PhyloclassTalk Demo Video

hernanmd

I want to share with you a video I did just yesterday (no audio yet) of the PhyloclassTalk application:

https://youtu.be/1iPbDHbjbLU

As some of you may know, I work in a research institute, so the workflow is very specific to phylogeography and bioinformatics. But I hope you may find it useful as a showcase for Pharo, or to grab some ideas. It took some years to get here.

It also uses code many of you wrote, so you can say Hi! if you recognize your source there :)

Here is the web site for documentation and details: http://phyloclasstalk.github.io/

I would love to read your recommendations, or comments.

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: PhyloclassTalk Demo Video

SergeStinckwich
Hi Hernán,

very impressive demo !

We are working on similar tools in the context of epidemiological modelling:
https://github.com/UMMISCO/kendrick

I see the nice table views.
Did you build something specific or reuse existing stuff ? Can you
edit tables from UI ?

Territories looks interesting. We might be interesting to use such
information for building spatial epidemiology simulation evolving many
countries. Looks at Ebola modelling we have done here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31543901/AgileVisualization/EpidemiologicalModels/0301-EpidemiologicalModels.html

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: PhyloclassTalk Demo Video

hernanmd
Hi Serge,

Hi Hernán,

very impressive demo !

Thanks!

We are working on similar tools in the context of epidemiological modelling:
https://github.com/UMMISCO/kendrick

I see the nice table views.
Did you build something specific or reuse existing stuff ? Can you
edit tables from UI ?

I built several support packages. From helpers like SpecUIAddOns and StringExtensions to a Query Builder and a Project Framework (the Project UI is based on the work of Peter Uhnak IIRC). The GenBank Browser could be generalized to a XML node editor.

For editing tables it was never a requirement for the app.

Territories looks interesting. We might be interesting to use such
information for building spatial epidemiology simulation evolving many
countries. Looks at Ebola modelling we have done here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31543901/AgileVisualization/EpidemiologicalModels/0301-EpidemiologicalModels.html

It looks really interesting!

For Territorial I am analyzing now what we could get from Bioregions. Integration of repositories is not so straightforward, so I plan also to finish my Code Generator to automate generation of classes and methods when importing CSV's and XML's, a good test case could be the Unicode's CLDR.
In PhyloclasTalk for most analysis we start always from the reported DNA sequences, for example if we would have to analyze Ebola we would start from here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/VirusVariation/Database/nph-select.cgi and then apply NER to curate the locations or other features of isolates. If you execute the query for Zaire ebolavirus, the PhyloclassTalk GenBank Browser could be adapted to load the CSV (which seems pretty curated) or accession list, and then use the Classifier directly.
I see you define routes in your code, good starting point to add the feature :)

Best regards,

Hernán

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: PhyloclassTalk Demo Video

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Serge,

>> Hi Hernán,
>>
>> very impressive demo !
>>

> Thanks!
>

>> We are working on similar tools in the context of epidemiological
>> modelling:
>> https://github.com/UMMISCO/kendrick
>>
>> I see the nice table views.
>> Did you build something specific or reuse existing stuff ? Can you
>> edit tables from UI ?
>

> I built several support packages. From helpers like SpecUIAddOns and
> StringExtensions to a Query Builder and a Project Framework (the Project UI
> is based on the work of Peter Uhnak IIRC). The GenBank Browser could be
> generalized to a XML node editor.
>
> For editing tables it was never a requirement for the app.

Ok I will have a look later.

>> Territories looks interesting. We might be interesting to use such
>> information for building spatial epidemiology simulation evolving many
>> countries. Looks at Ebola modelling we have done here:
>>
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31543901/AgileVisualization/EpidemiologicalModels/0301-EpidemiologicalModels.html
>>

> It looks really interesting!
>
> For Territorial I am analyzing now what we could get from Bioregions.
> Integration of repositories is not so straightforward, so I plan also to
> finish my Code Generator to automate generation of classes and methods when
> importing CSV's and XML's, a good test case could be the Unicode's CLDR.
> In PhyloclasTalk for most analysis we start always from the reported DNA
> sequences, for example if we would have to analyze Ebola we would start from
> here
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/VirusVariation/Database/nph-select.cgi
> and then apply NER to curate the locations or other features of isolates. If
> you execute the query for Zaire ebolavirus, the PhyloclassTalk GenBank
> Browser could be adapted to load the CSV (which seems pretty curated) or
> accession list, and then use the Classifier directly.
> I see you define routes in your code, good starting point to add the feature
> :)

Routes ? yes, because usually when you are doing an epidemiological
modeling, you want to know how the countries are connected and what
the rates of propagation between these countries. Some people are
using flights routes also (they are available freely on Internet).

We are not working at the level of virus DNA sequences, we are just
modelling propagation of diseases.
But integrating both would be amazing in the long term.

I think that Territorial is not MIT, all Kendrick code is MIT and I'm
bit reluctant to mix licences.
This is the only drawback for me at the moment.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: PhyloclassTalk Demo Video

abergel
Hi Hernán,

Impressive work!
Very cool demo! Object Profile will advertise your work

Alexandre

On Sep 29, 2016, at 2:38 AM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

I want to share with you a video I did just yesterday (no audio yet) of the PhyloclassTalk application:

https://youtu.be/1iPbDHbjbLU

As some of you may know, I work in a research institute, so the workflow is very specific to phylogeography and bioinformatics. But I hope you may find it useful as a showcase for Pharo, or to grab some ideas. It took some years to get here.

It also uses code many of you wrote, so you can say Hi! if you recognize your source there :)

Here is the web site for documentation and details: http://phyloclasstalk.github.io/

I would love to read your recommendations, or comments.

Cheers,

Hernán

Re: PhyloclassTalk Demo Video

stepharo
Hi hernan

it is really excellent. I suggest that you add a title and a end slide
with you name and email :)

so that people can contact you.

Stef

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Serge,

>> Hi Hernán,
>>
>> very impressive demo !
>>

> Thanks!
>

>> We are working on similar tools in the context of epidemiological
>> modelling:
>> https://github.com/UMMISCO/kendrick
>>
>> I see the nice table views.
>> Did you build something specific or reuse existing stuff ? Can you
>> edit tables from UI ?
>

> I built several support packages. From helpers like SpecUIAddOns and
> StringExtensions to a Query Builder and a Project Framework (the Project UI
> is based on the work of Peter Uhnak IIRC). The GenBank Browser could be
> generalized to a XML node editor.
>
> For editing tables it was never a requirement for the app.

Ok I will have a look later.

>> Territories looks interesting. We might be interesting to use such
>> information for building spatial epidemiology simulation evolving many
>> countries. Looks at Ebola modelling we have done here:
>>
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31543901/AgileVisualization/EpidemiologicalModels/0301-EpidemiologicalModels.html
>>

> It looks really interesting!
>
> For Territorial I am analyzing now what we could get from Bioregions.
> Integration of repositories is not so straightforward, so I plan also to
> finish my Code Generator to automate generation of classes and methods when
> importing CSV's and XML's, a good test case could be the Unicode's CLDR.
> In PhyloclasTalk for most analysis we start always from the reported DNA
> sequences, for example if we would have to analyze Ebola we would start from
> here
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/VirusVariation/Database/nph-select.cgi
> and then apply NER to curate the locations or other features of isolates. If
> you execute the query for Zaire ebolavirus, the PhyloclassTalk GenBank
> Browser could be adapted to load the CSV (which seems pretty curated) or
> accession list, and then use the Classifier directly.
> I see you define routes in your code, good starting point to add the feature
> :)

Routes ? yes, because usually when you are doing an epidemiological
modeling, you want to know how the countries are connected and what
the rates of propagation between these countries. Some people are
using flights routes also (they are available freely on Internet).

We are not working at the level of virus DNA sequences, we are just
modelling propagation of diseases.
But integrating both would be amazing in the long term.

I think that Territorial is not MIT, all Kendrick code is MIT and I'm
bit reluctant to mix licences.
This is the only drawback for me at the moment.

I changed the Territorial license to MIT some days after the announce: http://forum.world.st/ANN-Territorial-Re-Licensing-td4914705.html
Regards,

Hernán

Regards,

Just to mention: FastTable allows editing. It supports any morph inside cells

Re: PhyloclassTalk Demo Video

SergeStinckwich
Thank Denis. I'm a bit busy actually, but I will have a look.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: PhyloclassTalk Demo Video

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Serge,

>> > Thanks!

>> > I built several support packages. From helpers like SpecUIAddOns and
>> > StringExtensions to a Query Builder and a Project Framework (the Project
>> > UI
>> > is based on the work of Peter Uhnak IIRC). The GenBank Browser could be
>> > generalized to a XML node editor.
>> >
>> > For editing tables it was never a requirement for the app.
>>
>> Ok I will have a look later.

>> > It looks really interesting!
>> >
>> > For Territorial I am analyzing now what we could get from Bioregions.
>> > Integration of repositories is not so straightforward, so I plan also to
>> > finish my Code Generator to automate generation of classes and methods
>> > when
>> > importing CSV's and XML's, a good test case could be the Unicode's CLDR.
>> > In PhyloclasTalk for most analysis we start always from the reported DNA
>> > sequences, for example if we would have to analyze Ebola we would start
>> > from
>> > here
>> >
>> > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/VirusVariation/Database/nph-select.cgi
>> > and then apply NER to curate the locations or other features of
>> > isolates. If
>> > you execute the query for Zaire ebolavirus, the PhyloclassTalk GenBank
>> > Browser could be adapted to load the CSV (which seems pretty curated) or
>> > accession list, and then use the Classifier directly.
>> > I see you define routes in your code, good starting point to add the
>> > feature
>> > :)
>>
>> Routes ? yes, because usually when you are doing an epidemiological
>> modeling, you want to know how the countries are connected and what
>> the rates of propagation between these countries. Some people are
>> using flights routes also (they are available freely on Internet).
>>
>> We are not working at the level of virus DNA sequences, we are just
>> modelling propagation of diseases.
>> But integrating both would be amazing in the long term.
>>
>> I think that Territorial is not MIT, all Kendrick code is MIT and I'm
>> bit reluctant to mix licences.
>> This is the only drawback for me at the moment.
>>

> I changed the Territorial license to MIT some days after the announce:
> http://forum.world.st/ANN-Territorial-Re-Licensing-td4914705.html

Great Hernan !
Thank you. I will have a look when I found time :-)