Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pharo6.0 for linux and PharoV60.sources location

Andreas Sunardi
Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I seem to recall somebody ran into this issue or related to this, but I don't remember what the solution was, if there was any.

The linux Pharo 6 download package from Pharo web site has different VM directory structure than Pharo 5. The PharoV60.sources file is not located in the same directory as the VM binary. As a result, if user has image + changes files in another directory, Pharo always gives notification that the sources file is not found. This is not so with the Pharo 5.

In most cases, it's just a notification, but in the past I've run into an error in debugging session when I tried to look into a method because of missing sources file.

Can this be corrected or is it expected for the user to manage sources file where about? I'm hoping a correction or clarification would at least benefit new comers.

--
Andreas

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pharo6.0 for linux and PharoV60.sources location

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Andreas,

Yes, that was me. Unfortunately I did not get an answer. I solved this by copying the sources file into the location where Pharo is looking for it.

Due to the missing sources file, variables and arguments got renamed automatically...

I still don't understand why the sources file is spread 3 or 4 times across the directory structure...

Best regards,
Marc

Am 03.07.2017 12:16 schrieb "Andreas Sunardi" <[hidden email]>:
Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I seem to recall somebody ran into this issue or related to this, but I don't remember what the solution was, if there was any.

The linux Pharo 6 download package from Pharo web site has different VM directory structure than Pharo 5. The PharoV60.sources file is not located in the same directory as the VM binary. As a result, if user has image + changes files in another directory, Pharo always gives notification that the sources file is not found. This is not so with the Pharo 5.

In most cases, it's just a notification, but in the past I've run into an error in debugging session when I tried to look into a method because of missing sources file.

Can this be corrected or is it expected for the user to manage sources file where about? I'm hoping a correction or clarification would at least benefit new comers.

--
Andreas

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi marc

We are a bit under water in this moment making sure that we can handle
pull requests for Pharo 70.
I'm sure that it will get better in the future.
Esteban is moving, we got many articles to send, clement hand it in its phd :).
And many more.

So we are sorry about the support.

Stef

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Marc Hanisch via Pharo-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 13:14:52 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo6.0 for linux and PharoV60.sources location
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Yes, that was me. Unfortunately I did not get an answer. I solved this by copying the sources file into the location where Pharo is looking for it.
>
> Due to the missing sources file, variables and arguments got renamed automatically...
>
> I still don't understand why the sources file is spread 3 or 4 times across the directory structure...
>
> Best regards,
> Marc
>
> Am 03.07.2017 12:16 schrieb "Andreas Sunardi" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I seem to recall somebody ran into this issue or related to this, but I don't remember what the solution was, if there was any.
>>
>> The linux Pharo 6 download package from Pharo web site has different VM directory structure than Pharo 5. The PharoV60.sources file is not located in the same directory as the VM binary. As a result, if user has image + changes files in another directory, Pharo always gives notification that the sources file is not found. This is not so with the Pharo 5.
>>
>> In most cases, it's just a notification, but in the past I've run into an error in debugging session when I tried to look into a method because of missing sources file.
>>
>> Can this be corrected or is it expected for the user to manage sources file where about? I'm hoping a correction or clarification would at least benefit new comers.
>>
>> --
>> Andreas
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Stephane,

thanks for that kind reply! No problem!
I'm unfortunately not too deep into Pharo, but maybe I can help with
the packaging / build process for the Linux downloads (at least my
Linux knowledge is far better than my Pharo knowledge ;-))?

Best regards,
Marc

2017-07-05 8:00 GMT+02:00 Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi marc
>
> We are a bit under water in this moment making sure that we can handle
> pull requests for Pharo 70.
> I'm sure that it will get better in the future.
> Esteban is moving, we got many articles to send, clement hand it in its phd :).
> And many more.
>
> So we are sorry about the support.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Marc Hanisch via Pharo-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
>> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
>> Cc:
>> Bcc:
>> Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 13:14:52 +0200
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo6.0 for linux and PharoV60.sources location
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Yes, that was me. Unfortunately I did not get an answer. I solved this by copying the sources file into the location where Pharo is looking for it.
>>
>> Due to the missing sources file, variables and arguments got renamed automatically...
>>
>> I still don't understand why the sources file is spread 3 or 4 times across the directory structure...
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Marc
>>
>> Am 03.07.2017 12:16 schrieb "Andreas Sunardi" <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I seem to recall somebody ran into this issue or related to this, but I don't remember what the solution was, if there was any.
>>>
>>> The linux Pharo 6 download package from Pharo web site has different VM directory structure than Pharo 5. The PharoV60.sources file is not located in the same directory as the VM binary. As a result, if user has image + changes files in another directory, Pharo always gives notification that the sources file is not found. This is not so with the Pharo 5.
>>>
>>> In most cases, it's just a notification, but in the past I've run into an error in debugging session when I tried to look into a method because of missing sources file.
>>>
>>> Can this be corrected or is it expected for the user to manage sources file where about? I'm hoping a correction or clarification would at least benefit new comers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andreas
>>>
>>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Andreas Sunardi
Hi Stef,

Thank you for the clarification. It helps to know whether something is intended or not. I appreciate very much that you took time to response and clarify.

And congratulation to Clement :)

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Marc Hanisch via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Cc: 
Bcc: 
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 08:20:45 +0200
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo6.0 for linux and PharoV60.sources location
Hi Stephane,

thanks for that kind reply! No problem!
I'm unfortunately not too deep into Pharo, but maybe I can help with
the packaging / build process for the Linux downloads (at least my
Linux knowledge is far better than my Pharo knowledge ;-))?

Best regards,
Marc

2017-07-05 8:00 GMT+02:00 Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Hi marc
>
> We are a bit under water in this moment making sure that we can handle
> pull requests for Pharo 70.
> I'm sure that it will get better in the future.
> Esteban is moving, we got many articles to send, clement hand it in its phd :).
> And many more.
>
> So we are sorry about the support.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Marc Hanisch via Pharo-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
>> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
>> Cc:
>> Bcc:
>> Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 13:14:52 +0200
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo6.0 for linux and PharoV60.sources location
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Yes, that was me. Unfortunately I did not get an answer. I solved this by copying the sources file into the location where Pharo is looking for it.
>>
>> Due to the missing sources file, variables and arguments got renamed automatically...
>>
>> I still don't understand why the sources file is spread 3 or 4 times across the directory structure...
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Marc
>>
>> Am 03.07.2017 12:16 schrieb "Andreas Sunardi" <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I seem to recall somebody ran into this issue or related to this, but I don't remember what the solution was, if there was any.
>>>
>>> The linux Pharo 6 download package from Pharo web site has different VM directory structure than Pharo 5. The PharoV60.sources file is not located in the same directory as the VM binary. As a result, if user has image + changes files in another directory, Pharo always gives notification that the sources file is not found. This is not so with the Pharo 5.
>>>
>>> In most cases, it's just a notification, but in the past I've run into an error in debugging session when I tried to look into a method because of missing sources file.
>>>
>>> Can this be corrected or is it expected for the user to manage sources file where about? I'm hoping a correction or clarification would at least benefit new comers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andreas
>>>
>>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
In reply to this post by Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
yes you can help improving the situation on linux :)
because it could be better :)

Stef

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Marc Hanisch via Pharo-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
> Cc:
> Bcc:
> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 08:20:45 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo6.0 for linux and PharoV60.sources location
> Hi Stephane,
>
> thanks for that kind reply! No problem!
> I'm unfortunately not too deep into Pharo, but maybe I can help with
> the packaging / build process for the Linux downloads (at least my
> Linux knowledge is far better than my Pharo knowledge ;-))?
>
> Best regards,
> Marc
>
> 2017-07-05 8:00 GMT+02:00 Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi marc
>>
>> We are a bit under water in this moment making sure that we can handle
>> pull requests for Pharo 70.
>> I'm sure that it will get better in the future.
>> Esteban is moving, we got many articles to send, clement hand it in its phd :).
>> And many more.
>>
>> So we are sorry about the support.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Marc Hanisch via Pharo-users
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>>> From: Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
>>> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
>>> Cc:
>>> Bcc:
>>> Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 13:14:52 +0200
>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo6.0 for linux and PharoV60.sources location
>>> Hi Andreas,
>>>
>>> Yes, that was me. Unfortunately I did not get an answer. I solved this by copying the sources file into the location where Pharo is looking for it.
>>>
>>> Due to the missing sources file, variables and arguments got renamed automatically...
>>>
>>> I still don't understand why the sources file is spread 3 or 4 times across the directory structure...
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Marc
>>>
>>> Am 03.07.2017 12:16 schrieb "Andreas Sunardi" <[hidden email]>:
>>>>
>>>> Pardon me if this has been discussed before. I seem to recall somebody ran into this issue or related to this, but I don't remember what the solution was, if there was any.
>>>>
>>>> The linux Pharo 6 download package from Pharo web site has different VM directory structure than Pharo 5. The PharoV60.sources file is not located in the same directory as the VM binary. As a result, if user has image + changes files in another directory, Pharo always gives notification that the sources file is not found. This is not so with the Pharo 5.
>>>>
>>>> In most cases, it's just a notification, but in the past I've run into an error in debugging session when I tried to look into a method because of missing sources file.
>>>>
>>>> Can this be corrected or is it expected for the user to manage sources file where about? I'm hoping a correction or clarification would at least benefit new comers.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Andreas
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
>