Pillar compile.sh

Ben Coman
Hi all,

./compile.sh can be passed a parameter to compile only a specific file
rather than the whole book.  Now I consider this probably only occurs
during development with a human executing the script (rather than some
CI process which will be processing the whole book) and I'm finding it
useful to automatically fire off a PDF Viewer on the generated file, as
per the line below tagged "ADDED".

if [[ $# -eq 1 ]]; then
     dir=$(dirname "$1") # e.g., Zinc
     pier_file=$(basename "$1") # e.g., Zinc.pier
     pillar_one "$1"
     produce_pdf "${dir}" "${pier_file}"
     open "${dir}"/"${pier_file}".pdf     # <----ADDED
else
     pillar_all
     compile_chapters
     compile_latex_book
fi

Is this something others would find useful? or can you see issues with
it?  Having this mod makes my working area dirty, and 'git clean' blows
it away - so I'd like to integrate something like it. Now the above
works for me on OSX, but for flexibility to deal with other platforms,
the "open" command could be replaced with an environment variable, and
do nothing if environment variable does not exist.

What do you think?

cheers -ben

Re: Pillar compile.sh

Nicolas Petton

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> ./compile.sh can be passed a parameter to compile only a specific file
> rather than the whole book.  Now I consider this probably only occurs
> during development with a human executing the script (rather than some
> CI process which will be processing the whole book) and I'm finding it
> useful to automatically fire off a PDF Viewer on the generated file, as
> per the line below tagged "ADDED".
>
> if [[ $# -eq 1 ]]; then
>      dir=$(dirname "$1") # e.g., Zinc
>      pier_file=$(basename "$1") # e.g., Zinc.pier
>      pillar_one "$1"
>      produce_pdf "${dir}" "${pier_file}"
>      open "${dir}"/"${pier_file}".pdf     # <----ADDED

The `open' tool is OSX-specific, isn't it?

Cheers,
Nico

> else
>      pillar_all
>      compile_chapters
>      compile_latex_book
> fi
>

> Is this something others would find useful? or can you see issues with
> it?  Having this mod makes my working area dirty, and 'git clean' blows
> it away - so I'd like to integrate something like it. Now the above
> works for me on OSX, but for flexibility to deal with other platforms,
> the "open" command could be replaced with an environment variable, and
> do nothing if environment variable does not exist.
>
> What do you think?
>
> cheers -ben

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [Pharo-users] Pillar compile.sh

Damien Cassou
I propose we don't change anything with respect to that :-). I think users can open the pdf viewer once manually and this viewer will see updated to the pdf file so you don't have to open the pdf again and again.

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> ./compile.sh can be passed a parameter to compile only a specific file
> rather than the whole book.  Now I consider this probably only occurs
> during development with a human executing the script (rather than some
> CI process which will be processing the whole book) and I'm finding it
> useful to automatically fire off a PDF Viewer on the generated file, as
> per the line below tagged "ADDED".
>
> if [[ $# -eq 1 ]]; then
>      dir=$(dirname "$1") # e.g., Zinc
>      pier_file=$(basename "$1") # e.g., Zinc.pier
>      pillar_one "$1"
>      produce_pdf "${dir}" "${pier_file}"
>      open "${dir}"/"${pier_file}".pdf     # <----ADDED

The `open' tool is OSX-specific, isn't it?

Cheers,
Nico

> else
>      pillar_all
>      compile_chapters
>      compile_latex_book
> fi
>

> Is this something others would find useful? or can you see issues with
> it?  Having this mod makes my working area dirty, and 'git clean' blows
> it away - so I'd like to integrate something like it. Now the above
> works for me on OSX, but for flexibility to deal with other platforms,
> the "open" command could be replaced with an environment variable, and
> do nothing if environment variable does not exist.
>
> What do you think?
>
> cheers -ben

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Damien Cassou wrote:
I propose we don't change anything with respect to that :-). I think users can open the pdf viewer once manually and this viewer will see updated to the pdf file so you don't have to open the pdf again and again.

Okay. I'll just copy it to mycompile.sh and leave the original untouched.
cheers -ben

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben Coman <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> ./compile.sh can be passed a parameter to compile only a specific file
> rather than the whole book.  Now I consider this probably only occurs
> during development with a human executing the script (rather than some
> CI process which will be processing the whole book) and I'm finding it
> useful to automatically fire off a PDF Viewer on the generated file, as
> per the line below tagged "ADDED".
>
> if [[ $# -eq 1 ]]; then
>      dir=$(dirname "$1") # e.g., Zinc
>      pier_file=$(basename "$1") # e.g., Zinc.pier
>      pillar_one "$1"
>      produce_pdf "${dir}" "${pier_file}"
>      open "${dir}"/"${pier_file}".pdf     # <----ADDED

The `open' tool is OSX-specific, isn't it?

Cheers,
Nico

> else
>      pillar_all
>      compile_chapters
>      compile_latex_book
> fi
>

> Is this something others would find useful? or can you see issues with
> it?  Having this mod makes my working area dirty, and 'git clean' blows
> it away - so I'd like to integrate something like it. Now the above
> works for me on OSX, but for flexibility to deal with other platforms,
> the "open" command could be replaced with an environment variable, and
> do nothing if environment variable does not exist.
>
> What do you think?
>
> cheers -ben

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr