Pier Book tool

Geert Claes
Administrator
Are there any plans to improve the pier book writing tool?

Pain-point areas:
- Images: list available images, replace existing image, easier insert image ...
- Navigation: next/previous page arrow icons in the header, show/hide entire TOC on the side
- Chapters: maybe some sort of drag-drop using the TOC?

Re: Pier Book tool

Lukas Renggli
> - Images: list available images, replace existing image, easier insert image

- For example: +value:book.figures|target=/book+

- Replacing existing images is possible by uploading a new image.

- Easier than what?

> - Navigation: next/previous page arrow icons in the header, show/hide entire
> TOC on the side

This is all doable by changing the template (environment) of your book.

> - Chapters: maybe some sort of drag-drop using the TOC?

If somebody implements this I would be happy to integrate.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier Book tool

Geert Claes
Administrator
Hi Lukas

Lukas Renggli wrote
> - Images: list available images, replace existing image, easier insert image

- For example: +value:book.figures|target=/book+
The Pharo collaborActive book does have this Table of Figures, but clicking on the image seems to take you to a page where the image is used.  How does one delete an image, edit the image title, find out the image name?

Lukas Renggli wrote
- Replacing existing images is possible by uploading a new image.
I tried that but it just seems to have added another image with the same title.  The page where I have used the image is still using the wrong image, how do I delete the old one and replace it?

Lukas Renggli wrote
- Easier than what?
Well, how about an Insert Image that allows you to select from the uploaded images and at the same time set some properties like % etc?

Lukas Renggli wrote
> - Navigation: next/previous page arrow icons in the header, show/hide entire
> TOC on the side

This is all doable by changing the template (environment) of your book.
I wouldn't know where to start :)  I mentioned it because I find the next and previous links very confusing.  The position of the next and previous is not always the same (depending on the length of the titles) and it doesn't show the heading level.  A simple Next/Previous without titles at the top would probably be more intuitive and a TOC gives a better view of where you are.

ps. The edit font on a windows machine is also very small (see attached screenshot).

Edit_font_on_windows.png

Re: Pier Book tool

Lukas Renggli
>> - For example: +value:book.figures|target=/book+
>
> The Pharo collaborActive book does have this Table of Figures, but clicking
> on the image seems to take you to a page where the image is used.  How does
> one delete an image, edit the image title, find out the image name?

That's what readers of the book would expect.

The toolbar icon above the edit area lists the embeddable items.

For the other questions see <http://www.piercms.com/doc> and maybe
also the guidelines we use for the Seaside book
<http://book.seaside.st/system/howto>.

>>> - Navigation: next/previous page arrow icons in the header, show/hide
>>> entire
>>> TOC on the side
>>
>> This is all doable by changing the template (environment) of your book.
>
> I wouldn't know where to start :)  I mentioned it because I find the next
> and previous links very confusing.  The position of the next and previous is
> not always the same (depending on the length of the titles) and it doesn't
> show the heading level.  A simple Next/Previous without titles at the top
> would probably be more intuitive and a TOC gives a better view of where you
> are.
>
> ps. The edit font on a windows machine is also very small (see attached
> screenshot).

Pier-Book doesn't enforce anything related to the design or
navigation, this is all how your particular instance is setup and what
styles you use.

Btw, you can also use the left and right arrow keys to navigate the book.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier Book tool

Geert Claes
Administrator
Lukas Renggli wrote
>> - For example: +value:book.figures|target=/book+
>
> The Pharo collaborActive book does have this Table of Figures, but clicking
> on the image seems to take you to a page where the image is used.  How does
> one delete an image, edit the image title, find out the image name?

That's what readers of the book would expect.

The toolbar icon above the edit area lists the embeddable items.
Listing the embeddable items would be good, how do you list the embeddable items?   The link or embed buttons above the edit area don't do anything?

Lukas Renggli wrote
For the other questions see <http://www.piercms.com/doc> and maybe
also the guidelines we use for the Seaside book
<http://book.seaside.st/system/howto>.
I can't seem to find where it says how to delete an image?

Re: Pier Book tool

Lukas Renggli
>> The toolbar icon above the edit area lists the embeddable items.
>
> Listing the embeddable items would be good, how do you list the embeddable
> items?   The link or embed buttons above the edit area don't do anything?

Any structure (page, figure, component, ...) is embeddable. I guess
that when you log-in you get some kind of a navigation tree that shows
the structure, no?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier Book tool

Geert Claes
Administrator
Lukas Renggli wrote
>> The toolbar icon above the edit area lists the embeddable items.
>
> Listing the embeddable items would be good, how do you list the embeddable
> items?   The link or embed buttons above the edit area don't do anything?

Any structure (page, figure, component, ...) is embeddable. I guess
that when you log-in you get some kind of a navigation tree that shows
the structure, no?
There the TOC, and the TOC has a Table of Figures showing the images and their title but no way to find out the name, which you need to embed the image no?  I would also like to remove images but I have no idea where I can do that.

Re: Pier Book tool

Lukas Renggli

>>> Listing the embeddable items would be good, how do you list the
>>> embeddable
>>> items?   The link or embed buttons above the edit area don't do anything?
>>
>> Any structure (page, figure, component, ...) is embeddable. I guess
>> that when you log-in you get some kind of a navigation tree that shows
>> the structure, no?
>
> There the TOC, and the TOC has a Table of Figures showing the images and
> their title but no way to find out the name, which you need to embed the
> image no?  I would also like to remove images but I have no idea where I can
> do that.

That has nothing to do with the TOC and TOF. There should be a tree
with the complete structure of the book after you login. Maybe you
don't see it because you don't have the access rights, I don't know.
Please ask your administrator.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier Book tool

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Indeed, the Sitemap was only accessible for admins. It was my mistake.
I fixed it. Now, when you are logged in as an editor, you should see
the tree in the footer, with the children of the current structure
expanded.

Cheers,
Doru

On 20 May 2010, at 13:44, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> Any structure (page, figure, component, ...) is embeddable. I guess
>>> that when you log-in you get some kind of a navigation tree that
>>> shows
>>> the structure, no?
>>
>> There the TOC, and the TOC has a Table of Figures showing the
>> images and
>> their title but no way to find out the name, which you need to
>> embed the
>> image no?  I would also like to remove images but I have no idea
>> where I can
>> do that.
>
> That has nothing to do with the TOC and TOF. There should be a tree
> with the complete structure of the book after you login. Maybe you
> don't see it because you don't have the access rights, I don't know.
> Please ask your administrator.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."