Pier SIXX export/import

John McKeon
Hello,

Over the weekend I put together a solution for http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=96 using SIXX to export/import Pier websites. It works well with the few simple sites I have available to test it with.
The mcz package is attached to the issue as I don't have commit rights to the Pier repository.

Any comments would be welcome.

Re: Pier SIXX export/import

Lukas Renggli
Very cool!

I've added you to the Magritte and Pier groups, would you mind
committing it there?

Lukas

On 12 October 2010 23:11, John McKeon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> Over the weekend I put together a solution
> for http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=96 using SIXX to
> export/import Pier websites. It works well with the few simple sites I have
> available to test it with.
> The mcz package is attached to the issue as I don't have commit rights to
> the Pier repository.
> Any comments would be welcome.
> John
>
> --
> http://john-mckeon.us

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier SIXX export/import

NorbertHartl

On 12.10.2010, at 23:11, John McKeon wrote:

Hello,

Over the weekend I put together a solution for http://code.google.com/p/pier/issues/detail?id=96 using SIXX to export/import Pier websites. It works well with the few simple sites I have available to test it with.
The mcz package is attached to the issue as I don't have commit rights to the Pier repository.

Any comments would be welcome.

Nice. So I was just way too slow :) I have an pier exporter nearly finished here in my image. I was just being slowed down with all the xml parser porting and encoding fixes. I had a look into the package but I'm not sure if I found the important stuff. Is it the PierSixxExporterImporter class or did I miss parts?
Can you elaborate what the side links to the pull parser have to do with your work?
I did a tool to export/import pier kernel in order to move them between pharo and gemstone. The xml parser is now the same on gemstone and pharo. I'm not sure if Sixx is the same. I changed Sixx on gemstone to do utf-8 as default encoding. I need to check this again. The version of sixx von Ken Treis does not fit that well into the current situation what is sad. It would be a good idea to extract the pull parser and to reintegrate it in the xml parser package.
What I did is to make the export import working on gemstone and pharo. The code for this is completely different on both platforms. And finally my approach is not to store a file but a directory. Inside this I generate a kernel.xml and a files directory. A visitor walks the kernel structure and copies all external file models into the directory. So you can move all resources in one stroke and have the import tool  read it in again.

Ok, to keep it a bit short. I could try to get the good parts from my code (if there are any :) ) and integrate it in your package. And some discussions might be useful.

Norbert

Re: Pier SIXX export/import

John McKeon
I went the KISS route :)

Basically, I took all of the exporting/importing code out of the widget and moved into the PRExporterImporter class. Its two subclasses merely return the proper stream instances for their respective type of export (and the mime type and file extension).

The SIXX version I was using came from the SIXX website. XMLParser had to be brought current for its tests to run however (*I am using Squeak 4.1).  I loaded Ken Treis' XMLPullParser and his latest SIXX changes to test that it worked with that as well.

I haven't tried to import into a different dialect yet....

John