PharoCore 1.1 comments

Miguel Cobá
Hi all,

some things I noticed in PharoCore 1.1 release:

- This PharoCore-1.1.zip doesn't include a sources file. It was good to
have it included in the zip as before. Can be included for every
PharoCore release?

- The page says that PharoV10.sources is for use with 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
Shouldn't be better to have a different one for each release? (even if
1.1 is a copy of 1.0, the different name avoids doubts about numbering
scheme):

PharoCore-1.0.image
PharoCore-1.0.changes
PharoV10.sources

PharoCore-1.1.image
PharoCore-1.1.changes
PharoV10.sources    (???)

PharoCore-1.7.image
PharoCore-1.7.changes
PharoV10.sources    (bigger ???)

Just a suggestion. ;)

- SystemVersion current majorMinorVersion prints:

PharoCore 1.0: 'PharoCore1.0'

PharoCore 1.1: 'Pharo1.1'

Maybe this should be in the script preparing the image so that correctly
set the version string for PharoCore images and for Pharo images (or
maybe already is there but wasn't executed?)

Other than that, the new image is *very* fast!

Cheers
--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: PharoCore 1.1 comments

Michael Roberts-2
> - SystemVersion current majorMinorVersion prints:
>
> PharoCore 1.0: 'PharoCore1.0'
>
> PharoCore 1.1: 'Pharo1.1'

the version object has been downgraded again.  the version string
needs to be nil and it keeps on getting broken.  I will deprecate the
mechanism once i recheck the package issues.

Normally, you just set #type to make the images different.

thanks,
Mike

Re: PharoCore 1.1 comments

> Other than that, the new image is *very* fast!

We did a lot of cleans. Now it should be clear that we benefitted from the work done in Squeak by levente, nicolas and a couple of others.
Now this is not easy to follow what exactly can benefit to pharo and they were supportive. Now people can help at this level, comparing
behavior, methods....

Finally we do not want to give the impression that we are stealing from Squeak - I think that Squeak can also learn from Pharo. Our goal is to make a really cool Smalltalk system. There are still a lot of work to be done.

Re: PharoCore 1.1 comments

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/7/30 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez <[hidden email]>
Hi all,

some things I noticed in PharoCore 1.1 release:

- This PharoCore-1.1.zip doesn't include a sources file. It was good to
have it included in the zip as before. Can be included for every
PharoCore release?

I agree. The release SHOULD include the .sources. Not every pharo core release because it is too much...but official releases may have also the .sources.

Maybe we can repackage and upload a newone?

marcus?