Pier permissions

Nick
Hi,

I can understand how the current implementation of Pier security could work well in the case of a set of users each with their own sub-tree - a little like Unix's '/home/user1' '/home/user2' etc, where users can control the commands allowed to be executed on their sub-trees.
However I'm looking for a more capability model, for example:
* does the user have permission to see this view in wiki mode?
* does the user have permission to create verbatim html?
* does the user have permission to create value links?
* etc

Is there a sensible way to map this onto the current security implementation? I've currently mapped it with code like:
editorConfiguration allowWikiTextEditing: ((self context command: PRWikiTextEditingCommand new)  isValid).

This works however the owner/group/other structure permissions mapping seems too coarse grained. I'd like to be able to have groups relating to these permissions then add groups to users, depending upon the permissions I'd like to assign to them. Am I looking at this in the wrong way? Is there a mechanism to support a capability model?

Cheers

Nick

Re: Pier permissions

Lukas Renggli
Philippe implemented a capabilities (ACL) based security model. It
worked very well, but IMHO  was too complicated to setup properly and
use (due to the complete freedom).

Security is currently based on commands, something like create value
links or edit verbatim text does not really fit into that model. What
you could easily do however is to create a restricted edit command
that doesn't allow to edit these elements. This would follow the
pattern of 'edit page' and 'settings page' (earlier on everything was
in 'edit page').

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier permissions

Nick
Hi,

Philippe implemented a capabilities (ACL) based security model.

Can you point me at the implementation?

Thanks

Nick

Re: Pier permissions

Lukas Renggli
Search on SqueakSource for "Pier ACL" and look for mails in the
mailing list archive (likely dating back to 2006 or more).

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pier permissions

Nick
OK I found: http://www.squeaksource.com/adl which redirected me to:

which Google translate tell me is "spoilsport" ... hmmm
anyway it looks promising

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch