Pier and WAKom/Swazoo

Dale Henrichs
I am testing ConfigurationOfSeaside preparing for an imminent release
and one of the combos that I'm testing is:

   Seaside3.0
   Swazoo Adaptor
   Pier

and I've noticed that Pier has a number of direct references to the
WAKom class:

   PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupKom (WAKom is Undeclared)
   PRDistribution>>register (WAKom is Undeclared)
   PRDistribution>>register (WAKomEncoded is Undeclared)

I was wondering if these references were intentional or historical. I
can add explicit dependencies (or the code can be changed or the
packages refactored or ...)...For GemStone I had to do pretty major
surgery on the PRDistribution class because there is a lot of
Pharo-specific code there so it's worth thinking about GemStone if
there's more work done than just testing for the existence of the class ...

While I'm on the subject I noticed that PRLoader has a dependency on
OBSystemBrowserAdaptor, which basically means that all of OmniBrowser
needs to be loaded to bring in Pier-Setup ...

   PRLoader class>>setProperPreferences (OBSystemBrowserAdaptor is
Undeclared)

Now that we've created the 'Base' group for Seaside3.0 I suppose we'll
be seeing more of these kinds of dependencies revealed...

Dale

Re: Pier and WAKom/Swazoo

Lukas Renggli
> and I've noticed that Pier has a number of direct references to the WAKom
> class:
>
>  PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupKom (WAKom is Undeclared)

Ok, I fixed this in Pier-Pharo-Persistency-lr.9.

>  PRDistribution>>register (WAKom is Undeclared)
>  PRDistribution>>register (WAKomEncoded is Undeclared)
>
> I was wondering if these references were intentional or historical. I can
> add explicit dependencies (or the code can be changed or the packages
> refactored or ...)...For GemStone I had to do pretty major surgery on the
> PRDistribution class because there is a lot of Pharo-specific code there so
> it's worth thinking about GemStone if there's more work done than just
> testing for the existence of the class ...

I think these references are historical.

> While I'm on the subject I noticed that PRLoader has a dependency on
> OBSystemBrowserAdaptor, which basically means that all of OmniBrowser needs
> to be loaded to bring in Pier-Setup ...
>
>  PRLoader class>>setProperPreferences (OBSystemBrowserAdaptor is Undeclared)
>
> Now that we've created the 'Base' group for Seaside3.0 I suppose we'll be
> seeing more of these kinds of dependencies revealed...

The code in the Pier-Distribution package was made to build and
initialize the Pharo one-click images, I don't think that it was ment
to be portable to other platforms. Probably that should be fixed
though.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier and WAKom/Swazoo

Dale Henrichs
Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> and I've noticed that Pier has a number of direct references to the WAKom
>> class:
>>
>>  PRSegmentPersistency>>cleanupKom (WAKom is Undeclared)
>
> Ok, I fixed this in Pier-Pharo-Persistency-lr.9.

Great, I'll pick that up.

>>  PRDistribution>>register (WAKom is Undeclared)
>>  PRDistribution>>register (WAKomEncoded is Undeclared)
>>
>> I was wondering if these references were intentional or historical. I can
>> add explicit dependencies (or the code can be changed or the packages
>> refactored or ...)...For GemStone I had to do pretty major surgery on the
>> PRDistribution class because there is a lot of Pharo-specific code there so
>> it's worth thinking about GemStone if there's more work done than just
>> testing for the existence of the class ...
>
> I think these references are historical.
>
>> While I'm on the subject I noticed that PRLoader has a dependency on
>> OBSystemBrowserAdaptor, which basically means that all of OmniBrowser needs
>> to be loaded to bring in Pier-Setup ...
>>
>>  PRLoader class>>setProperPreferences (OBSystemBrowserAdaptor is Undeclared)
>>
>> Now that we've created the 'Base' group for Seaside3.0 I suppose we'll be
>> seeing more of these kinds of dependencies revealed...
>
> The code in the Pier-Distribution package was made to build and
> initialize the Pharo one-click images, I don't think that it was ment
> to be portable to other platforms. Probably that should be fixed
> though.

It turns out that the Pier-Distribution package is like 98% portable and
very useful since it defines the standard pier look and feel ... there
are just a few chunks that are platform specific.

Dale