PharoNOS

12

Re: PharoNOS

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Mike,

tried to swap the image using the following procedure:

1. Run the following code to download latest Pharo 4.0

    ZnClient new
       url: 'http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip';
       downloadTo: '/mnt/universe/pharo-image/latest.zip'.
    ZipArchive extractAllIn: '/mnt/universe/pharo-image/latest.zip'.

   and extract to "/mnt/universe/pharo-image/"

2. Now I wanted to change /mnt/universe/image file name
   to point to the new image. Unfortunately I can not write or delete/recreate
   this file from Pharo's file browser.

Can you provide the build script for the ISO also on GitHub?

Thx
T.

Re: PharoNOS

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

do you plan to develop it as a plugin? When I played with TinyCore
Linux and Pharo (using framebuffer), I directly applied required the
plugins on the filesystem.

-- Pavel

> Hi Mike,
>
> tried to swap the image using the following procedure:
>
> 1. Run the following code to download latest Pharo 4.0
>
>     ZnClient new
>        url: 'http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip';
>        downloadTo: '/mnt/universe/pharo-image/latest.zip'.
>     ZipArchive extractAllIn: '/mnt/universe/pharo-image/latest.zip'.
>
>    and extract to "/mnt/universe/pharo-image/"
>
> 2. Now I wanted to change /mnt/universe/image file name
>    to point to the new image. Unfortunately I can not write or delete/recreate
>    this file from Pharo's file browser.
>
> Can you provide the build script for the ISO also on GitHub?
>
> Thx
> T.

Re: PharoNOS

Denis Kudriashov
If SqueakNOS wil continued and moved to Pharo this name (PharoNOS) should be free. Maybe this project should be renamed? PharoLinux?

Anyway great job. I remember many yeas ago squeak had similar project by some japanese guy

Then, PharoNOS does not mean No Operating System, but minimun operating system?

A few days ago I answered in this list about  Smalltalk-based unikernels, similar to Mirage OS (http://www.openmirage.org/).

Do you think PharoNOS can evolve into this kind of tool?

I see, I dont have experience with TinyCore linux, but I do have experience with puppy linux which I really liked and used several times on my older pcs. Interest concept , good work :)

Actually puppy linux is similar to what you do, in the sense that it uses its own programming language , genie

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM, mikefilonov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, the idea of PharoNOS is to have the Smalltalk-only environment with as
little external stuff as possible.

Current PharoNOS implementation based on TinyCore Linux - the smallest Linux
distro - in order to have the smallest possible system footprint.

>Why not just download a small linux distro and install Pharo ?

Well, basically this what PharoNOS is :)

Re: PharoNOS

Pavel Krivanek-3
Here's the image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSsmZhqtUTeaURYRnA0eHgycXM/view?usp=sharing

> do you plan to develop it as a plugin? When I played with TinyCore
> Linux and Pharo (using framebuffer), I directly applied required the
> plugins on the filesystem.
>
> -- Pavel

>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> tried to swap the image using the following procedure:
>>
>> 1. Run the following code to download latest Pharo 4.0
>>
>>     ZnClient new
>>        url: 'http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip';
>>        downloadTo: '/mnt/universe/pharo-image/latest.zip'.
>>     ZipArchive extractAllIn: '/mnt/universe/pharo-image/latest.zip'.
>>
>>    and extract to "/mnt/universe/pharo-image/"
>>
>> 2. Now I wanted to change /mnt/universe/image file name
>>    to point to the new image. Unfortunately I can not write or delete/recreate
>>    this file from Pharo's file browser.
>>
>> Can you provide the build script for the ISO also on GitHub?
>>
>> Thx
>> T.

Re: PharoNOS

mikefilonov
I have updated the ISO

- Changed the disk setup - now it is more safe - it finds first disk without a partition table and use it for persistance. If no such disk found ISO works from memory.
- Added PharoLaucher as a default Image
- Added sqlite3 driver (not test yet though)
- Made Pharo run by root user so all files are editable now

I was not able to fix AioPlugin as seems there is no compiled version for Linux.

Please check the new ISO out and share your feedback.

You may get the ISO here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7FTL05bnHyud2lCWHN0LUdTd1E&usp=sharing#list

"pharonos 2.iso"

PharoNOS

EuanM
What's the latest state-of-play?

I'm very interested in this to create a headless SPiLS   (Smalltalk raspberryPi LightTPD Seaside) appliance, to create an always-on, low-power drain server for very low volumes of data.

I want to manage it from my Chromebook or my PC.

To do this, I think all I'd need are for PharoNOS (or perhaps TinyPharo?) to support
   remote-ssh to the device
   the ability to mount cifs
   and
   TightVNC server
   (over the keyboard mouse and display drivers)

I'm happy to lend a hand in whatever way I can.
12