PharoJS crashes at first try

Frank-B
As recommended here: http://forum.world.st/Anybody-using-Orca-Smalltalk-to-JavaScript-td4960519.html
by @Serge, I loaded the code and tried to run it.

But, I almost tend to say "as usual", it fails at first try!

I "did" the code in the Playground window but nothing happens, no code is written into the selected directories. When I do "inspect it", I get a window (see screenshots), which does not really tell me either, what has happened (due to my lack of Pharo knowledge).

Despite my over 20 years of full-time Smalltalk development, I have NOT any experience with either Squeak nor Pharo and most of my attempts to use them were very frustrating.

Also, I do not feel like trying around, if and because:
- even the very first test fails immediately
- there is no meaningful documentation available
- the classes I looked at were all undocumented (for me, a 100% no-go, never ever acceptable)

And then, of course, also the test cases fail, because there is nothing in the diretories, where some earlier output was expected.

Pardon, but professionality and confidence causing systems look very different too me. I am writing this with sadness, because it is certainly not my first such experience in the Squeak/Pharo area.

There are some very bright people engaged here, but for some reason many of them lack some important aspects to be called professionals.

Just FYI: My very first application software, an "ERP" system, which I started developing more than 35 years ago in horrible Basic, is still feeding a company (not mine) with >25 people as their sole product and has a couple of hundred business users. Some of my former staff is still working there and they said, this is only possible because I did force them "dictatorially" to document / comment every single line of code. In the beginning, they hated me for that. Today they are very thanksful.

P.S. I DO have a very fast horse, because this is what one needs when telling the truth - in these days when truth is the worst "hate crime".

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try - missing screenshots

Frank-B

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Frank,

Please be more polite with people that contribute open software that you have the option of actually playing with at no cost (other than time). Saying that the people from around here lack skills is an unnecessary remark and I am sure you can write more positive messages. Beside creating a nicer atmosphere, being polite also pays off in the long term as you tend to get better reaction and support from people.

Back to the original subject, PharoJS is an external project that is kindly developed by people that want to explore a path that you actually seem eager to try. I would suggest restarting the conversation with describing the exact steps you undertook and explaining where the error is (The screenshots you send do not seem to show any error) and ask for guidelines.

Now, is documentation an issue in general. Of course, it is. And if you care about it, we would very much welcome a contribution from you in that area, or any other area you choose to.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Aug 13, 2017, at 4:46 PM, Frank-B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As recommended here:
> http://forum.world.st/Anybody-using-Orca-Smalltalk-to-JavaScript-td4960519.html
> by @Serge, I loaded the code and tried to run it.
>
> But, I almost tend to say "as usual", *it fails at first try*!
>
> I "did" the code in the Playground window but nothing happens, no code is
> written into the selected directories. When I do "inspect it", I get a
> window (see screenshots), which does not really tell me either, what has
> happened (due to my lack of Pharo knowledge).
>
> Despite my over 20 years of full-time Smalltalk development, I have NOT any
> experience with either Squeak nor Pharo and most of my attempts to use them
> were very frustrating.
>
> Also, I do not feel like trying around, if and because:
> - even the very first test fails immediately
> - there is no meaningful documentation available
> - the classes I looked at were all undocumented (for me, a 100% no-go, never
> ever acceptable)
>
> And then, of course, also the test cases fail, because there is nothing in
> the diretories, where some earlier output was expected.
>
> Pardon, but professionality and confidence causing systems look very
> different too me. I am writing this with sadness, because it is certainly
> not my first such experience in the Squeak/Pharo area.
>
> There are some very bright people engaged here, but for some reason many of
> them lack some important aspects to be called professionals.
>
> Just FYI: My very first application software, an "ERP" system, which I
> started developing more than 35 years ago in horrible Basic, is still
> feeding a company (not mine) with >25 people as their sole product and has a
> couple of hundred business users. Some of my former staff is still working
> there and they said, this is only possible because I did force them
> "dictatorially" to document / comment every single line of code. In the
> beginning, they hated me for that. Today they are very thanksful.
>
> P.S. I DO have a very fast horse, because this is what one needs when
> telling the truth - in these days when truth is the worst "hate crime".

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

“Software has no shape. Actually, it has no one shape. It has many."

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Frank-B
Dear Tudor,

I had expected such answers and I feel sorry to have to waste time on defending the unwanted truth.

You should have noticed how positively I see these activities and how much I regret that my experiences were mostly negative. I would like to have contributed and I certainly would have a lot in my framework but I don't feel that this would be a fruitful ground here. I had given the reasons.

My impression always was that the majority of contributers here are very eager to create a real-word system that could be used for real applications. This is why I freely and openly wrote about my impressions and experiences.

If somebody says: "I program for fun and contribute for my ego" - that's absolutely fine with me. But my impressions did NOT reflect such an attitude.

Tudor Girba-2 wrote
Hi Frank,

Please be more polite with people that contribute open software that you have the option of actually playing with at no cost (other than time).
The truth is never unpolite - but in these days of Yankee originated censorship that is euphemistically called "political correctness" most people also in Europe are infected by this madness, so that many people do not want to hear any bitter facts any more.

Saying that the people from around here lack skills is an unnecessary
No that is a lie, I did not write that "they lack skills" nor anything alike.

I made clear that most do not document and that  many often do not really finish their projects. That has nothing do with skills, rather with finishing a task properly or only by 85% or 90% - and that has unfortunately often been my impression in the Squeak/Pharo arena.

remark and I am sure you can write more positive messages.
I will and I always do but only when justified.

Beside creating a nicer atmosphere, being polite also pays off in the long term as you tend to get better reaction and support from people.
Well, you really don't need to tell me. I have managed large projects with up to 30 developers so I really know how to motivate people and how to lead. Oh, all of my projects became products and most of them in time. But still and in total contrast to the general US attitude (see the current scandal at Google), I will always stick to the truth and I know that 95% of all people, whose boss I was, preferred this attitude.

Back to the original subject, PharoJS is an external project that is kindly developed by people that want to explore a path that you actually seem eager to try. I would suggest restarting the conversation with describing the exact steps you undertook and explaining where the error is (The screenshots you send do not seem to show any error) and ask for guidelines.
Very simple and I wrote this very clearly: I loaded the code and tried to "do it" the code in the Playground window. There was nothing more done and therefore there are no steps to explain.

Now, is documentation an issue in general. Of course, it is. And if you care about it, we would very much welcome a contribution from you in that area, or any other area you choose to.
That's rediculous! You ask somebody else to document already written code. Pardon, but that's an extremely bad rethorical joke!

Documentation and comments must be written BEFORE any code is written and must be ADJUSTED when the code is changed and finally when it seems to be finished - from the developer's point of view.

If somebody seriously asks me - as an external - to document and comment already finished and totally undocumented code of somebody I do not even know, all I can think of is this old saying: "Oh Lord, forgive them as they do not know what they are speaking about".

Hopefully, you don't mean this seriously, do you?

BTW: If somebody uses the word "issue" where actually "problem" or "fault" or "mistake" would be correct, I see a sign of PC and successful brainwash.

Missing documentation and IN-CODE comments are never an "issue" but always a "problem" and a always a great "mistake".

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try - addendum to the error

Frank-B
Tudor,

perhaps I was a little imprecise, therefore this clarification:

I just opened the PhariJsESUG19-08-22 image with the PharosJS code included (and I did NOT load any code).

I did nothing to it except the mentioned "do it", which includes the creation of two sub-dirs.

As one can see from the screenshots, the Pharo window looks just the same as it is in the PharoJS image.

Greetings
Frank

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Andreas Wacknitz
Am 13.08.17 um 18:18 schrieb Frank-B:

> Dear Tudor,
>
> I had expected such answers and I feel sorry to have to waste time on
> defending the unwanted truth.
>
> You should have noticed how positively I see these activities and how much I
> regret that my experiences were mostly negative. I would like to have
> contributed and I certainly would have a lot in my framework but I don't
> feel that this would be a fruitful ground here. I had given the reasons.
>
> My impression always was that the majority of contributers here are very
> eager to create a real-word system that could be used for real applications.
> This is why I freely and openly wrote about my impressions and experiences.
>
> If somebody says: "I program for fun and contribute for my ego" - that's
> absolutely fine with me. But my impressions did NOT reflect such an
> attitude.
>

> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> Please be more polite with people that contribute open software that you
>> have the option of actually playing with at no cost (other than time).
> The truth is never unpolite - but in these days of Yankee originated
> censorship that is euphemistically called "political correctness" most
> people also in Europe are infected by this madness, so that many people do
> not want to hear any bitter facts any more.
>

>> Saying that the people from around here lack skills is an unnecessary
> No that is a lie, I did not write that "they lack skills" nor anything
> alike.
>
> I made clear that most do not document and that  many often do not really
> finish their projects. That has nothing do with skills, rather with
> finishing a task properly or only by 85% or 90% - and that has unfortunately
> often been my impression in the Squeak/Pharo arena.
IMO that is not special to the Squeak/Pharo community. When you look at
sourceforge or github
you will find a lot abandoned, incomplete or undocumented projects.
Maybe it's more prominent here
because this community is orders of magnitude smaller than others. When
you google for a
solution you typically find a bunch of hits for mainstream languages. So
you can choose between
several alternatives and thus have a high possibility to find something
working for you,
especially when big companies like Google are involved.

Regards
Andreas

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Frank-B
Andreas,

you are most likely right, although I do not really qualify as a judge, because I have little experience with the code on these platforms. But this has always been my impression, too.

On the other hand, I am sure that the average Smalltakers stands way above the average developer when it comes to intelligence, programming skills and a lot of other factors. This is another reason why so many developers don't really understand "o-o" and are mostly unable to abstract things and, as a consequence from this, are not really able to use Smalltalk "properly".

On the negative side is that most Smalltalkers work rather as "lonesome wolfs" and, at best, in very small teams and very very few work on standard products meant to be used by a large or very large number of end-users. That has mostly been my goal over the last 20 years.

Still, all of this is no excuse for violating the very first developer's commandment: "Thou shall document thy code"

Mit herzlichen Grüßen
Frank

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Frank,

I'd guess you anticipated this astute comment as well:

What would you be willing to pay for a professionally commented, functioning, and documented PharoJS?  Maybe offer that amount to the projects devs and see if they are willing to develop the system you want to use.  Its hard to eat on internet forum complaints alone.

Good luck getting it sorted out

Paul

Frank-B wrote

Mit herzlichen Grüßen
Frank

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Tudor Girba-2

Truth has nothing to do with what our current exchange. In your email, you say "many of them [people] lack some important aspects to be called professionals.” You do not know these people, you do not know their motivations, constraints and goals. This means you are in no position to pass a judgement on these people, and as a consequence your remark can easily be regarded as offensive. Please also do not conflate this discussion in the political correctness debate. It only has to do with common sense.

As I mentioned, PharoJS is an external project. It is not Pharo and its state has no relation to Pharo at present time. We are still very happy that it exists though and that it is still being developed. If you do not want to consider working on or with it is perfectly fine and I was not trying to imply otherwise. However, please do keep in mind that you are on the mailing list pertaining the development of Pharo. If you are interested in Pharo form a user perspective, please refer to the dedicated mailing list: [hidden email].

Concerning Pharo, we do actually place a significant focus on creating documentation on several fronts. For example, there are books written, and others currently being written. We also have projects on making the tools more welcoming for displaying documentation closer to the code. And we do very much welcome improvements to comments inside the image. There actually are several people that contributed mostly comments and documentation in the image and that was a significant contribution. So, given that it was possible in other cases, the suggestion to contribute documentation is not at all out of place.

This being said, we do welcome you and I am happy you had a successful career. At the same time, I do happen to believe that form has a deep effect on people. We want this space to be kind, and I kindly ask you to respect that and to pay attention to the used language especially given that email is such a limited medium and that most people are not native English speakers.

Cheers,
Doru

> [...]
> Pardon, but that's an extremely bad rethorical joke!
>
> Documentation and comments must be written BEFORE any code is written and
> must be ADJUSTED when the code is changed and finally when it seems to be
> finished - from the developer's point of view.
>
> If somebody seriously asks me - as an external - to document and comment
> already finished and totally undocumented code of somebody I do not even
> know, all I can think of is this old saying: "Oh Lord, forgive them as they
> do not know what they are speaking about".
>
> Hopefully, you don't mean this seriously, do you?
>
> BTW: If somebody uses the word "issue" where actually "problem" or "fault"
> or "mistake" would be correct, I see a sign of PC and successful brainwash.
>
> Missing documentation and IN-CODE comments are never an "issue" but always a
> "problem" and a always a great "mistake".

"Things happen when they happen,
not when you talk about them happening."

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi

Noury is still developing PharoJS. If you want to be productive you
should report
- what you did.
- what went wrong.
I will forward to Noury such information because he is not reading
Pharo mailing-list.

Stef

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Frank-B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As recommended here:
> http://forum.world.st/Anybody-using-Orca-Smalltalk-to-JavaScript-td4960519.html
> by @Serge, I loaded the code and tried to run it.
>
> But, I almost tend to say "as usual", *it fails at first try*!
>
> I "did" the code in the Playground window but nothing happens, no code is
> written into the selected directories. When I do "inspect it", I get a
> window (see screenshots), which does not really tell me either, what has
> happened (due to my lack of Pharo knowledge).
>
> Despite my over 20 years of full-time Smalltalk development, I have NOT any
> experience with either Squeak nor Pharo and most of my attempts to use them
> were very frustrating.
>
> Also, I do not feel like trying around, if and because:
> - even the very first test fails immediately
> - there is no meaningful documentation available
> - the classes I looked at were all undocumented (for me, a 100% no-go, never
> ever acceptable)
>
> And then, of course, also the test cases fail, because there is nothing in
> the diretories, where some earlier output was expected.
>
> Pardon, but professionality and confidence causing systems look very
> different too me. I am writing this with sadness, because it is certainly
> not my first such experience in the Squeak/Pharo area.
>
> There are some very bright people engaged here, but for some reason many of
> them lack some important aspects to be called professionals.
>
> Just FYI: My very first application software, an "ERP" system, which I
> started developing more than 35 years ago in horrible Basic, is still
> feeding a company (not mine) with >25 people as their sole product and has a
> couple of hundred business users. Some of my former staff is still working
> there and they said, this is only possible because I did force them
> "dictatorially" to document / comment every single line of code. In the
> beginning, they hated me for that. Today they are very thanksful.
>
> P.S. I DO have a very fast horse, because this is what one needs when
> telling the truth - in these days when truth is the worst "hate crime".

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Frank-B
Paul,

What would you be willing to pay for a professionally commented, functioning, and documented PharoJS?
Pardon, but don't you notice yourself how absurd this question is?

If not - and I am afraid you don't, I tell you why:
- there is NOWHERE any proper listing of what this mysterious piece of software does (the slides don't tell anything)
- before giving a quote, I would have to anylyse the architectural approach
- and compare it with alternatives - no info available (read the docs on Orca and you know hwat I mean)
- and see who delivers under which conditions
- and how well things are documented.

Be assured, that I am well prepared to pay accordingly for a proper product that I can use, provided that I make the decition to delegate such essential work to some outsider.

This technical subject is a CORE feature of almost all of my future products, plans, ideas etc and it is therefore vital to choose the best and most fitting system. If there is no alternative, I would - in case of need - develop it rather myself than depend on an (assumed for the moment) instable and amateurish library.

Frank

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Frank-B
This post was updated on .
Stephane,

all available information is in these two postings further up here:
13 Aug, 2017; 6:18pm versus the end
13 Aug, 2017; 6:38pm

Sorry, I got confused with the two threads on essential a similar subject.

Here are two more posts about the errors in: http://forum.world.st/PharoJS-crashes-at-first-try-td4960686.html

13 Aug, 2017; 4:46pm
13 Aug, 2017; 4:55pm with the creenshots

Frank

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi frank

I think that you are slowly but steadily destroying your aura in this
mailing-list, so be careful. I say that to help
you. Filter are easy to set.

We are all concerned that some of the solutions are not at the level
where they should be.
I'm sure that Noury like us all would love to have an engineer fully
paid and working fully on PharoJS.

Now you should consider that people in this community are
- building nice libraries (just look at the Pharo success stories - we
did not invent them)
- sharing their code and valuing it
- are concerned by documentation, speed, and robustness.

You see take Zinc, NeoJSON, NeoCSV.... they are all HIGH quality, with
nearly instant support from sven,
with EXCELLENT documentation, FAST and continuously maintained.
And for FREE.

So of course not all the solutions in Pharo are like that. But we are trying.

Now I do not know if you are the frank from lesser software I met in
the past but if you do
you may ask yourself what would be state of Pharo if you would have
participated and shared.
So far I never saw anything good or bad coming from this frank. And I
was always asking myself if
we would all work on closed code then a great system like Pharo would not exist.

But we do share and we will continue to improve Pharo with or without
you (remember U2 :)).
Now if you want to join you are welcome.

I can understand your frustration now the difference between you and
me is that I decided
not to be frustrated anymore and help building a better system.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 8:35 PM, Frank-B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,
>

>> What would you be willing to pay for a professionally commented,
>> functioning, and documented PharoJS?
>
> Pardon, but don't you notice yourself how absurd this question is?
>
> If not - and I am afraid you don't, I tell you why:
> - there is NOWHERE any proper listing of what this mysterious piece of
> software does (the slides don't tell anything)
> - before giving a quote, I would have to anylyse the architectural approach
> - and compare it with alternatives - no info available (read the docs on
> Orca and you know hwat I mean)
> - and see who delivers under which conditions
> - and how well things are documented.
>
> Be assured, that I am well prepared to pay accordingly for a proper product
> that I can use, provided that I make the decition to delegate such essential
> work to some outsider.
>
> This technical subject is a CORE feature of almost all of my future
> products, plans, ideas etc and it is therefore vital to choose the best and
> most fitting system. If there is no alternative, I would - in case of need -
> develop it rather myself than depend on an (assumed for the moment) instable
> and amateurish library.
>
> Frank

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

Frank-B
Stephane,

thank you for your open words.

1) No I am NOT Frank Lesser and I will communicate this even clearer in a personal email to you.

2) I had tried to make very clear that I see the Pharo project very positive and my critics as being (at least intended) constructive.

3) I never care about my reputation. I only care about truth, facts and a sincere appearance. Few people appreciate this attitude and I do not value the others all too high or seriously. Unfortunately, we all have to live in these timees of universal lies, deception and fraud. You probably know the good German word "Lügenpresse" and my version is: "the current Zeitgeist equals Lügenpresse".

4) I have some good, solid and unusual ideas how I could improve the Pharo project considerably but for several reasons it is much to early to discuss this. It will take another 2-3 years and I will definitely come back when the time has come on my side.

5) As a contributor in the general Pharo sense I am currently neither capable (working 85-100 hours a week on my projects) nor eligible and the latter reason is not simple to explain, so I leave it at that for now.

Frank

Re: PharoJS crashes at first try

NorbertHartl

> Am 13.08.2017 um 21:19 schrieb Frank-B <[hidden email]>:
>
> Stephane,
>
> thank you for your open words.
>
> 1) No I am NOT Frank Lesser and I will communicate this even clearer in a
> personal email to you.
>
> 2) I had tried to make very clear that I see the Pharo project very positive
> and my critics as being (at least intended) constructive.
>
> 3) I never care about my reputation. I only care about truth, facts and a
> sincere appearance. Few people appreciate this attitude and I do not value
> the others all too high or seriously. Unfortunately, we all have to live in
> these timees of universal lies, deception and fraud. You probably know the
> good German word "Lügenpresse" and my version is: "the current Zeitgeist
> equals Lügenpresse".

"Lügenpresse" is not a good german word. It is a propaganda attempt by nationalists and used elsewhere by equally narrow minded people.

Norbert

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 9:19 PM, Frank-B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stephane,
>
> thank you for your open words.
>
> 1) No I am NOT Frank Lesser and I will communicate this even clearer in a
> personal email to you.

Ok ;)

> 2) I had tried to make very clear that I see the Pharo project very positive
> and my critics as being (at least intended) constructive.

Ok :)

> 3) I never care about my reputation. I only care about truth, facts and a
> sincere appearance. Few people appreciate this attitude and I do not value
> the others all too high or seriously. Unfortunately, we all have to live in
> these timees of universal lies, deception and fraud. You probably know the
> good German word "Lügenpresse" and my version is: "the current Zeitgeist
> equals Lügenpresse".

I do not german and the underlying message.
My advice is that generally people are nice and willing to help but it
depends also how
people behave :).

> 4) I have some good, solid and unusual ideas how I could improve the Pharo
> project considerably but for several reasons it is much to early to discuss
> this. It will take another 2-3 years and I will definitely come back when
> the time has come on my side.
>
> 5) As a contributor in the general Pharo sense I am currently neither
> capable (working 85-100 hours a week on my projects) nor eligible and the
> latter reason is not simple to explain, so I leave it at that for now.

Ok. It is up to you.
You see today I saw the method -> in Object and there is not a little
example in the comments.
So I will add one so that newbies like my sons can read and understand
without their father telling them.
And this is a contribution. :)

Stef