PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
PharoLauncher is cool!! Once I realized I could specify the image folder with "PhLDirectoryBasedImageRepository location: aFileReference", I was very happy (I won't start the "images don't belong in ApplicationSupport thread again, promise ;)).

There is however one thing that I think could be very confusing... the build artifact is called "Pharo_0.2.4.dmg". Now I understand the rationale that for a new user we are trying for "PharoLauncher = Pharo", but even I was a little confused seeing version 0.2.4. Since it's only an installer, if we really need its version number in the artifact, how about "Pharo_Installer_0.2.4.dmg" or even the more verbose but perhaps clearer "Pharo_4.0_ Installer_0.2.4.dmg"? The application ultimately gets installed as "Pharo" anyway.

Some cool things:
- the fullscreen UI is neat
- dropping down into developer mode is seemless and works well

One other suggestion: I'm sure this must have been brought up before, but it seems to download a fresh image every time (e.g. even if two images are created from the same template within a few seconds). It seems like it should be possible to do some caching here...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
One other suggestion
Also the matrix build hasn't run in almost a month and the 4.0, stable Mac image is an out-of-date #40511 image. I kicked off the build manually. Let's see what happens...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Nicolai Hess

[...]

There is some kind of "cache". The "local" template (at the top of the right pane
lists all local (downloaded) templates.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> There is some kind of "cache". The "local" template (at the top of the right pane
> lists all local (downloaded) templates.
I did see that, but my understanding was that we currently have two options:
1. the same image that was last downloaded via the local template
2. and downloading the latest version from files.pharo.org

If that’s correct, I’m proposing a third option: download the latest from files.pharo.org unless it’s the same as the local template version.

Cheers,
Sean

Re: PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Ben Coman
I'd really like to do away with the "Local" template folder and on the original remote template indicate that it is cached locally - but I haven't found the time to experiment.
cheers -ben

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 4:33 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is some kind of "cache". The "local" template (at the top of the right pane
> lists all local (downloaded) templates.
I did see that, but my understanding was that we currently have two options:
1. the same image that was last downloaded via the local template
2. and downloading the latest version from files.pharo.org

If that’s correct, I’m proposing a third option: download the latest from files.pharo.org unless it’s the same as the local template version.

Cheers,
Sean

Re: PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 20/03/15 20:25, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> PharoLauncher is cool!! Once I realized I could specify the image folder with
> "PhLDirectoryBasedImageRepository location: aFileReference", I was very
> happy (I won't start the "images don't belong in ApplicationSupport thread
> again, promise ;)).

I agree, I like PharoLauncher. It works very well. Sean, you didn't add
a "deploy this image on Digital Ocean" command yet?

Stephan

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 3:25 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is however one thing that I think could be very confusing... the build
artifact is called "Pharo_0.2.4.dmg". Now I understand the rationale that
for a new user we are trying for "PharoLauncher = Pharo", but even I was a
little confused seeing version 0.2.4. Since it's only an installer, if we
really need its version number in the artifact, how about
"Pharo_Installer_0.2.4.dmg" or even the more verbose but perhaps clearer
"Pharo_4.0_ Installer_0.2.4.dmg"? The application ultimately gets installed
as "Pharo" anyway.

I second this.  What is philosophy behind installing PharoLauncher as "Pharo"?  I can't see the gain. To me "Pharo Launcher" is a suitable descriptive application name.
cheers -ben

Re: PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> I agree, I like PharoLauncher. It works very well. Sean, you didn't add
> a "deploy this image on Digital Ocean" command yet?
I know, I’m such a slacker ;) Shouldn’t be too hard, though…
Cheers,
Sean

Re: PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Damien Cassou

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:
> I second this.  What is philosophy behind installing PharoLauncher as
> "Pharo"?  I can't see the gain. To me "Pharo Launcher" is a suitable
> descriptive application name.
> cheers -ben

the PharoLauncher is supposed to disappear and be the default Pharo
download (maybe for Pharo 5). As a new user:

1- you download pharo (= the launcher) from pharo.org by clicking the
   large download button

2- you double-click what you've just downloaded and you are presented
   with the launcher window

3- you select a template on the right or an image on the left

4- you are done

So, there is no more notion of launcher. Try with Eclipse. When you
start Eclipse, you are presented with a little window that asks you
which workspace you want to use. This is not called the Eclipse Launcher
but just Eclipse.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: PharoLauncher: Great Tool, Confusing Name

Damien Cassou

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'd really like to do away with the "Local" template folder and on the
> original remote template indicate that it is cached locally - but I haven't
> found the time to experiment.

agree. Someone needs to do it.