Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pillar and GT tools in Pharo4

Torsten Bergmann
Pillar config is updated and now available in config browser in Pharo 4:

- more classes are commented
 - new baseline 0.20-baseline with version 0.20 for Pharo 4.0
 - includes Pillar-Pharo-Tools package instead of (deprecated) Pillar-PharoInspector as EyeInspector is a thing of the past
   to now support GTInspector and GTSpotter with icons in Pharo 4
 - additionally I wanted to update to STON 0.10 but had to step back to 0.9 of STON
   until Sven makes the config available in SS3 and STHub

So if you are on Pharo 4 you can:

1. Load "Pillar" from Config browser
 2. Parse and inspect pillar document like this

(PRDocumentParser parse: '%This is a commented line
|C1|C2
|C3|C4

Some text

# list item 1
# list item 2
') inspect

The GT inspector allows you to browse the different formats like Pillar, HTML, Markdown, Text and LaTeX.
If you click on the lightbulb Spotter at the top right of the GT inspector a new spotter will open
allow you to search in the current document item.

You can use spotter to dive into the document structure.

Attached is a screenshot.

Bye
T.

pillarPharo4.png (167K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pillar and GT tools in Pharo4

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Torsten,

Great job.

Some feedback about the extensions:

- I saw that you figured out the new feature of searching with spotter from the inspector without any public announcement. Did you figure it out from the code of GT or by seeing an example? In any case, very nice :).

- use "composite pharoPlayground" only when you want syntax highlighting and code completion for Pharo code. Otherwise, use "composite text"

- in:
Gofer new 
smalltalkhubUser: 'Moose' project: 'GToolkit';
package: 'GT-InspectorExtensions-Pillar';
load
you get extensions for working with files. See here:

- it also includes a basic syntax highlighting in FileReference>>gtInspectorPillarIn:, and in Class>>gtInspectorPillarCommentIn:.

- now that the inspector and spotter are part of Pharo, we can move these extensions directly into Pillar.  The only problem is that this syntax highlighting is based on PetitParser, so we would have to add a dependency from Pillar to PetitParser. What do you think?

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 2:39 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pillar config is updated and now available in config browser in Pharo 4:

- more classes are commented
 - new baseline 0.20-baseline with version 0.20 for Pharo 4.0
 - includes Pillar-Pharo-Tools package instead of (deprecated) Pillar-PharoInspector as EyeInspector is a thing of the past
   to now support GTInspector and GTSpotter with icons in Pharo 4
 - additionally I wanted to update to STON 0.10 but had to step back to 0.9 of STON
   until Sven makes the config available in SS3 and STHub

So if you are on Pharo 4 you can:

1. Load "Pillar" from Config browser
 2. Parse and inspect pillar document like this

(PRDocumentParser parse: '%This is a commented line
|C1|C2
|C3|C4

Some text

# list item 1
# list item 2
') inspect

The GT inspector allows you to browse the different formats like Pillar, HTML, Markdown, Text and LaTeX.
If you click on the lightbulb Spotter at the top right of the GT inspector a new spotter will open
allow you to search in the current document item.

You can use spotter to dive into the document structure.

Attached is a screenshot.

Bye
T.

--

"Every thing has its own flow"
Reply | Threaded
|

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Doru,

>Great job.

Was very simple to do in one evening, thanks to GT tools. I like infrastructure that empowers us
and the only thing I can lament on so far is that "Workspace" menue still opens a "Playground"
and I do give not up the hope that you get convinced that this is confusing to people ;)

>Some feedback about the extensions:

>- I saw that you figured out the new feature of searching with spotter from the inspector without any public announcement. Did you figure >it out from the code of GT or by seeing an example? In any case, very nice :).

By accident. I first implemented an own Spotter model and a custom action in the inspector for PRDocumentItems to open it.
Then I've noticed there is another icon to click on in the inspector beside mine - and as id did the same (open Spotter)
I was able to remove a lot of code again.

Would have been nice to know earlier - but thats life when living on the latest Pharo 4 updates and getting things solved
quickly.

>- use "composite pharoPlayground" only when you want syntax highlighting and code completion for Pharo code. Otherwise, use
>"composite text"

Ahh, I see. It's fixed now

>you get extensions for working with files. See here:
>http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/writing-pillar-books-with-the-gtinspector

I've seen that, but it did not really work. When I load (in 4.0#40537) PetitParser from MetaRepoForPharo30 using config
browser, then the GT-InspectorExtensions-Pillar package and look by inspecting "FileSystem workingDirectory"  
onto a *.pillar file I can see the new tab "Pillar" - but it does not highlight the syntax.  

>- now that the inspector and spotter are part of Pharo, we can move these extensions directly into Pillar. 
>The only problem is that this syntax highlighting is based on PetitParser, so we would have to add a dependency from Pillar to >PetitParser. What do you think?

Would make sense - the dependency to PetitParse could be set for "Pillar-Pharo-Tools" so it is not loaded if one
does not use the tool extensions. No time to look into this, although it would be nice to get the syntax highlighting in
and it would be better to place this into Pillar itself instead of GT.

Please keep up the good work. Spotter already allows other nice things as easily building custom helpers for
developing or own applications. See the attached screenshot: I already use a custom spotter to combine development
commands, browse domain objects, Mongo collections - easily done with a few methods and pragmas.

Pharo is on the right track...

Bye
T.

hub.png (82K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 06 Mar 2015, at 09:21, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pharo is on the right track...

Yes, and it is very impressive what you did, but please guys, write/blog (more) about this, help others (me) understand how all this works and fits together. The goal is that everybody should be able to do this, but that will require massive evangelisation (again & again), on a moving target.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl

> Am 06.03.2015 um 09:40 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
>
>> On 06 Mar 2015, at 09:21, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Pharo is on the right track...
>
> Yes, and it is very impressive what you did, but please guys, write/blog (more) about this, help others (me) understand how all this works and fits together. The goal is that everybody should be able to do this, but that will require massive evangelisation (again & again), on a moving target.

+1 (yes, it's a reminder for me, too)

Norbert

Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In reply to this post by Torsten Bergmann
Torsten Bergmann wrote
the only thing I can lament on so far is that "Workspace" menue still opens a "Playground"
and I do give not up the hope that you get convinced that this is confusing to people ;)
I find it confusing on a visceral level even though I intellectually know the entire history and rationale!
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Torsten Bergmann wrote
we would have to add a dependency from Pillar to >PetitParser. What do you think?
Make sure you depend on 'Core'. The default loads the GUI tools which brings in a whole lot of extra dependencies.
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Yes, I know :)

Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Torsten Bergmann wrote
> we would have to add a dependency from Pillar to >PetitParser. What do you
> think?

Make sure you depend on 'Core'. The default loads the GUI tools which brings
in a whole lot of extra dependencies.

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pillar-and-GT-tools-in-Pharo4-tp4809850p4809982.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
In reply to this post by Sean P. DeNigris
There was a confusion at play. We never disagreed on having the menu item be named differently from the window. We only disagreed on what to rename:
- Torsten wanted to rename the window
- I wanted to rename the menu item

In the end, it was kind of agreed (not Torsten, though ;)) that the menu item will be renamed.

We certainly have to fix this before the release.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Torsten Bergmann wrote
> the only thing I can lament on so far is that "Workspace" menue still
> opens a "Playground"
> and I do give not up the hope that you get convinced that this is
> confusing to people ;)

I find it confusing on a visceral level even though I intellectually know
the entire history and rationale!

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pillar-and-GT-tools-in-Pharo4-tp4809850p4809976.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Damien Cassou
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba-2

On Mar 6, 2015 1:25 AM, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - now that the inspector and spotter are part of Pharo, we can move these extensions directly into Pillar.  The only problem is that this syntax highlighting is based on PetitParser, so we would have to add a dependency from Pillar to PetitParser. What do you think?

Please don't make pillar core depend on petitparser (except if main pillar parser is rewritten in petitparser :-)). I have no problem having petitparser as a dependency of pillar-pharo-tools though.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Ok. I will add a dependency from Pillar-Pharo-Tools to PetitParser core.

Actually, I would rather prefer to create a separate ConfigurationOfPillarTools that adds the Pillar-Pharo-Tools and the PetitParser dependency. What that be Ok?

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 11:45 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - now that the inspector and spotter are part of Pharo, we can move these extensions directly into Pillar.  The only problem is that this syntax highlighting is based on PetitParser, so we would have to add a dependency from Pillar to PetitParser. What do you think?

Please don't make pillar core depend on petitparser (except if main pillar parser is rewritten in petitparser :-)). I have no problem having petitparser as a dependency of pillar-pharo-tools though.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Torsten Bergmann
Why another config? We have groups in the config. So one can load the core or tools.

Bye
T.

Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>schrieb:

Actually, I would rather prefer to create a separate ConfigurationOfPillarTools that adds the Pillar-Pharo-Tools and the PetitParser dependency. What that be Ok?

Cheers,
Doru

--

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo
But I like the idea of doru to have separate configurations less complexity and mess to manage.

Le 7/3/15 12:59, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :
Why another config? We have groups in the config. So one can load the core or tools.

Bye
T.

Tudor Girba [hidden email]schrieb:

Cheers,
Doru

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Damien Cassou

On Mar 7, 2015 4:42 AM, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually, I would rather prefer to create a separate ConfigurationOfPillarTools that adds the Pillar-Pharo-Tools and the PetitParser dependency. What that be Ok?

Ok for me, do as you prefer. What is your rationale?

Reply | Threaded
|

Offray
Hi,

Seems pretty impressive. By the way, where did you get your pharo
background image and how can I change the default one with this one?

Cheers,

Offray

El 06/03/15 a las 03:21, Torsten Bergmann escribió:

> Hi Doru,
>
>> Great job.
>
> Was very simple to do in one evening, thanks to GT tools. I like infrastructure that empowers us
> and the only thing I can lament on so far is that "Workspace" menue still opens a "Playground"
> and I do give not up the hope that you get convinced that this is confusing to people ;)
>
>> Some feedback about the extensions:
>>
>> - I saw that you figured out the new feature of searching with spotter from the inspector without any public announcement. Did you figure >it out from the code of GT or by seeing an example? In any case, very nice :).
>
> By accident. I first implemented an own Spotter model and a custom action in the inspector for PRDocumentItems to open it.
> Then I've noticed there is another icon to click on in the inspector beside mine - and as id did the same (open Spotter)
> I was able to remove a lot of code again.
>
> Would have been nice to know earlier - but thats life when living on the latest Pharo 4 updates and getting things solved
> quickly.
>
>> - use "composite pharoPlayground" only when you want syntax highlighting and code completion for Pharo code. Otherwise, use
>> "composite text"
>
> Ahh, I see. It's fixed now
>
>> you get extensions for working with files. See here:
>> http://www.humane-assessment.com/blog/writing-pillar-books-with-the-gtinspector
>
> I've seen that, but it did not really work. When I load (in 4.0#40537) PetitParser from MetaRepoForPharo30 using config
> browser, then the GT-InspectorExtensions-Pillar package and look by inspecting "FileSystem workingDirectory"
> onto a *.pillar file I can see the new tab "Pillar" - but it does not highlight the syntax.
>
>> - now that the inspector and spotter are part of Pharo, we can move these extensions directly into Pillar.
>> The only problem is that this syntax highlighting is based on PetitParser, so we would have to add a dependency from Pillar to >PetitParser. What do you think?
>
> Would make sense - the dependency to PetitParse could be set for "Pillar-Pharo-Tools" so it is not loaded if one
> does not use the tool extensions. No time to look into this, although it would be nice to get the syntax highlighting in
> and it would be better to place this into Pillar itself instead of GT.
>
>
> Please keep up the good work. Spotter already allows other nice things as easily building custom helpers for
> developing or own applications. See the attached screenshot: I already use a custom spotter to combine development
> commands, browse domain objects, Mongo collections - easily done with a few methods and pragmas.
>
> Pharo is on the right track...
>
> Bye
> T.
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 07/03/15 10:42, Tudor Girba wrote:
> Ok. I will add a dependency from Pillar-Pharo-Tools to PetitParser core.
>
> Actually, I would rather prefer to create a separate
> ConfigurationOfPillarTools that adds the Pillar-Pharo-Tools and the
> PetitParser dependency. What that be Ok?

No that is not ok. We have groups for that.

Stephan

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stephan,

This looks like deja-vu :). Let's have the conversation on the other thread that deals specifically with the issue of fine grained configurations.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/03/15 10:42, Tudor Girba wrote:

Actually, I would rather prefer to create a separate
ConfigurationOfPillarTools that adds the Pillar-Pharo-Tools and the
PetitParser dependency. What that be Ok?

No that is not ok. We have groups for that.

Stephan

--