Pier questions [Part 2]

Andres Fortier-2
Hi list,
            I'm back, trying to configure Pier. The first step I need
to achieve is having a blog running but with comments disabled. While
doing so, some questions appeared:

1. It seems that the "Add" button has different meanings depending on
the current selected page (environment? I still don't know exactly
what this is in the Pier case). So, you can use it for adding a page
in the main environment but only to add a post in the blog
environment. Is this correct? Is it supposed to work in this way?

2. If the first is correct, is there a simple way to change the link
caption, so that when the user is in the blog page the link states
"Add Post" instead of "Add". I don't think that the previous approach
is intuitive.

3. Is there a simple way to avoid leaving comments in blog posts?

4. Is there a way to configure the contents of the left sidebar.

thanks for your help.

--
Best Regards,
                      Andrés

Re: Pier questions [Part 2]

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

>            I'm back, trying to configure Pier.

Good to have you back :).

> The first step I need
> to achieve is having a blog running but with comments disabled. While
> doing so, some questions appeared:
>
> 1. It seems that the "Add" button has different meanings depending on
> the current selected page (environment? I still don't know exactly
> what this is in the Pier case). So, you can use it for adding a page
> in the main environment but only to add a post in the blog
> environment. Is this correct? Is it supposed to work in this way?

Yes, it is correct.

Add is a command and commands apply to the current "Structure".
Examples of Structures are: Page, Blog, Post, Comment, Component,
File. Depending on the current Structure and on the rights of the user
you will be able to perform different commands.

Coming back to the Add command, this particular command allows you to
select what to add, and narrow down the options afterwards.

> 2. If the first is correct, is there a simple way to change the link
> caption, so that when the user is in the blog page the link states
> "Add Post" instead of "Add". I don't think that the previous approach
> is intuitive.

There actually is a debate here about this issue. Some think it's
better to have all Add commands under the same link, some think it's
better to have several links. I happen to be on the second camp, but
the current approach should work just fine.

> 3. Is there a simple way to avoid leaving comments in blog posts?

You can disable the comments by setting the Comment Timeout to be
00:00:00:00. You do that by going to the Blog, Edit and then set the
Comment Timeout.

> 4. Is there a way to configure the contents of the left sidebar.

This is where Environment comes into play :). The Environment is the
template, and those things on the right are embedded in the
Environment. You can access the Environment from any page via the Edit
Design command.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.tudorgirba.com/blog

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Pier questions [Part 2]

Andres Fortier-2
Hi Tudor, thanks for the response. Tomorrow I'll try based on your
information. BTW, I've seen your slides of ESUG and Stephane said that
there was a video of your presentation, but I couldn't find it. Do you
know if it is available?

Cheers,
              Andrés

Tudor Girba escribió:

> Hi,
>
>>            I'm back, trying to configure Pier.
>
> Good to have you back :).
>
>> The first step I need
>> to achieve is having a blog running but with comments disabled. While
>> doing so, some questions appeared:
>>
>> 1. It seems that the "Add" button has different meanings depending on
>> the current selected page (environment? I still don't know exactly
>> what this is in the Pier case). So, you can use it for adding a page
>> in the main environment but only to add a post in the blog
>> environment. Is this correct? Is it supposed to work in this way?
>
> Yes, it is correct.
>
> Add is a command and commands apply to the current "Structure".
> Examples of Structures are: Page, Blog, Post, Comment, Component,
> File. Depending on the current Structure and on the rights of the user
> you will be able to perform different commands.
>
> Coming back to the Add command, this particular command allows you to
> select what to add, and narrow down the options afterwards.
>
>> 2. If the first is correct, is there a simple way to change the link
>> caption, so that when the user is in the blog page the link states
>> "Add Post" instead of "Add". I don't think that the previous approach
>> is intuitive.
>
> There actually is a debate here about this issue. Some think it's
> better to have all Add commands under the same link, some think it's
> better to have several links. I happen to be on the second camp, but
> the current approach should work just fine.
>
>> 3. Is there a simple way to avoid leaving comments in blog posts?
>
> You can disable the comments by setting the Comment Timeout to be
> 00:00:00:00. You do that by going to the Blog, Edit and then set the
> Comment Timeout.
>
>> 4. Is there a way to configure the contents of the left sidebar.
>
> This is where Environment comes into play :). The Environment is the
> template, and those things on the right are embedded in the
> Environment. You can access the Environment from any page via the Edit
> Design command.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.tudorgirba.com/blog
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Pier questions [Part 2]

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

James Robertson recorded the video, but it is not yet available.

Cheers,
Doru

On Sep 16, 2008, at 1:51 AM, Andres Fortier wrote:

> Hi Tudor, thanks for the response. Tomorrow I'll try based on your
> information. BTW, I've seen your slides of ESUG and Stephane said that
> there was a video of your presentation, but I couldn't find it. Do you
> know if it is available?
>
> Cheers,
>              Andrés
>
> Tudor Girba escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>>>           I'm back, trying to configure Pier.
>>
>> Good to have you back :).
>>
>>> The first step I need
>>> to achieve is having a blog running but with comments disabled.
>>> While
>>> doing so, some questions appeared:
>>>
>>> 1. It seems that the "Add" button has different meanings depending
>>> on
>>> the current selected page (environment? I still don't know exactly
>>> what this is in the Pier case). So, you can use it for adding a page
>>> in the main environment but only to add a post in the blog
>>> environment. Is this correct? Is it supposed to work in this way?
>>
>> Yes, it is correct.
>>
>> Add is a command and commands apply to the current "Structure".
>> Examples of Structures are: Page, Blog, Post, Comment, Component,
>> File. Depending on the current Structure and on the rights of the
>> user
>> you will be able to perform different commands.
>>
>> Coming back to the Add command, this particular command allows you to
>> select what to add, and narrow down the options afterwards.
>>
>>> 2. If the first is correct, is there a simple way to change the link
>>> caption, so that when the user is in the blog page the link states
>>> "Add Post" instead of "Add". I don't think that the previous
>>> approach
>>> is intuitive.
>>
>> There actually is a debate here about this issue. Some think it's
>> better to have all Add commands under the same link, some think it's
>> better to have several links. I happen to be on the second camp, but
>> the current approach should work just fine.
>>
>>> 3. Is there a simple way to avoid leaving comments in blog posts?
>>
>> You can disable the comments by setting the Comment Timeout to be
>> 00:00:00:00. You do that by going to the Blog, Edit and then set the
>> Comment Timeout.
>>
>>> 4. Is there a way to configure the contents of the left sidebar.
>>
>> This is where Environment comes into play :). The Environment is the
>> template, and those things on the right are embedded in the
>> Environment. You can access the Environment from any page via the
>> Edit
>> Design command.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.tudorgirba.com/blog
>>
>> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
>> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

www.tudorgirba.com
www.tudorgirba.com/blog

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."