Phexample official repository?

Frank Shearar-3
Hi,

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Phexample/Phexample says that the official
repository is on www.squeaksource.com, but contains more recent
commits than the SS one. And there's also
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/Phexample.

The PharoExtras repo _looks_ like it's _sort've_ a copy of the
Phexample/Phexample one. What's the real story here? Where do I submit
features/fixes?

frank

Re: Phexample official repository?

Camillo Bruni-3
I made a mistake and accidentally copied the project again.
So the official repository is: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Phexample/Phexample

On 2013-03-12, at 22:41, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Phexample/Phexample says that the official
> repository is on www.squeaksource.com, but contains more recent
> commits than the SS one. And there's also
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/Phexample.
>
> The PharoExtras repo _looks_ like it's _sort've_ a copy of the
> Phexample/Phexample one. What's the real story here? Where do I submit
> features/fixes?
>
> frank

Re: Phexample official repository?

Frank Shearar-3
Ah, cool. Would some kind soul update the various repositories to say
that Phexample/Phexample is the official repository?

frank

On 13 March 2013 09:19, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I made a mistake and accidentally copied the project again.
> So the official repository is: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Phexample/Phexample
>
> On 2013-03-12, at 22:41, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Phexample/Phexample says that the official
>> repository is on www.squeaksource.com, but contains more recent
>> commits than the SS one. And there's also
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~PharoExtras/Phexample.
>>
>> The PharoExtras repo _looks_ like it's _sort've_ a copy of the
>> Phexample/Phexample one. What's the real story here? Where do I submit
>> features/fixes?
>>
>> frank

Re: Phexample official repository?

Stefan Marr-3
Hi Frank:

On 13 Mar 2013, at 12:23, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Ah, cool. Would some kind soul update the various repositories to say
> that Phexample/Phexample is the official repository?

I changed it. (http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Phexample/Phexample)
Removed the top note and added at the bottom:

"""
Note: This is the official community-supported repository for Pharo and Squeak. The original Phexample project started on SqueakSource.
"""

Will look into the test and a couple of other issues tonight.

Best regards
Stefan

PS: I also added you to the contributors.

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

On 13 March 2013 14:25, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Frank:
>
> On 13 Mar 2013, at 12:23, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Ah, cool. Would some kind soul update the various repositories to say
>> that Phexample/Phexample is the official repository?
>
> I changed it. (http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Phexample/Phexample)
> Removed the top note and added at the bottom:
>
> """
> Note: This is the official community-supported repository for Pharo and Squeak. The original Phexample project started on SqueakSource.
> """
>
> Will look into the test and a couple of other issues tonight.
>
> Best regards
> Stefan
>
> PS: I also added you to the contributors.

Cool, thanks Stefan. I only found out about the confusion of
repositories after I sent you Phexample-fbs.64 - did it pass all tests
on Pharo 1.4? If so, and you're OK with the change, I'll rebase my
work off the latest version and resubmit. I'll also edit the
ConfigurationOf to add a #squeak section.

frank

On 13 Mar 2013, at 15:38, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Cool, thanks Stefan. I only found out about the confusion of
> repositories after I sent you Phexample-fbs.64 - did it pass all tests
> on Pharo 1.4? If so, and you're OK with the change, I'll rebase my
> work off the latest version and resubmit. I'll also edit the
> ConfigurationOf to add a #squeak section.

I finally got around to solve the includesSub[sS]tring issue.
I also fixed the #isTest: on the class side of Phexample and use it.
All together with tests documenting the desired behavior.

I chose to use packages for the platform specific stuff:
 - PhexamplePlatform-Pharo14 (should also work with Squeak 4.4 and 4.5)
 - PhexamplePlatform-Pharo20

The tests do not completely run on Squeak 4.4, Frank, if you need that, please have a look.
I did not tests with Squeak 4.5.

On my machine, tests pass for Pharo 1.4  and Pharo 2.0

Camillo, you set up the Jenkins project?
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Phexample/

I tried to be patient, but it does not look like the build got triggered.
Is there anything I need to do other then publish in the code in: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Phexample/Phexample?

Thanks
Stefan

On 14 March 2013 13:22, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> On 13 Mar 2013, at 15:38, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Cool, thanks Stefan. I only found out about the confusion of
>> repositories after I sent you Phexample-fbs.64 - did it pass all tests
>> on Pharo 1.4? If so, and you're OK with the change, I'll rebase my
>> work off the latest version and resubmit. I'll also edit the
>> ConfigurationOf to add a #squeak section.
>
> I finally got around to solve the includesSub[sS]tring issue.
> I also fixed the #isTest: on the class side of Phexample and use it.
> All together with tests documenting the desired behavior.
>
> I chose to use packages for the platform specific stuff:
>  - PhexamplePlatform-Pharo14 (should also work with Squeak 4.4 and 4.5)
>  - PhexamplePlatform-Pharo20
>
> The tests do not completely run on Squeak 4.4, Frank, if you need that, please have a look.
> I did not tests with Squeak 4.5.

Sorry, I should have replied here too: I rebased my fix (loosening the
requirement on the error message) and pushed Phexample-fbs.69. It
works on Pharo 1.4 and Squeak 4.5 (so should also work on Pharo 2.0
and Squeak 4.4 but haven't verified either).

I'm trying to tweak the ConfigurationOf, but haven't managed to get
past some Metacello stuff. (I'm trying to actually read the docs on
specifying other projects before complaining about it!)

Once I have a ConfigurationOf working, I'll add CI jobs for Phexample
on Squeak 4.5. (I also need to set up CI jobs for running these on
4.4, but that's a more general problem.)

frank

On 14 Mar 2013, at 14:47, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Sorry, I should have replied here too: I rebased my fix (loosening the
> requirement on the error message) and pushed Phexample-fbs.69. It
> works on Pharo 1.4 and Squeak 4.5 (so should also work on Pharo 2.0
> and Squeak 4.4 but haven't verified either).

Just for clarification, that fix is included in the latest version.

> Once I have a ConfigurationOf working, I'll add CI jobs for Phexample
> on Squeak 4.5. (I also need to set up CI jobs for running these on
> 4.4, but that's a more general problem.)

Ok, thanks!

Best regards
Stefan

On 14 March 2013 13:53, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> On 14 Mar 2013, at 14:47, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I should have replied here too: I rebased my fix (loosening the
>> requirement on the error message) and pushed Phexample-fbs.69. It
>> works on Pharo 1.4 and Squeak 4.5 (so should also work on Pharo 2.0
>> and Squeak 4.4 but haven't verified either).
>
> Just for clarification, that fix is included in the latest version.
>
>> Once I have a ConfigurationOf working, I'll add CI jobs for Phexample
>> on Squeak 4.5. (I also need to set up CI jobs for running these on
>> 4.4, but that's a more general problem.)
>
> Ok, thanks!

OK, done. ConfigurationOfPhexample-fbs.7 loads cleanly in Pharo 1.4,
2.0 and Squeak 4.5. All tests are green. It's a bit sneaky in that
since Squeak doesn't ship with a regex library I've piggy-backed on
Pharo's. The sneaky part is that in the #squeak part of the spec I say
`spec package: 'Phexample' with: [spec requires: 'Regex-Core']` which
of course you don't need to do with Pharo.

(In fact, if you do that requires in the #common section the
configuration _breaks_ on Pharo 2.0. That might be because the
repository won't have any such package, because it's loaded in the
image? Although I thought that Metacello wouldn't attempt to load a
package in that case. Ah well, it works now.)

frank