PharoKernel #12159

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27540/PharoKernel-1.2-12159.zip

The Compression package is now part of the kernel image because the CompiledMethodTrailer requires it. It is on the next discussion whether we should keep this state. As the result the image is more dirty now.
I added some code that enables to download primitive packages and run SUnit tests. So it will be possible to create automatically the images with Network and Monticello (after some fixing of this packages).

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: PharoKernel #12159

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27540/PharoKernel-1.2-12159.zip
>
> The Compression package is now part of the kernel image because the
> CompiledMethodTrailer requires it. It is on the next discussion whether we
> should keep this state. As the result the image is more dirty now.

I started the refactoring of CompiledMethodTrailers, but didn't finish
it so far. The code is mostly complete, but untested and the
migration/integration code is totally missing. I added a class for
every kind of trailer, so the trailers which depend on the Compression
package can be moved to the Compression package if the refactoring is
ready and accepted.

Levente

> I added some code that enables to download primitive packages and run SUnit
> tests. So it will be possible to create automatically the images with
> Network and Monticello (after some fixing of this packages).
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Re: PharoKernel #12159

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27540/PharoKernel-1.2-12159.zip
>
> The Compression package is now part of the kernel image because the
> CompiledMethodTrailer requires it. It is on the next discussion whether we
> should keep this state. As the result the image is more dirty now.
> I added some code that enables to download primitive packages and run SUnit
> tests. So it will be possible to create automatically the images with
> Network and Monticello (after some fixing of this packages).

Monticello depends on the Compression package, so it has to be in the
image if you want to use Monticello.

Levente

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

Hi,

I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27540/PharoKernel-1.2-12159.zip

The Compression package is now part of the kernel image because the
CompiledMethodTrailer requires it. It is on the next discussion whether we
should keep this state. As the result the image is more dirty now.
I added some code that enables to download primitive packages and run SUnit
tests. So it will be possible to create automatically the images with
Network and Monticello (after some fixing of this packages).

Monticello depends on the Compression package, so it has to be in the image if you want to use Monticello.

Of course, but it can be downloaded as separate package. The image that creates the PharoKernel image firstly downloads the latest source codes of the pre-monticello packages from SqueakSource and saves it as the normal files that PharoKernel can file-in.

-- Pavel

Levente

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: PharoKernel #12159

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I uploaded the new version of PharoKernel
>>>
>>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27540/PharoKernel-1.2-12159.zip
>>>
>>> The Compression package is now part of the kernel image because the
>>> CompiledMethodTrailer requires it. It is on the next discussion whether we
>>> should keep this state. As the result the image is more dirty now.
>>> I added some code that enables to download primitive packages and run
>>> SUnit
>>> tests. So it will be possible to create automatically the images with
>>> Network and Monticello (after some fixing of this packages).
>>>

>> Monticello depends on the Compression package, so it has to be in the image
>> if you want to use Monticello.
>

> Of course, but it can be downloaded as separate package. The image that
> creates the PharoKernel image firstly downloads the latest source codes of
> the pre-monticello packages from SqueakSource and saves it as the normal
> files that PharoKernel can file-in.

Is it possible to store anything other than mcz mcd or mcm files on
SqueakSource? If not, then how can PharoKernel decompress the mcz/mcd
files without the Compression package?

Levente

> -- Pavel
>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> -- Pavel

Re: PharoKernel #12159

Pavel Krivanek-3

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The downloading and uncompressing of the package is done from PharoCore image. The PharoCore image saves the basic packages, it shrinks itself to the PharoKernel and then it loads primitive packages again as classical source files.

-- Pavel

Levente

-- Pavel

Levente

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: PharoKernel #12159

Ok I see and yes it would be good to be able to decouple that from the kernel.
Let us know when you have something.
BTW igor is it not possible to achieve the same with a class extension?