[Pier] PRMeta questions/clarifications - Is it transposable to MADescriptions ?

[Pier] PRMeta questions/clarifications - Is it transposable to MADescriptions ?

cedreek
Hi

The purpose or PRMeta is to add meta information to structure...
"additional fields to any structure (sort of a replacement of
Pier-Form)" .
Is it this kind of extension that could help resize picture for
instance (we add 2 Number that describe height and weight).
I don't see really well how to use them. Can you provide me a simple example ?

What is the way to use these meta variables in computation ?

Also, would PRMeta extensions to PRStructure could be added to MADescription ?

I want to make a description wich is basically a single option
description, except that I'd like to extend the description with a
symetric matrix that held comparison similarity numbers. For instance,
let's consider an attribute weatherCondition, it's options are:
(excellent, good, bad, extreme).

Let say, I have the following comparison matrix for the attribute
weatherCondition:

                excellent    good     bad     extreme
excellent        1            0.8      0.1           0
good                              1      0.2           0
bad                                         1            0.7
extreme                                                 1

so that:  similarityBetween: 'good' and: 'bad'   returns 0.2

I'd like to attach this matrix to the description, and was thinkink an
extension like meta could do it. It will allow me to edit the
similarity matrix too (sort of edit meta like in pier).

If you see any obvious alternative to do what I want, please tell me,
but I find this could be nicey done with Magritte.

Thanks

Cédrick

Re: [Pier] PRMeta questions/clarifications - Is it transposable to MADescriptions ?

Lukas Renggli-2
> I don't see really well how to use them. Can you provide me a simple
> example ?

I made it for a Magritte demo. It would certainly require some more
work to be really useable.

> What is the way to use these meta variables in computation ?

There is none.

> Also, would PRMeta extensions to PRStructure could be added to
> MADescription ?

Yes, that could be made.

> If you see any obvious alternative to do what I want, please tell me,
> but I find this could be nicey done with Magritte.

What about adding two MASingleOptionDescription to your structure and
then do the matrix lookup from Smalltalk code?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

2008/2/9, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> > I don't see really well how to use them. Can you provide me a simple
> > example ?
>
> I made it for a Magritte demo. It would certainly require some more
> work to be really useable.

oh ok :)
What kind of uses can be imaginated ?

> > Also, would PRMeta extensions to PRStructure could be added to
> > MADescription ?
>
> Yes, that could be made.

that makes me wonder why there are 2 separate classes like MAObject
and PRObject. They look the same to me. Is it for maintenance purpose
?

> What about adding two MASingleOptionDescription to your structure and
> then do the matrix lookup from Smalltalk code?

I'm not sure I get what you say.
My structure contains several attributes (like weatherConditions) ,
each of them having its own domain (like {good, bad, extreme}). Each
attribute has its own similarity matrix depending on the domain
values.

I have several persistant instances of my structure and I want to
compare a new one, to all the persistant ones. The lookup is smalltalk
code, but I'm more concerned on editing the model (options and
matrix). Do you think storing the similarity matrix in the description
is a good choice knowing I want to edit the attribute model (either
each options and therefore the mattrix, or only the values of the
matrix))

Thanks a lot Lukas

Re: [Pier] PRMeta questions/clarifications - Is it transposable to MADescriptions ?

Lukas Renggli-2
>>> Also, would PRMeta extensions to PRStructure could be added to
>>> MADescription ?
>>
>> Yes, that could be made.
>
> that makes me wonder why there are 2 separate classes like MAObject
> and PRObject. They look the same to me. Is it for maintenance purpose
> ?

MAObject has comparison built in.

PRObject has deep copying built in.

Otherwise they could be merged indeed. I guess this separation has
historical reasons only.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli