Plat_Forms 2011

jtuchel

Just in case you haven't heard or read about this:

--- begin citation from http://www.plat-forms.org/platforms-announcement

"Plat_Forms" is a competition in which top-class teams of three programmers compete to implement the same requirements for a web-based system within two days, each team using a different technology platform (say, Java EE, .NET, PHP, Perl, Python or Ruby). The results will provide new insights into the real (rather than purported) pros, cons, and emergent properties of each platform. The evaluation will analyze many aspects of each solution, both external (usability, functionality, reliability, performance, etc.) and internal (structure, understandability, flexibility, etc.).

In just 2 days, the teams will implement as much of the requested functionality as they can and at the same time optimize the usefulness of the resulting system (functionality, usability, reliability, etc.), the understandability of the code, the modifiability of the system design, the efficiency and scalability.

The contest will be conducted on January, 18-19, 2011. At the end of the 2 days, the teams hand over their source code and a turnkey-runnable VMware configuration of their system.

--- end citation from http://www.plat-forms.org/platforms-announcement

Wouldn't such a contest be a nice place to show what Smalltalk and Seaside or AIDA can accomplish?

What if a study of Freie Universitaet Berlin officially stated that Smalltalk is very suitable for use in Web Applications?

All that's needed to participate is a team of 3 skilled Smalltalkers to show off what's possible in our language, who have time on January 18th and 19th to come to Nuernberg, Germany and do a great job. Another requirement would be that they can work 30 hrs in a row without sleep ;-)

For more details on the plat_forms competition and study visit:  http://www.plat-forms.org/

If I was asked if I think ESUG should be able to sponsor participants for the event (travel to Nuernberg, Hotel cost, etc., well, no hotel, because no time for sleep ;-) ), I'd answer YES. But I guess we are not in disagreement on this... ;-)

What does the rest of ESUG think? Any volunteers?

Joachim

Re: Plat_Forms 2011

jtuchel

I forgot to mention that a very well-known German IT magazine (iX) is one of the sponsors, so chances are quite good that there will be press coverage on the plat_forms contest...

Re: Plat_Forms 2011

stephane ducasse-2
I imagine well esug supporting people willing to play the game.
build a budget and ask.
Stef