[Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

[Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I installed Pillar through the catalog into Pharo 6.1, I assume.

I had a look into the Help browser to find some documentation or a
link to the documentation.

I did not find a menu entry in the world menu to open the tool.

How do I start using the tool?

--Hannes

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

CyrilFerlicot

On ven. 18 août 2017 at 19:44, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

I installed Pillar through the catalog into Pharo 6.1, I assume.

I had a look into the Help browser to find some documentation or a
link to the documentation.

I did not find a menu entry in the world menu to open the tool.

How do I start using the tool?

--Hannes

Hi,

I did not check if it is up to date but there is a tutorial here:

I hope this can help you to begin.

There is no tool actually to use Pillar, you write your files and then there is command lines to generate the output wanted.
--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Cyril for the link to the tutorial.

    https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

I see that Pillar is a command line tool. The welcome example taken
from this tutorial is:

    Pharo.exe Pillar.image pillar export --to=html
--outputFile=welcome welcome.pillar

How can I run a command like this from within Pharo in a "playground"
(former workspace)?

Later on I plan to construct a simple GUI with text boxes for Pillar
sources and have some buttons executing these commands.

--Hannes

On ven. 18 août 2017 at 21:43, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Cyril for the link to the tutorial.

    https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

I see that Pillar is a command line tool. The welcome example taken
from this tutorial is:

    Pharo.exe Pillar.image pillar export --to=html
--outputFile=welcome welcome.pillar

How can I run a command like this from within Pharo in a "playground"
(former workspace)?

Later on I plan to construct a simple GUI with text boxes for Pillar
sources and have some buttons executing these commands.

--Hannes

I remember writing a part "Pillar from Pharo" in this doc. I'm not sure it is still up to date but you can try to check part 7 of the doc I sent.
--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

Hannes Hirzel
Exactly.

Section 7 of
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

has an example

    | wiki |
    wiki := '!My Document'.
    PRPillarParser parse: wiki

Or

    PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'foo.pillar')
readStream

and then

    PRHTMLWriter write: document

This put together gives

    PRHTMLWriter write: (
        PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'welcome.pillar')
    )

If I inspect the result of this expression I get the HTML string.

Thank you Cyril. This is what I was looking for.

--Hannes

On 8/18/17, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On ven. 18 août 2017 at 21:43, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Cyril for the link to the tutorial.
>>

>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>
>> I see that Pillar is a command line tool. The welcome example taken
>> from this tutorial is:
>>
>>     Pharo.exe Pillar.image pillar export --to=html
>> --outputFile=welcome welcome.pillar
>>
>> How can I run a command like this from within Pharo in a "playground"
>> (former workspace)?
>>
>> Later on I plan to construct a simple GUI with text boxes for Pillar
>> sources and have some buttons executing these commands.
>>
>> --Hannes
>>

> I remember writing a part "Pillar from Pharo" in this doc. I'm not sure it
> is still up to date but you can try to check part 7 of the doc I sent.
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

CyrilFerlicot

On ven. 18 août 2017 at 22:09, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Exactly.

Section 7 of
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html

has an example

    | wiki |
    wiki := '!My Document'.
    PRPillarParser parse: wiki

Or

    PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'foo.pillar')
readStream

and then

    PRHTMLWriter write: document

This put together gives

    PRHTMLWriter write: (
        PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'welcome.pillar')
    )

If I inspect the result of this expression I get the HTML string.

Thank you Cyril. This is what I was looking for.

--Hannes

Happy to see it still works :)

I know there was work on Pillar after I wrote this. Maybe there is some functionalities that will need more than those simple examples. By I am not sure and I know that Stephane want to simplify it further.
--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yes we need input (but most importantly time). I will allocate time
because Pillar is important for me.

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Cyril Ferlicot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On ven. 18 août 2017 at 22:09, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> Section 7 of
>>
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>
>> has an example
>>

>>     | wiki |
>>     wiki := '!My Document'.
>>     PRPillarParser parse: wiki
>>

>> Or
>>
>>     PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'foo.pillar')
>> readStream
>>

>> and then
>>

>>     PRHTMLWriter write: document
>>

>> This put together gives
>>
>>     PRHTMLWriter write: (
>>         PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory /
>> 'welcome.pillar')
>>     )
>>

>> If I inspect the result of this expression I get the HTML string.
>>
>> Thank you Cyril. This is what I was looking for.
>>
>> --Hannes
>

> Happy to see it still works :)
>
> I know there was work on Pillar after I wrote this. Maybe there is some
> functionalities that will need more than those simple examples. By I am not
> sure and I know that Stephane want to simplify it further.
> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

Hannes Hirzel
Fine, thank you, Stephane.

I have Pillar now installed in 6.1. And a PetitParser version which
supports YAML, but in a different 6.1 image.

One issue is that I can have both in the same image -

1) Pillar loaded through the catalog
2) a good recent PetitParser version

See also my email to Tudor Girba this morning

--Hannes

On 8/22/17, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes we need input (but most importantly time). I will allocate time
> because Pillar is important for me.
>
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Cyril Ferlicot
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On ven. 18 août 2017 at 22:09, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> Section 7 of
>>>
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>>
>>> has an example
>>>

>>>     | wiki |
>>>     wiki := '!My Document'.
>>>     PRPillarParser parse: wiki
>>>

>>> Or
>>>
>>>     PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'foo.pillar')
>>> readStream
>>>

>>> and then
>>>

>>>     PRHTMLWriter write: document
>>>

>>> This put together gives
>>>
>>>     PRHTMLWriter write: (
>>>         PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory /
>>> 'welcome.pillar')
>>>     )
>>>

>>> If I inspect the result of this expression I get the HTML string.
>>>
>>> Thank you Cyril. This is what I was looking for.
>>>
>>> --Hannes
>>

>> Happy to see it still works :)
>>
>> I know there was work on Pillar after I wrote this. Maybe there is some
>> functionalities that will need more than those simple examples. By I am
>> not
>> sure and I know that Stephane want to simplify it further.
>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>
>> http://www.synectique.eu
>> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
>> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

Stephane Ducasse-3
In Pharo 60 (and not in Pharo 50) I extracted the command line logic
into a specific object so that we do not have to be bound to use the
command line. You can have a look in the CLI package.

This is good that there is Section 7 this in the doc. We started to
build a simple Morphic renderer for Pillar.
We should continue. If someone wants to have fun. This would be nice
to have see it coming to live.

On my todo: I also want to use mustache inside Pharo and not
generating files on the disk.

Stef

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:08 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Exactly.
>
> Section 7 of
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>
> has an example
>

>     | wiki |
>     wiki := '!My Document'.
>     PRPillarParser parse: wiki
>

> Or
>
>     PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'foo.pillar')
> readStream
>

> and then
>

>     PRHTMLWriter write: document
>

> This put together gives
>
>     PRHTMLWriter write: (
>         PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'welcome.pillar')
>     )
>

> If I inspect the result of this expression I get the HTML string.
>
> Thank you Cyril. This is what I was looking for.
>
> --Hannes
>

> On 8/18/17, Cyril Ferlicot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On ven. 18 août 2017 at 21:43, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Cyril for the link to the tutorial.
>>>

>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>>
>>> I see that Pillar is a command line tool. The welcome example taken
>>> from this tutorial is:
>>>
>>>     Pharo.exe Pillar.image pillar export --to=html
>>> --outputFile=welcome welcome.pillar
>>>
>>> How can I run a command like this from within Pharo in a "playground"
>>> (former workspace)?
>>>
>>> Later on I plan to construct a simple GUI with text boxes for Pillar
>>> sources and have some buttons executing these commands.
>>>
>>> --Hannes
>>>

>> I remember writing a part "Pillar from Pharo" in this doc. I'm not sure it
>> is still up to date but you can try to check part 7 of the doc I sent.
>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>
>> http://www.synectique.eu
>> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
>> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

NorbertHartl

> Am 24.08.2017 um 22:34 schrieb Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>
> In Pharo 60 (and not in Pharo 50) I extracted the command line logic
> into a specific object so that we do not have to be bound to use the
> command line. You can have a look in the CLI package.
>
> This is good that there is Section 7 this in the doc. We started to
> build a simple Morphic renderer for Pillar.
> We should continue. If someone wants to have fun. This would be nice
> to have see it coming to live.

A morphic renderer? Wouldn't it be fun to do one for bloc? I think we should slowly collect some tools that use bloc in order to get the tension making it the "default" thingie.

> On my todo: I also want to use mustache inside Pharo and not
> generating files on the disk.

That should be doable by deleting some code.

Norbert

> Stef
>
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:08 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Exactly.
>>
>> Section 7 of
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>
>> has an example
>>

>>    | wiki |
>>    wiki := '!My Document'.
>>    PRPillarParser parse: wiki
>>

>> Or
>>
>>    PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'foo.pillar')
>> readStream
>>

>> and then
>>

>>    PRHTMLWriter write: document
>>

>> This put together gives
>>
>>    PRHTMLWriter write: (
>>        PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'welcome.pillar')
>>    )
>>

>> If I inspect the result of this expression I get the HTML string.
>>
>> Thank you Cyril. This is what I was looking for.
>>
>> --Hannes

>>> I remember writing a part "Pillar from Pharo" in this doc. I'm not sure it
>>> is still up to date but you can try to check part 7 of the doc I sent.
>>> --
>>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>> https://ferlicot.fr
>>>
>>> http://www.synectique.eu
>>> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
>>> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Pillar] Installed the Pillar document preparation system into 6.1, how do I start using it?

Tudor Girba-2
On Aug 25, 2017, at 8:53 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Am 24.08.2017 um 22:34 schrieb Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> In Pharo 60 (and not in Pharo 50) I extracted the command line logic
>> into a specific object so that we do not have to be bound to use the
>> command line. You can have a look in the CLI package.
>>
>> This is good that there is Section 7 this in the doc. We started to
>> build a simple Morphic renderer for Pillar.
>> We should continue. If someone wants to have fun. This would be nice
>> to have see it coming to live.
>>
> A morphic renderer? Wouldn't it be fun to do one for bloc? I think we should slowly collect some tools that use bloc in order to get the tension making it the "default" thingie.

On its way :)

Doru

>> On my todo: I also want to use mustache inside Pharo and not
>> generating files on the disk.
>>
> That should be doable by deleting some code.
>
> Norbert
>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:08 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> Section 7 of
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/PillarChap/Pillar.html
>>>
>>> has an example
>>>

>>>   | wiki |
>>>   wiki := '!My Document'.
>>>   PRPillarParser parse: wiki
>>>

>>> Or
>>>
>>>   PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'foo.pillar')
>>> readStream
>>>

>>> and then
>>>

>>>   PRHTMLWriter write: document
>>>

>>> This put together gives
>>>
>>>   PRHTMLWriter write: (
>>>       PRPillarParser parse: (FileSystem workingDirectory / 'welcome.pillar')
>>>   )
>>>

>>> If I inspect the result of this expression I get the HTML string.
>>>
>>> Thank you Cyril. This is what I was looking for.
>>>
>>> --Hannes

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."