Pier as (primarily) a Wiki

Mark Johnson
I am a long-time Swiki administrator and user, but I am looking for a new wiki. I have a fondness for Smalltalk, too...

I am a total newbie to Pier. I realize that Pier is much more than a wiki.

I am having a tough time getting a grip on the Pier documentation...

I would like to tweak a standard Pier installation so that it is a wiki  with user logon/authentication and attribution.

I don't need a blog or any of the other Pier features just yet. I would like to turn off the blog capability so as not to distract users.

Can I do this with Pier?

If not, is there another Squeak- or Pharo-based wiki with user authentication and attribution?

Pointers to a HOWTO or starting point in the Pier docs appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Pier as (primarily) a Wiki

Lukas Renggli
> Can I do this with Pier?

Definitely.

> Pointers to a HOWTO or starting point in the Pier docs appreciated.

The one-click image (http://www.piercms.com) is probably a good
starting point. It already has the authentication setup for you. You
just need to log-in, change the default username and password and add
a few more users. If you don't want the blog, you just delete that
page.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier as (primarily) a Wiki

Mark Johnson
Thanks, Lukas!

I already have the one-click up and running. After logging in as
admin/pier, if I click "Wiki", I get a plain text page that reads:

"This is the main page of the official Pier distribution. Before you
can modify this site, you have to login using: admin/pier.

If you are not satisfied with the current look, perhaps you want to
choose another one:

+/environment/designchooser+

Have fun,<br></br>
The Pier Team"

I *was* able to remove Blog from environment/menu.

I am happy to "RTFM" about enabling a Wiki but I'm not sure where to
begin reading.

Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Can I do this with Pier?
>
> Definitely.
>
>> Pointers to a HOWTO or starting point in the Pier docs appreciated.
>
> The one-click image (http://www.piercms.com) is probably a good
> starting point. It already has the authentication setup for you. You
> just need to log-in, change the default username and password and add
> a few more users. If you don't want the blog, you just delete that
> page.
>
> If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier as (primarily) a Wiki

Tudor Girba
Hi Mark,

You already are in a wiki :).

I believe what you want is to setup the "template" (called environment
in Pier) to put the commands to edit or login more prominently. You
can get some answers on the faq page. In particular:
http://www.piercms.com/doc/faq#45138032

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 Jan 2010, at 19:49, Mark Johnson wrote:

> Thanks, Lukas!
>
> I already have the one-click up and running. After logging in as
> admin/pier, if I click "Wiki", I get a plain text page that reads:
>
> "This is the main page of the official Pier distribution. Before you
> can modify this site, you have to login using: admin/pier.
>
> If you are not satisfied with the current look, perhaps you want to
> choose another one:
>
> +/environment/designchooser+
>
> Have fun,<br></br>
> The Pier Team"
>
> I *was* able to remove Blog from environment/menu.
>
> I am happy to "RTFM" about enabling a Wiki but I'm not sure where to
> begin reading.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>> Can I do this with Pier?
>>
>> Definitely.
>>
>>> Pointers to a HOWTO or starting point in the Pier docs appreciated.
>>
>> The one-click image (http://www.piercms.com) is probably a good
>> starting point. It already has the authentication setup for you. You
>> just need to log-in, change the default username and password and add
>> a few more users. If you don't want the blog, you just delete that
>> page.
>>
>> If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"Relationships are of two kinds: those we choose and those that
happen. They both matter."