PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

12

PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

kilon.alios
I downloaded PharoLauncher from smalltalkhub for Windows and it appears is not the latest version for example it has no template for downloading Pharo 4.

Re: PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

kilon.alios
I also downloaded the zip file it still does not give me the same version as MacOSX, no Pharo 4 template

I downloaded PharoLauncher from smalltalkhub for Windows and it appears is not the latest version for example it has no template for downloading Pharo 4.

Re: PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

Tim Mackinnon
What do you mean by Pharo 4 template? I just made a contribution yesterday - watched it build the new zip file, and I just downloaded that zip and I am seeing a “Pharo 4.0 (beta)” template tree?

Just to check you are using the latest version, if you right click on a template and choose “Create Image” - does it prefix the parent of the template to the suggested name (e.g. Pharo 3.0-latest)? (this was the change I made).

It might be worth checking your settings as well (click on the icon lower right) and check that you haven’t accidentally unticked the Pharo 4.0 repository.

Tim

On 27 Aug 2014, at 09:28, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

I also downloaded the zip file it still does not give me the same version as MacOSX, no Pharo 4 template

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
I downloaded PharoLauncher from smalltalkhub for Windows and it appears is not the latest version for example it has no template for downloading Pharo 4.

Re: PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

kilon.alios
I mean PharoLauncher cannot download Pharo 4 because it displays no such option. No Moose 5 , etc etc. Its also the old GUI. So this must be the latest version, I am not near my window pc now at work so I will try tomorrow the developer mode to see exactly which version of PharoLauncher it is.

Are you on windows ?

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hmmm that sounds strange (it could be I messed something up) - but did you get your zip file from: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher/885/PHARO=30,VERSION=bleedingEdge,VM=vm/  ??

I just tested that one (but on OSX) and it shows my change as well as templates for Moose 5 and Pharo 4.

I’ve just pushed another change (which would be 886), which also fixes a bug Stef mentioned (if underlying files change, it used to terminate instead of refreshing) - that should build shortly.

However - the links on SmalltalkHub are still pointing to images from Jun (the Hudson jobs aren’t triggered automatically it seems) - so I think you might be running something other than what you think you are running.

Anyway - let me know what happens, and I’ll try and talk to Damien (who is on holiday) - and sort it out if I’ve broken it.

Tim

On 27 Aug 2014, at 15:16, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

No dont talk to Damien if he is on holiday , I prefer to respect people free time / relaxation time. This can wait for when Damien will be back. Both Damien and I frequent the irc channel so we will talk , its not a problem.

As I said in my original post I am downloading PharoLauncher from Smalltalkhub links that can be located here

the link you posted is not contained in there , I used this

and this

As I said my problem is on Windows, on MacOS its fine .

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ok - then it could be that the jobs that produce those Platform specific builds could be messed up (at least for windows).

If you want the latest build - follow the CI link mentioned on Smalltalk hub - which will end up on Jenkins, and the latex build is 886 - https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher/886/PHARO=30,VERSION=bleedingEdge,VM=vm/

If you take that .image file you will have the absolute latest - which does show Moose and Pharo 4.

And I agree - we will leave Damien alone and when he gets back he said he would look at my changes anyway - which should cause new platform builds.

Tim

On 27 Aug 2014, at 16:55, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ben Coman
kilon alios wrote:
[...]

Are you operating as a Standard(Limited) User ?  Sounds like UAC File Virtualization. I got hit by that.  I believe that your new PharoLauncher application with Pharo 4 template installed okay, but its being hidden by your virtual copy of the old application. Two checks you can do:
1. Run Launcher as an Administrator and check if you get different tempaltes.
2. Check if you have a folder C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Pharo

The hack fix is to delete that folder.

I believe this problem will only occur if you go into development mode and save the image, however this would be better to avoid this constraint.  I see a few options for a permanent solution, but I don't know which is best, so I stalled in implementing it.
a. Install VM into C:\Program Files (x86) and Image & Changes files into C:\ProgramData\Pharo
b. Install VM into C:\Program Files (x86) and Image & Changes files into C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT\AppData\Roaming\pharo\bin
c. Install whole PharoLauncher app only per user (e.g. for "Just Me" ) VM & Image & Changes into folder C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT\AppData\Roaming\pharo\bin
d. When run as admin, PharoLauncher Installer puts itself in the machine folderC:\Program Files (x86)  and when this is run as a Standard User, it sets up per (b.).

Actually reading around and finding [1], maybe (a.) is best.

[1] http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Installation/Q_28235986.html

Background info...
https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/windows-7/blog/2009/10/02/uac-virtualization-and-how-it-affects-your-installers
http://blogs.technet.com/b/mrsnrub/archive/2010/08/11/uac-virtualization-allowing-standard-users-to-update-a-system-protected-area.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2009/12/14/tales-of-application-compatibility-weirdness-demystifying-uac-virtualization.aspx

HTH, cheers -ben

Re: PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

Tim Mackinnon
Wow - thanks for the detail Ben. I'd forgotten about that windows virtual stuff. It's quite tricky...

I guess we might have to add this to the SmalltalkHub description on confirmation from Kilon.

Tim

P.s. I have another simple change queued up to let Launcher use a specified VM (not just the one you launched with). On the mac this gets around not being able to run Launcher again if it exits after launching an image (eg to launch a second one). It also has a nice side effect to let you test with a bleeding edge VM.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

HTH, cheers -ben

Re: PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

kilon.alios
ok thing get worse and worse

I try to run pharo as administrator and pharo opens and exits immediately , it creates a stderr which contains the following

I found the folder you mentioned and I deleted it , now pharo does not open at all even when run without "run as administrator"

Boy I hate Windoom. I also tried Tim link , nothing, pharo opens but does nothing, no gui, nothing. I know it opens because i can see its process in the task manager which i have to terminate manually.

I do all my coding and art on macos, I only have windows at work so i can test my code on windoom too, but this was the last straw, I had enough with this uber crappy OS for 17 years now. I am dropping support for it and sticking to MacOS only.

Thanks guys for your help but it does not worth it. I hope no other windows user experience my problem.

HTH, cheers -ben

kilon alios wrote:

> ok thing get worse and worse
>
> I try to run pharo as administrator and pharo opens and exits
> immediately , it creates a stderr which contains the following
>
> http://pastebin.com/v9Hpx9pK
>
> I found the folder you mentioned and I deleted it , now pharo does not
> open at all even when run without "run as administrator"
>
> Boy I hate Windoom. I also tried Tim link , nothing, pharo opens but
> does nothing, no gui, nothing. I know it opens because i can see its
> process in the task manager which i have to terminate manually.
>
> I do all my coding and art on macos, I only have windows at work so i
> can test my code on windoom too, but this was the last straw, I had
> enough with this uber crappy OS for 17 years now. I am dropping
> support for it and sticking to MacOS only.
>
> Thanks guys for your help but it does not worth it. I hope no other
> windows user experience my problem.

I empathize.  I've been a Linux advocate for years, but never made the
full desktop switch since I needed a Windows system for corporate
compatibility. Then I got a mac-mini to experiment with iPad Mobile
Device Management, and found it easier to get Latex working on it than
on Windows (for processing Pillar output), and now I find myself using
it for Pharo more every day, and my Windows box is starting to be
neglected (except I still need to migrate my old Thunderbird email archive).

However success in the corporate world still hinges a lot on Windows
compatibility. I will still have a go at updating PharoLauncher
Installer to avoid this problem.

cheers, Ben

P.S. @Tim, Your alternate-VM feature sound interesting.  I'll check it out.

Re: PharoLauncher on Windows not the latest version

kilon.alios
My work pc is dual boot to ubuntu and win 7 . I am not a fan of linux either, loads of problems there but nowhere near as bad as windoom.

I need windoom because of a Greek OCR I use at work to scan legal documents. I have no choice other than to continue using it.

I dont care what the corporate world does or the fact that almost 100% of my fellow lawyers use windoom and some still DOS. Thats their problem :D

It would be nice to support what 95% of people use out there, but alas I cant take it anymore. Coding should be fun, Windoom kills my inner child. Sorry for those that have to tolerate this crap, but I am lucky enough not to .

/ranting off

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
kilon alios wrote:
[...]

Kilon - it would be good if we could percevear to try and get a fix and detailed instructions for other less confident users… At least test Ben’s updated installer so we can clear this.

I appreciate the aggravation you are putting up with.

Tim

kilon alios wrote:
[...]

So I manage to get Launcher running with downloading pharolauncher zip and then downloading pharo 3 and joining the two folders. Launcher now runs but  I dont want it to store images in my c drive so I go to preferences and tell it where in my D drive to save images (D:\software\PharoImages) I press enter and I am getting this error

WindowsStore(Object)>>primitiveFailed:
WindowsStore(Object)>>primitiveFailed
WindowsStore(FileSystemStore)>>rename:ifAbsent:to:ifPresent:fileSystem:
FileSystem>>rename:ifAbsent:to:ifPresent:
FileSystem>>rename:to:
FileReference>>moveTo:
PhLRelocateImageDirectoryCommand>>execute in Block: [ :child | child moveTo: (self target resolvePath:...etc...
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>collect:
PhLRelocateImageDirectoryCommand>>execute
PhLRelocateImageDirectoryCommand>>executeOrInform
PhLDirectoryBasedImageRepository class>>migrateFrom:to:
PhLDirectoryBasedImageRepository class>>location:
PhLDirectoryBasedImageRepository class>>locationString:
SettingDeclaration>>realValue:
SettingDeclaration>>index:
EditableDropListMorph(DropListMorph)>>listSelectionIndex:
EditableDropListMorph>>content:
PluggableTextFieldMorph>>acceptTextInModel
PluggableTextFieldMorph(PluggableTextMorph)>>acceptBasic
PluggableTextFieldMorph>>accept
TextMorphForFieldView(TextMorphForEditView)>>acceptContents
TextEditor>>accept
TextMorphForFieldView(TextMorphForEditView)>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForFieldView>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForFieldView(TextMorph)>>handleKeystroke:
KeyboardEvent>>sentTo:
TextMorphForFieldView(Morph)>>handleEvent:
TextMorphForFieldView(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear: in Block: [ ...
BlockClosure>>on:do:

kilon alios wrote:
[...]

yes launcher works fine with C , i am actually using a pharo 3 image with it that I downloaded with pharolauncher.I had so far one  windows problem after another, for example I tried to get gitfiletree and for some reason shortcuts dont work so I tried alt+d and ctrl+d to do it , nothing. The Gofer complained that it has no loadStable message while it has so I had to do the cascade one line at a time instead. Etc Etc. Pharo needs definetly more developers on windows side. Its clear that development is unix centered but then the story is the same for most open source projects out there. Looks like windows is extremely popular with users and extremely unpopular with at least open source developers .

Do I blame them ? hell no :D

kilon alios wrote:
[...]

I can confirm this behaviour.  It looks like FilePlugin cannot 'rename' a folder across drives, although it can rename a file across drives. A hack to demonstrate from Workspace...

filePlugin := FilePluginPrims allInstances first.
filePlugin  rename: 'C:\Temp\Test\file1.txt' to: 'C:\Temp\Test\file2.txt'.  "-->sucess"
filePlugin rename: 'E:\Temp\Test\file1.txt' to: 'E:\Temp\Test\file2.txt'.  "-->sucess"
filePlugin rename: 'C:\Temp\Test\file2.txt' to: 'E:\Temp\Test\file3.txt'.  "-->sucess"

filePlugin rename: 'C:\Temp\Test\folder1' to: 'C:\Temp\Test\folder2'.  "-->sucess"
filePlugin rename: 'E:\Temp\Test\folder1' to: 'E:\Temp\Test\folder2'.  "-->sucess"
filePlugin rename: 'C:\Temp\Test\folder2' to: 'E:\Temp\Test\folder3'.  "-->fail"

I think that is more of a design constraint that a bug.  VBscript has a similar problem [1]. I cloned Pharo-vm off github and in ".../platforms/wind32/plugins/FilePlugin/sqWin32FilePrims.c" found function sqFileRenameOldSizeNewSize uses win32api function MoveFileW which is documented [2] as "The MoveFile function will move (rename) either a file or a directory (including its children) either in the same directory or across directories. The one caveat is that the MoveFile function will fail on directory moves when the destination is on a different volume."

Unix platforms don't encounter this since all volumes are mounted under one root.  (e.g. OSX mounting usb drives under /Volumes). I guess the Unix equivalent might be renaming to folder across network shares, though I'm not familiar with how different OS's handles that.

However we should consider consistency across platforms.  Cross volume folder renames could be checked for, and modified to a copy/delete strategy. To state the obvious, the options of where to do this are:
a. In PharoLauncher
b. In Pharo in WindowsStore(FileSystemStore)>>rename:ifAbsent:to:ifPresent:fileSystem:
c. In VM

Off the cuff, I'd vote for (b.), but others will better idea of the approach to take. Now if indeed a copy/delete fallback strategy is considered beneficial, it would need to consider how timestamps are handled.

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript/gz7mv5r50xs
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365239(v=vs.85).aspx

cheers -ben

btw, Since this was my first time looking a VM code, I'm happy to report it was dead easy to clone pharo-vm from github and review (without yet trying to compile). Actually I cloned on OSX so I could `find` the win32 FilePlugin code.