Phobos and printing

HilaireFernandes
Hi Pavel,

Is there a way to ask a PhobosHTMLCanvas instance to print an html file.
I have html files built from Mustache templates and I try to send it to
the print dialog via Phobos.

So far I send an entire locale html file content via #rawXML: message,
but I got mix results, the style does not seem to be taken in consideration.

Thanks
Hilaire
--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Phobos and printing

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi Hilaire,

I will look at it. Are you interested to have Phobos for Pharo 6?
The main problem of Phobos is the stopped support of XULRunner by Mozilla without substitute so it's not good idea to use it for long-term projects.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Is there a way to ask a PhobosHTMLCanvas instance to print an html file.
I have html files built from Mustache templates and I try to send it to
the print dialog via Phobos.

So far I send an entire locale html file content via #rawXML: message,
but I got mix results, the style does not seem to be taken in consideration.

Thanks
Hilaire
--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Phobos and printing

HilaireFernandes
Hi Pavel,

I am in prospective mode exploring alternative for desktop application
vs SAAS application (in the later, the cost to maintain may be too high
for only one technical guy, me).

As I saw in the Phobos demo the Print feature, I just did a quick hack
to test print over a html document.

So xulrunner is abandonware? The new way to build UI in Firefox is
totally different I guess so then?.

Beside Phobos, there is no reliable and feature complete alternative to
build desktop application, is it that?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Phobos and printing

Pavel Krivanek-3
The XULRunner was stopped to be supported in 2015. It can still run now but without security patches, support of the new OS versions etc. Mozilla is constantly decreasing capabilities of Firefox hacking. It is pity because there is no comparable alternative.

Esteban is slowly working on GTK binding named Mars so you can ask on the current state of it. Esteban?

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Phobos and printing

HilaireFernandes
Thanks for the udpate.

GTK binding? Thanks but no thanks, it does not fit for pro desktop
application.

Hilaire

Le 30/01/2017 à 16:34, Pavel Krivanek a écrit :
> The XULRunner was stopped to be supported in 2015. It can still run now
> but without security patches, support of the new OS versions etc.
> Mozilla is constantly decreasing capabilities of Firefox hacking. It is
> pity because there is no comparable alternative.
>
> Esteban is slowly working on GTK binding named Mars so you can ask on
> the current state of it. Esteban?

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

kmo

Re: Phobos and printing

kmo
I think Phobos is really good. It would be great to have Pharo 6 version. It's a pity about XULRunner being abandoned but all is not lost. There is a fork of Firefox that is committed to keeping XULRunner support - Pale Moon - https://www.palemoon.org/

Ken

Pavel Krivanek-3 wrote
Hi Hilaire,

I will look at it. Are you interested to have Phobos for Pharo 6?
The main problem of Phobos is the stopped support of XULRunner by Mozilla
without substitute so it's not good idea to use it for long-term projects.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Phobos and printing

HilaireFernandes
Hi Ken,
Did you have former experience using Phobos for real desktop application?
Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Phobos and printing

HilaireFernandes
I mean no offense to Esteban, I appreciate him well (he slept a couple
of days at my place :) but GTK looks so odd on Mac and OSX desktop, then
it is not that much well featured. There are richer alternative like
wxWidget or Qt.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Phobos and printing

bestlem
There is Electron <http://electron.atom.io/> - although the GUI is
HTML/Javascript

Mark

--
Mark

kmo

Re: Phobos and printing

kmo
I'm afraid not. But I did start experimenting with Phobos and thought it was a very capable framework. Then I was put off a bit when it stopped being compatible with later versions of pharo.

Ken

HilaireFernandes wrote
Hi Ken,
Did you have former experience using Phobos for real desktop application?
Hilaire

Re: Phobos and printing

Pavel Krivanek-3
So I tried to run Phobos on Pharo 6 and it is able to run fine with the old Json package. It only needed two simple patches. To convert Phobos to NeoJSON will require some extra effort. In next days I will put the code on the Git repository.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

I'm afraid not. But I did start experimenting with Phobos and thought it was
a very capable framework. Then I was put off a bit when it stopped being
compatible with later versions of pharo.

Ken

HilaireFernandes wrote
> Hi Ken,
> Did you have former experience using Phobos for real desktop application?
> Hilaire

kmo

Re: Phobos and printing

kmo