Phexample integrated with Autotest and OB (was ConfigurationOfPhexample (was #assert:equals: feels backwards))

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Phexample integrated with Autotest and OB (was ConfigurationOfPhexample (was #assert:equals: feels backwards))

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
You can now have Phexample playing nicely with OB and Autotest...
* Autotest - I uploaded a new package (Autotest-Core-SeanDeNigris.5) that will pick up Phexample and any other framework that defines tests differently (it uses the class's #allTestSelectors method).
* OB - I uploaded a slice to the Pharo inbox that does the same for OB (SLICE-Issue-4449-Feature-OB-can-handle-arbitrarily-defined-test-selectors-SeanDeNigris.1).

All it took was removing some duplication in the system - TestCase, Autotest, and OB were all repeating the "what is a test method" logic.

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Phexample integrated with Autotest and OB (was ConfigurationOfPhexample (was #assert:equals: feels backwards))

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
All 952 Autotest, SUnit, OB, and Phexample tests pass.
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Phexample integrated with Autotest and OB (was ConfigurationOfPhexample (was #assert:equals: feels backwards))

laurent laffont
Too fast :) I've added some tests in  Autotest-Tests-Core-LaurentLaffont.3 for Autotest-Core-LaurentLaffont.4 and one does not pass

AutotestTestFinder>>testMethodsForMethodThatStartWithShouldReturnsIt
| lookupMethod foundMethods thisMethod |
lookupMethod := (self class>>#shouldBeFound).
foundMethods := (finder methodsFor: lookupMethod).

self assert: (foundMethods includes: lookupMethod).

I suppose you have patched TestCase class>>allTestSelectors  so it can find shouldXXX methods ?

Laurent.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
All 952 Autotest, SUnit, OB, and Phexample tests pass.

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Phexample-integrated-with-Autotest-and-OB-was-ConfigurationOfPhexample-was-assert-equals-feels-backw-tp3623325p3623328.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
laurent laffont wrote
I suppose you have patched TestCase class>>allTestSelectors  so it can find
shouldXXX methods ?
Nope, although anyone wanting #shouldXxx methods in TestCase could do that. Phexample overrides #allTestSelectors to return both testXxx and shouldXxx and does the work for us.

Using #allTestSelectors leaves the decision up to the library (so if people start wanting testThatItShouldXxx or whatever, it'll still work). The other advantage is that the behavior of OB, Autotest, and other testing tools will stay in sync with the behavior of the underlying SUnit system.

laurent laffont wrote
AutotestTestFinder>>testMethodsForMethodThatStartWithShouldReturnsIt
I think this behavior is now under the SUnit umbrella and doesn't have to be tested, no?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

laurent laffont wrote:
>
> I suppose you have patched TestCase class>>allTestSelectors  so it can
> find
> shouldXXX methods ?
>

Nope, although anyone wanting #shouldXxx methods in TestCase could do that.
Phexample overrides #allTestSelectors to return both testXxx and shouldXxx
and does the work for us.

Using #allTestSelectors leaves the decision up to the library (so if people
start wanting testThatItShouldXxx or whatever, it'll still work). The other
advantage is that the behavior of OB, Autotest, and other testing tools will
stay in sync with the behavior of the underlying SUnit system.

OK. I've updated ConfigurationOfAutotest.

laurent laffont wrote:
>
> AutotestTestFinder>>testMethodsForMethodThatStartWithShouldReturnsIt
>
I think this behavior is now under the SUnit umbrella and doesn't have to be
tested, no?

Agree.

Laurent

Sean

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Phexample-integrated-with-Autotest-and-OB-was-ConfigurationOfPhexample-was-assert-equals-feels-backw-tp3623325p3623440.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

niko.schwarz
In reply to this post by Sean P. DeNigris
Hi Sean!

Phexample doesn't duplicate the logic of what is a change method, it changes it. The rational is to allow the user to choose a speaking test name, that accurately describes the test:

shouldNicelyHandleNotifications

And the like.

Is this really in conflict with OB?

Niko

On 24.06.2011, at 21:01, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> You can now have Phexample playing nicely with OB and Autotest...
> * Autotest - I uploaded a new package (Autotest-Core-SeanDeNigris.5) that
> will pick up Phexample and any other framework that defines tests
> differently (it uses the class's #allTestSelectors method).
> * OB - I uploaded a slice to the Pharo inbox that does the same for OB
> (SLICE-Issue-4449-Feature-OB-can-handle-arbitrarily-defined-test-selectors-SeanDeNigris.1).
>
> All it took was removing some duplication in the system - TestCase,
> Autotest, and OB were all repeating the "what is a test method" logic.
>
> HTH,
> Sean
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Phexample-integrated-with-Autotest-and-OB-was-ConfigurationOfPhexample-was-assert-equals-feels-backw-tp3623325p3623325.html
> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>

--
http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz
twitter.com/nes1983
Tel: +41786126354

Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Niko Schwarz-2 wrote
Phexample doesn't duplicate the logic of what is a change method, it changes it. The rational is to allow the user to choose a speaking test name, that accurately describes the test:
Yes, quite nicely in fact! The issue was that the "testXxx" was hardcoded in OB and Autotest, so Phexample tests were not picked up by Autotest, and couldn't be run through OB (because "shouldXxx" was not recognized as test methods). The patch was to OB and Autotest, integrating Phexample into the tools.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean