PharoKernel #12121

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel #12121:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27438/PharoKernel-1.2-12121.zip

The shrinking process is now based on packages.

Cheers
-- Pavel

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Lukas Renggli
Very impressive. Can't wait to see Pharo built from such a small image.

Lukas

On 2 September 2010 23:02, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel #12121:
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27438/PharoKernel-1.2-12121.zip
>
> The shrinking process is now based on packages.
>
> Cheers
> -- Pavel

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Stéphane Ducasse
for me this is simple
        - I would like to use a metacello configuration to reload everything in between
        this kernel image and the current 12121 but I do not have the time.

So ...

On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Very impressive. Can't wait to see Pharo built from such a small image.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 2 September 2010 23:02, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel #12121:
>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27438/PharoKernel-1.2-12121.zip
>>
>> The shrinking process is now based on packages.
>>
>> Cheers
>> -- Pavel

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: PharoKernel #12121

I got an idea: I will ask gabriel to help me producing a metacello config for pharo core and once this is working we can start to
work on migrating to use PharoKernel as a basis.

Stef

On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Very impressive. Can't wait to see Pharo built from such a small image.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 2 September 2010 23:02, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel #12121:
>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27438/PharoKernel-1.2-12121.zip
>>
>> The shrinking process is now based on packages.
>>
>> Cheers
>> -- Pavel

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

it will require some additional work. I tried to load Monticello to
PharoKernel and here are some notes:
- some classes still need FileList for the service registration.
- initialization order at the end of source files doesn't reflect
class hierarchy order
- whole class-based initialization problematic, it should be replaced
by package-based initialization
- we need a general mechanism that will enable to put versioned text
files into MC packages (like current source.st), so we will be able to
store initialization scripts, general package help etc.
- Fonts need some refactorings. Some sort of AbstractFont only with
capabilities required only by Text class should be part of the kernel.

etc. etc. etc.... :-)

Cheers,
-- Pavel

2010/9/3 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
> Is it morphic image? Or it is headless? I cant run it as usual image

It is headless image. You have to use start-up scripts. See the file
"build_image.sh".

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: PharoKernel #12121

George Herolyants-3
2010/9/3 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
> It is headless image. You have to use start-up scripts. See the file
> "build_image.sh".

So, why do you need this one:

> - Fonts need some refactorings. Some sort of AbstractFont only with
> capabilities required only by Text class should be part of the kernel.

?

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Pavel Krivanek-3
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:11 PM, George Herolyants
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2010/9/3 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
>> It is headless image. You have to use start-up scripts. See the file
>> "build_image.sh".
>
> So, why do you need this one:
>
>> - Fonts need some refactorings. Some sort of AbstractFont only with
>> capabilities required only by Text class should be part of the kernel.

Because we need Text in the kernel and this class has ugly
dependencies on fonts. But this class does need only basic information
about used fonts like name, size etc. It is not the only problematic
part of the Text class. For example it is dependent on URLs.

-- Pavel

> ?

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Denis Kudriashov
Could you explain why Text is not part of ui system? And why it should be in kernel?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2010/9/3 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
>> It is headless image. You have to use start-up scripts. See the file
>> "build_image.sh".
>
> So, why do you need this one:
>
>> - Fonts need some refactorings. Some sort of AbstractFont only with
>> capabilities required only by Text class should be part of the kernel.

Because we need Text in the kernel and this class has ugly
dependencies on fonts. But this class does need only basic information
about used fonts like name, size etc. It is not the only problematic
part of the Text class. For example it is dependent on URLs.

-- Pavel

> ?

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Pavel Krivanek-3
2010/9/3 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
> Could you explain why Text is not part of ui system? And why it should be in
> kernel?

In fact some time ago I had a headless image without Text but it
needed a lot of modifications. Pharo can use text formatting for the
source codes. That is the main reason why Text should be in the
kernel.

-- Pavel

> 2010/9/3 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 2:11 PM, George Herolyants
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > So, why do you need this one:

>> Because we need Text in the kernel and this class has ugly
>> dependencies on fonts. But this class does need only basic information
>> about used fonts like name, size etc. It is not the only problematic
>> part of the Text class. For example it is dependent on URLs.
>>
>> -- Pavel
>>
>> > ?

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Adrian Lienhard

On Sep 3, 2010, at 15:03 , Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> 2010/9/3 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
>> Could you explain why Text is not part of ui system? And why it should be in
>> kernel?
>
> In fact some time ago I had a headless image without Text but it
> needed a lot of modifications. Pharo can use text formatting for the
> source codes. That is the main reason why Text should be in the
> kernel.

oh, shouldn't we better remove the text formatting in source code feature?

I assume almost nobody uses it and it is more annoying than helpful (e.g., if I copy code from a mail, I never want to style my code).

Adrian

> -- Pavel
>
>> 2010/9/3 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>

>>> Because we need Text in the kernel and this class has ugly
>>> dependencies on fonts. But this class does need only basic information
>>> about used fonts like name, size etc. It is not the only problematic
>>> part of the Text class. For example it is dependent on URLs.
>>>
>>> -- Pavel

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Lukas Renggli
>> In fact some time ago I had a headless image without Text but it
>> needed a lot of modifications. Pharo can use text formatting for the
>> source codes. That is the main reason why Text should be in the
>> kernel.
>
> oh, shouldn't we better remove the text formatting in source code feature?

Yes, this complicates everything and is not used anywhere.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: PharoKernel #12121

> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2010/9/3 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>:
>>> It is headless image. You have to use start-up scripts. See the file
>>> "build_image.sh".
>>
>> So, why do you need this one:
>>
>>> - Fonts need some refactorings. Some sort of AbstractFont only with
>>> capabilities required only by Text class should be part of the kernel.
>
> Because we need Text in the kernel and this class has ugly
> dependencies on fonts. But this class does need only basic information
> about used fonts like name, size etc. It is not the only problematic
> part of the Text class. For example it is dependent on URLs.

:)

I think that we should go slowly. The tool that nicolas is building will help us
on that because we can browse dependencies and mark them as blacklisted

He will start to push on us things to fix.
Jannik also asked to use DSM on the complete Pharo image and to qualify
dependencies. I have 800 references to qualify and I started to write log
now I will open tickets.

Re: PharoKernel #12121

I sent an email on this topics a while ago if I remember correctly but I got not
real feedback.

We can always add another layer later to do hypertext navigation but not on the source
code.

>>> In fact some time ago I had a headless image without Text but it
>>> needed a lot of modifications. Pharo can use text formatting for the
>>> source codes. That is the main reason why Text should be in the
>>> kernel.
>>
>> oh, shouldn't we better remove the text formatting in source code feature?
>
> Yes, this complicates everything and is not used anywhere.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 03-09-2010 a las 15:24 +0200, Adrian Lienhard escribió:

> On Sep 3, 2010, at 15:03 , Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
> > 2010/9/3 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
> >> Could you explain why Text is not part of ui system? And why it should be in
> >> kernel?
> >
> > In fact some time ago I had a headless image without Text but it
> > needed a lot of modifications. Pharo can use text formatting for the
> > source codes. That is the main reason why Text should be in the
> > kernel.
>
> oh, shouldn't we better remove the text formatting in source code feature?
>
> I assume almost nobody uses it and it is more annoying than helpful (e.g., if I copy code from a mail, I never want to style my code).

+1

It can be added as an external packege for development images later.

> Adrian
>

> > -- Pavel

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Adrian Lienhard
I added a ticket:

Adrian

On Sep 3, 2010, at 17:20 , Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:

> El vie, 03-09-2010 a las 15:24 +0200, Adrian Lienhard escribió:

>>> In fact some time ago I had a headless image without Text but it
>>> needed a lot of modifications. Pharo can use text formatting for the
>>> source codes. That is the main reason why Text should be in the
>>> kernel.
>>
>> oh, shouldn't we better remove the text formatting in source code feature?
>>
>> I assume almost nobody uses it and it is more annoying than helpful (e.g., if I copy code from a mail, I never want to style my code).
>
> +1
>
> It can be added as an external packege for development images later.
>

>> Adrian
>>

>>> -- Pavel

> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
for me this is simple
       - I would like to use a metacello configuration to reload everything in between
       this kernel image and the current 12121 but I do not have the time.

I was just thinking if this really makes sense or not...Suppose I have the PharoCore image 12121.

From that image, I can shrink it and generate PharoKernel 12121.

If I then have a configuration to load the core again, I will have again PharoCore 12121, which I already have, and which I can directly use. So...what is the sense of creating again PharoCore from PharoKernel?

A different story is if PharoCore 12121 DOES NOT exist before...so you start from PharoKernel 12121 and THEN create PharoCore....but PharoKernel is a shrink from PharoCore...soo...?

I am confused :(

cheers

mariano

So ...

On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Very impressive. Can't wait to see Pharo built from such a small image.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 2 September 2010 23:02, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel #12121:
>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27438/PharoKernel-1.2-12121.zip
>>
>> The shrinking process is now based on packages.
>>
>> Cheers
>> -- Pavel

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: PharoKernel #12121

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

2010/9/3 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> for me this is simple
>>        - I would like to use a metacello configuration to reload
>> everything in between
>>        this kernel image and the current 12121 but I do not have the time.
>>

> I was just thinking if this really makes sense or not...Suppose I have the
> PharoCore image 12121.
>
> From that image, I can shrink it and generate PharoKernel 12121.
>
> If I then have a configuration to load the core again, I will have again
> PharoCore 12121, which I already have, and which I can directly use.
> So...what is the sense of creating again PharoCore from PharoKernel?
>
> A different story is if PharoCore 12121 DOES NOT exist before...so you start
> from PharoKernel 12121 and THEN create PharoCore....but PharoKernel is a
> shrink from PharoCore...soo...?
>
> I am confused :(

Original KernelImage used a Morphic image as the starting point too.
The build-server updated the image, shrinked to the kernel and then he
created a set of various headless and GUI-containing images (kernel,
base, seaside, seasidexul, morhpiccore, tools, etoys...) where the
original starting image was only one of many.

Plus:
- you can create updated kernel image without need of MC and network
support in the kernel
- you have better control about content of the image
- the initialization process of the packages (like Morphic) is described well
- you can create a build & test server easily with a lot of output images
- requires good modularization
- you have direct feedback if the shrink&build process is not broken

Minus:
- changes file is bigger because it stores all code above the level of
the kernel as the new code

Note that the shrinking process will be replaced with direct image
bootstrapping.

Cheers
-- Pavel

> cheers
>
> mariano
>

>> So ...
>>
>> On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>> > Very impressive. Can't wait to see Pharo built from such a small image.
>> >
>> > Lukas

>> > --
>> > Lukas Renggli
>> > www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: PharoKernel #12121

> I was just thinking if this really makes sense or not...Suppose I have the PharoCore image 12121.
>
> From that image, I can shrink it and generate PharoKernel 12121.
>
> If I then have a configuration to load the core again, I will have again PharoCore 12121, which I already have, and which I can directly use. So...what is the sense of creating again PharoCore from PharoKernel?
>
> A different story is if PharoCore 12121 DOES NOT exist before...so you start from PharoKernel 12121 and THEN create PharoCore....but PharoKernel is a shrink from PharoCore...soo...?
>
> I am confused :(
>
> cheers
>
> mariano
>

> So ...

listen little jedi

- if we do not have an infrastructure in place to manage lot of packages then there is no need to push to get a little core.
- I would be already really happy if I can take pharoKernel + MCloader -> loading metacello and loading all the packages and get 12121
- Now when we are in step 2 we will be able to
        - cut packages change the map and snap out fingers or think about the forces and produce better packaged system
        - iterate
- I'm not a big believer of shrinking and I would like to have a bootstrap but this is the path to go.
so ideally at the end of the process we should be able to even recreate bootstrappedpharoKernel from itself of another image.