"Pharoism" package?

Frank Shearar-3
Hi,

I did some work yesterday [1] getting Coral (a scripting framework for
Pharo: http://www.squeaksource.com/Coral.html) working in Trunk. I
made a few adjustments to Coral itself, mailing Oscar Nierstrasz the
changes (what look to be getting Coral to work with the latest
Filesystem code, post-large-refactor), and had to add a few methods to
Squeak that Coral was expecting. Presumably these were methods renamed
by Pharo:

Character >> join:
String >> join:
Class >> addInstVarNamed:
MetaClass >> addInstVarNamed:
Class >> subclass:
SmalltalkImage >> vmFullPath
Symbol >> isBinary

My question's a bit broader: there are many more Pharo developers than
Squeak developers, it seems. They're doing lots of cool stuff. We can
easily port these cool things to Squeak (at least, at the moment). If
anyone else is doing this kind've thing, perhaps it's worthwhile
either adding these kinds of methods to Grease, or having a general
"Pharoisms" package.

It's not all one-way, of course: having things easily loadable into
Squeak means that Squeak hackers (like me) can more easily contribute
to interesting packages (like Coral) without having to keep track of
two communities. (Coral could, with some love, become a full REPL,
which is something I really want.)

frank

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6938114/a-smalltalk-implementation-with-the-perfect-feature-set/6948945#6948945

Re: "Pharoism" package?

Tobias Pape
+1

(+10
for The Grease way, that is.)

Best
        -tobias
Am 2011-08-05 um 19:09 schrieb casey.obrien.r:

> +1
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did some work yesterday [1] getting Coral (a scripting framework for
> Pharo: http://www.squeaksource.com/Coral.html) working in Trunk. I
> made a few adjustments to Coral itself, mailing Oscar Nierstrasz the
> changes (what look to be getting Coral to work with the latest
> Filesystem code, post-large-refactor), and had to add a few methods to
> Squeak that Coral was expecting. Presumably these were methods renamed
> by Pharo:
>
> Character >> join:
> String >> join:
> Class >> addInstVarNamed:
> MetaClass >> addInstVarNamed:
> Class >> subclass:
> SmalltalkImage >> vmFullPath
> Symbol >> isBinary
>
> My question's a bit broader: there are many more Pharo developers than
> Squeak developers, it seems. They're doing lots of cool stuff. We can
> easily port these cool things to Squeak (at least, at the moment). If
> anyone else is doing this kind've thing, perhaps it's worthwhile
> either adding these kinds of methods to Grease, or having a general
> "Pharoisms" package.
>
> It's not all one-way, of course: having things easily loadable into
> Squeak means that Squeak hackers (like me) can more easily contribute
> to interesting packages (like Coral) without having to keep track of
> two communities. (Coral could, with some love, become a full REPL,
> which is something I really want.)
>
> frank
>
> [1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6938114/a-smalltalk-implementation-with-the-perfect-feature-set/6948945#6948945
>

> --
> Casey Ransberger

Re: "Pharoism" package?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did some work yesterday [1] getting Coral (a scripting framework for
> Pharo: http://www.squeaksource.com/Coral.html) working in Trunk. I
> made a few adjustments to Coral itself, mailing Oscar Nierstrasz the
> changes (what look to be getting Coral to work with the latest
> Filesystem code, post-large-refactor), and had to add a few methods to
> Squeak that Coral was expecting. Presumably these were methods renamed
> by Pharo:
>
> Character >> join:
> String >> join:
> Class >> addInstVarNamed:
> MetaClass >> addInstVarNamed:
> Class >> subclass:
> SmalltalkImage >> vmFullPath
> Symbol >> isBinary

There's no #join: in Squeak, the rest seem to be just renamed methods.

> My question's a bit broader: there are many more Pharo developers than
> Squeak developers, it seems. They're doing lots of cool stuff. We can

I'd rather say that Pharo developers talk a lot more about what they do,
than Squeak developers.

> easily port these cool things to Squeak (at least, at the moment). If
> anyone else is doing this kind've thing, perhaps it's worthwhile
> either adding these kinds of methods to Grease, or having a general
> "Pharoisms" package.

I vote for the general package.

Levente

On 8 August 2011 00:15, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did some work yesterday [1] getting Coral (a scripting framework for
>> Pharo: http://www.squeaksource.com/Coral.html) working in Trunk. I
>> made a few adjustments to Coral itself, mailing Oscar Nierstrasz the
>> changes (what look to be getting Coral to work with the latest
>> Filesystem code, post-large-refactor), and had to add a few methods to
>> Squeak that Coral was expecting. Presumably these were methods renamed
>> by Pharo:
>>
>> Character >> join:
>> String >> join:
>> Class >> addInstVarNamed:
>> MetaClass >> addInstVarNamed:
>> Class >> subclass:
>> SmalltalkImage >> vmFullPath
>> Symbol >> isBinary
>
> There's no #join: in Squeak, the rest seem to be just renamed methods.

Indeed so: supplying the obvious delegations and behaviours got me a
green bar in the Coral test suite.

>> My question's a bit broader: there are many more Pharo developers than
>> Squeak developers, it seems. They're doing lots of cool stuff. We can
>
> I'd rather say that Pharo developers talk a lot more about what they do,
> than Squeak developers.
>
>> easily port these cool things to Squeak (at least, at the moment). If
>> anyone else is doing this kind've thing, perhaps it's worthwhile
>> either adding these kinds of methods to Grease, or having a general
>> "Pharoisms" package.
>
> I vote for the general package.

As a first stab, then, let's just rename what I have:

Installer ss project: 'CoralSqueak'; install: 'Coralsqueak'.

frank