Pharo6 deployment issues

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Pharo6 deployment issues

Holger Freyther
Hi!

today I started to look at of why my benchmark in the CI stalled/didn't complete and I see three separate issues and wonder how to address them properly? I have a truncated log attached


Issues:
* In my CI script I disable Deprecation warnings but this has no influence on Deprecation>>#transform. This means that it will try to write the changes?! To scale we start the same image multiple times.

* Somehow writing the log fails (and the TCP connection fails the same time?!) with a primitive error.

* Errors "recurse". So while we try to exit the image it seems to fail the same way and tries again.. which fails again.. which fails again..at some point no new context will be allocated.


Solutions?

* Prevent new errors in NonInteractiveUIManager>>#unhandledErrorDefaultAction:?

* Check in >>#transform if transformation is disabled and then return early?

* ??? No idea.. I will strace to see what happens to the Debug log.. but ideally I would like this file writing to be disabled. :)


Should I create tickets?


holger

 

dispatch failed on "[ self doExpire.
statsdClient flush ]".
an OrderedCollection(MultiByteFileStream(Object)>>primitiveFailed: MultiByteFileStream(Object)>>primitiveFailed MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>primFlush: MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>flush MultiByteFileStream(WriteStream)>>nextChunkPut: SourceFileArray>>writeSource:preamble:onSuccess:onFail: CompiledMethod>>putSource:withPreamble: CompiledMethod>>putSource:class:category:withStamp:priorMethod: VODescriptionBuilder class(ClassDescription)>>logMethodSource:forMethod:inCategory:withStamp: VODescriptionBuilder class(ClassDescription)>>compile:classified:withStamp:notifying:logSource: VODescriptionBuilder class(ClassDescription)>>compile:classified:withStamp:notifying: VODescriptionBuilder class(ClassDescription)>>compile:classified:notifying: VODescriptionBuilder class(ClassDescription)>>compile:classified: [ aMethod origin
        compile: aMethod ast formattedCode
        classified: aMethod protocol ] in Deprecation>>transform BlockClosure>>ensure: Author>>useAuthor:during: Author class>>useAuthor:during: Deprecation>>transform Pragma(Object)>>deprecated:transformWith: Pragma>>selector)
<snip log about lost TCP connection>
PrimitiveFailed: primitive #primClose: in MultiByteFileStream failed
MultiByteFileStream(Object)>>primitiveFailed:
MultiByteFileStream(Object)>>primitiveFailed
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>primClose:
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>close
SmalltalkImage>>closeLog:
[ self closeLog: logStream ] in SmalltalkImage>>logDuring: in Block: [ self closeLog: logStream ]
BlockClosure>>ensure:
SmalltalkImage>>logDuring:
NonInteractiveUIManager(CommandLineUIManager)>>inform:
STCommandLineHandler(Object)>>inform:
STCommandLineHandler>>handleError:reference:
[ :e | self handleError: e reference: aReference ] in STCommandLineHandler>>handleErrorsDuring:reference: in Block: [ :e | self handleError: e reference: aReference ]...etc...
BlockClosure>>cull:
Context>>evaluateSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
Context>>handleSignal:
PrimitiveFailed(Exception)>>signal
PrimitiveFailed class(SelectorException class)>>signalFor:
MultiByteFileStream(Object)>>primitiveFailed:
MultiByteFileStream(Object)>>primitiveFailed
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>primClose:
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>close
SmalltalkImage>>closeLog:
FileWriteError: File /build/build/PharoDebug.log write failed
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>primWrite:from:startingAt:count:
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>nextPut:
MultiByteFileStream>>basicNextPut:
UTF8TextConverter>>nextPut:toStream:
[ :char | self nextPut: char toStream: aStream ] in UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>nextPutAll:toStream: in Block: [ :char | self nextPut: char toStream: aStream ]
ByteSymbol(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>nextPutAll:toStream:
MultiByteFileStream>>nextPutAll:
Context>>printOn:
MultiByteFileStream(Stream)>>print:
Context>>errorReportOn:
[ :logger |
logger
        nextPutAll: 'THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE';
        cr;
        nextPutAll: errMsg;
        cr.
"just print the error message if no context is given"
aContext ifNotNil: [ aContext errorReportOn: logger ].
" write some type of separator"
logger
        nextPutAll: (String new: 79 withAll: $-);
        cr;
        cr ] in SmalltalkImage>>logError:inContext: in Block: [ :logger | ...
[ logStream := self openLog.
aMonadicBlock value: logStream ] in SmalltalkImage>>logDuring: in Block: [ logStream := self openLog....
BlockClosure>>ensure:
SmalltalkImage>>logDuring:
SmalltalkImage>>logError:inContext:
[ Smalltalk logError: aString inContext: aContext.

" Print stacks of all current processes "
Smalltalk
        logDuring: [ :logger |
                logger
                        nextPutAll: 'Processes and their stacks: ';
                        cr.
                Process allInstances
                        do: [ :each |
                                | ctx |
                                logger
                                        nextPutAll: 'Process: ';
                                        print: each;
                                        cr;
                                        nextPutAll: '  stack:';
                                        cr;
                                        cr.
                                ctx := each isActiveProcess
                                        ifTrue: [ thisContext sender ]
                                        ifFalse: [ each suspendedContext ].
                                ctx
                                        ifNotNil: [ (ctx stackOfSize: 20)
                                                        do: [ :s |
                                                                logger
                                                                        print: s;
                                                                        cr ] ].
                                logger
                                        nextPutAll: '------------------------------';
                                        cr;
                                        cr ] ] ] in NonInteractiveUIManager(CommandLineUIManager)>>quitFrom:withMessage: in Block: [ Smalltalk logError: aString inContext: aContext....etc...
BlockClosure>>ensure:
NonInteractiveUIManager(CommandLineUIManager)>>quitFrom:withMessage:
NonInteractiveUIManager(CommandLineUIManager)>>unhandledErrorDefaultAction:
UnhandledError>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
UnhandledError(Exception)>>signal
UnhandledError class>>signalForException:
PrimitiveFailed(Error)>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
PrimitiveFailed(Exception)>>pass
[ :ex |
ActiveWorld := priorWorld.
ActiveEvent := priorEvent.
ActiveHand := priorHand.
ex pass ] in WorldMorph(PasteUpMorph)>>becomeActiveDuring: in Block: [ :ex | ...
BlockClosure>>cull:
Context>>evaluateSignal:
FileWriteError: File /build/build/PharoDebug.log write failed
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>primWrite:from:startingAt:count:
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>next:putAll:startingAt:
MultiByteFileStream>>basicNext:putAll:startingAt:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>next:putByteString:startingAt:toStream:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>next:putAll:startingAt:toStream:
MultiByteFileStream>>next:putAll:startingAt:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>nextPutByteString:toStream:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>nextPutAll:toStream:
MultiByteFileStream>>nextPutAll:
Context>>printDetails:
Context>>errorReportOn:
[ :logger |
logger
        nextPutAll: 'THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE';
        cr;
        nextPutAll: errMsg;
        cr.
"just print the error message if no context is given"
aContext ifNotNil: [ aContext errorReportOn: logger ].
" write some type of separator"
logger
        nextPutAll: (String new: 79 withAll: $-);
        cr;
        cr ] in SmalltalkImage>>logError:inContext: in Block: [ :logger | ...
[ logStream := self openLog.
aMonadicBlock value: logStream ] in SmalltalkImage>>logDuring: in Block: [ logStream := self openLog....
BlockClosure>>ensure:
SmalltalkImage>>logDuring:
SmalltalkImage>>logError:inContext:
[ Smalltalk logError: aString inContext: aContext.

" Print stacks of all current processes "
Smalltalk
        logDuring: [ :logger |
                logger
                        nextPutAll: 'Processes and their stacks: ';
                        cr.
                Process allInstances
                        do: [ :each |
                                | ctx |
                                logger
                                        nextPutAll: 'Process: ';
                                        print: each;
                                        cr;
                                        nextPutAll: '  stack:';
                                        cr;
                                        cr.
                                ctx := each isActiveProcess
                                        ifTrue: [ thisContext sender ]
                                        ifFalse: [ each suspendedContext ].
                                ctx
                                        ifNotNil: [ (ctx stackOfSize: 20)
                                                        do: [ :s |
                                                                logger
                                                                        print: s;
                                                                        cr ] ].
                                logger
                                        nextPutAll: '------------------------------';
                                        cr;
                                        cr ] ] ] in NonInteractiveUIManager(CommandLineUIManager)>>quitFrom:withMessage: in Block: [ Smalltalk logError: aString inContext: aContext....etc...
BlockClosure>>ensure:
NonInteractiveUIManager(CommandLineUIManager)>>quitFrom:withMessage:
NonInteractiveUIManager(CommandLineUIManager)>>unhandledErrorDefaultAction:
UnhandledError>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
UnhandledError(Exception)>>signal
UnhandledError class>>signalForException:
FileWriteError(Error)>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
FileWriteError(Exception)>>signal
FileWriteError(Exception)>>signal:
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>primWrite:from:startingAt:count:
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>nextPut:
FileWriteError: File /build/build/PharoDebug.log write failed
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>primWrite:from:startingAt:count:
MultiByteFileStream(StandardFileStream)>>next:putAll:startingAt:
MultiByteFileStream>>basicNext:putAll:startingAt:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>next:putByteString:startingAt:toStream:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>next:putAll:startingAt:toStream:
MultiByteFileStream>>next:putAll:startingAt:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>nextPutByteString:toStream:
UTF8TextConverter(TextConverter)>>nextPutAll:toStream:
MultiByteFileStream>>nextPutAll:
Context>>printOn:
MultiByteFileStream(Stream)>>print:
Context>>errorReportOn:
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo6 deployment issues

Marcus Denker-4

> On 13 Jun 2017, at 13:44, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> today I started to look at of why my benchmark in the CI stalled/didn't complete and I see three separate issues and wonder how to address them properly? I have a truncated log attached
>
>
> Issues:
> * In my CI script I disable Deprecation warnings but this has no influence on Deprecation>>#transform. This means that it will try to write the changes?! To scale we start the same image multiple times.
>
> * Somehow writing the log fails (and the TCP connection fails the same time?!) with a primitive error.
>
> * Errors "recurse". So while we try to exit the image it seems to fail the same way and tries again.. which fails again.. which fails again..at some point no new context will be allocated.
>
>
> Solutions?
>
> * Prevent new errors in NonInteractiveUIManager>>#unhandledErrorDefaultAction:?
>
> * Check in >>#transform if transformation is disabled and then return early?
>

yes! This should have been like that.

> * ??? No idea.. I will strace to see what happens to the Debug log.. but ideally I would like this file writing to be disabled. :)
>
>
> Should I create tickets?
>

Yes! For the Deprecation one I can prepare the fixes for Pharo6 and 7. The other I have no idea yet, but having it on the tracker would be good.

        Marcus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo6 deployment issues

Marcus Denker-4

> On 14 Jun 2017, at 09:39, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> On 13 Jun 2017, at 13:44, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> today I started to look at of why my benchmark in the CI stalled/didn't complete and I see three separate issues and wonder how to address them properly? I have a truncated log attached
>>
>>
>> Issues:
>> * In my CI script I disable Deprecation warnings but this has no influence on Deprecation>>#transform. This means that it will try to write the changes?! To scale we start the same image multiple times.
>>
>> * Somehow writing the log fails (and the TCP connection fails the same time?!) with a primitive error.
>>
>> * Errors "recurse". So while we try to exit the image it seems to fail the same way and tries again.. which fails again.. which fails again..at some point no new context will be allocated.
>>
>>
>> Solutions?
>>
>> * Prevent new errors in NonInteractiveUIManager>>#unhandledErrorDefaultAction:?
>>
>> * Check in >>#transform if transformation is disabled and then return early?
>>
>
> yes! This should have been like that.
>
>> * ??? No idea.. I will strace to see what happens to the Debug log.. but ideally I would like this file writing to be disabled. :)
>>
>>
>> Should I create tickets?
>>
>
> Yes! For the Deprecation one I can prepare the fixes for Pharo6 and 7. The other I have no idea yet, but having it on the tracker would be good.
>

I added
        https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20148/transforming-deprecations-should-take-showWarning-into-account
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo6 deployment issues

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks bug entry are important!
Let us continue to improve our lovely system

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>> On 14 Jun 2017, at 09:39, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> On 13 Jun 2017, at 13:44, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> today I started to look at of why my benchmark in the CI stalled/didn't complete and I see three separate issues and wonder how to address them properly? I have a truncated log attached
>>>
>>>
>>> Issues:
>>> * In my CI script I disable Deprecation warnings but this has no influence on Deprecation>>#transform. This means that it will try to write the changes?! To scale we start the same image multiple times.
>>>
>>> * Somehow writing the log fails (and the TCP connection fails the same time?!) with a primitive error.
>>>
>>> * Errors "recurse". So while we try to exit the image it seems to fail the same way and tries again.. which fails again.. which fails again..at some point no new context will be allocated.
>>>
>>>
>>> Solutions?
>>>
>>> * Prevent new errors in NonInteractiveUIManager>>#unhandledErrorDefaultAction:?
>>>
>>> * Check in >>#transform if transformation is disabled and then return early?
>>>
>>
>> yes! This should have been like that.
>>
>>> * ??? No idea.. I will strace to see what happens to the Debug log.. but ideally I would like this file writing to be disabled. :)
>>>
>>>
>>> Should I create tickets?
>>>
>>
>> Yes! For the Deprecation one I can prepare the fixes for Pharo6 and 7. The other I have no idea yet, but having it on the tracker would be good.
>>
>
> I added
>         https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20148/transforming-deprecations-should-take-showWarning-into-account

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pharo6 deployment issues

Marcus Denker-4
In reply to this post by Marcus Denker-4


Yes! For the Deprecation one I can prepare the fixes for Pharo6 and 7. The other I have no idea yet, but having it on the tracker would be good.


I added
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20148/transforming-deprecations-should-take-showWarning-into-account

This is now in update 60601, the issue has ben moved to Pharo7 to be integrated there later, too

Marcus
Loading...