stef

Hi Stef,

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo

Le 13/10/16 à 19:12, Andreas Sunardi a écrit :
Hi Stef,

Well, I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you.

You are not disppointing me.
I made exactly 1 tool with Pharo in my previous work place and currently trying to get ready to use Pharo when opportunity comes in my current work place.

That tool I made was a small tool, a custom controller for ASIC testing. It's a GUI to control ASIC, representing register values as what they mean, organizing them in UI layout in a logical manner. A logical abstraction of a hardware implementation, if you will. It saves my test engineer from having to do what he wants to do in hex numbers, from counting bits and from making error. It's a custom tool for each ASIC. Restoring ASIC state by syncing with Pharo image is really pleasant :)

This is cool

I learnt a lot form Pharo. Morph concept where every GUI element is presentable is very helpful. Wondering what the actual value of a register is? Just ask the register instance to display itself and I can monitor it. Many more of course, but I don't want to bore you to death.

My previous company has a long history with Smalltalk. I was fortunate to learn about Smalltalk there. They have ASIC design tool written in Smalltalk, still used today. They don't use Smalltalk anymore. After some years, I missed it, found Pharo, and when an opportunity came to solve a problem, I did it with Pharo. My engineer loved it :)
Super cool :)
Keep pushing and having fun.

Stef

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi andreas

Can we know more?

Stef

Esteban

Hello Stef,

I need to fix that link.

Esteban

Installation:

$ cd pharo5.0/bin

$ cd ../shared

$ cd ..
$ pharo

I hope that help!
--
Andreas

Hi

I would like a list of

- links

Stef

Hi Stef,

Hi andreas

Stef

It boils down to

Cheers!

Hold on,

There's also this issue

this

Meantime....

Thanks & Regards

Clement

$ pharo
Press CR to quit...

--
Andreas S

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.

--
Bernardo E.C.