Plat_Forms competition

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

http://www.plat-forms.org/

I wonder how Seaside would perform in such a setting.

Best,

Michael

Re: Plat_Forms competition

Ramiro Diaz Trepat
Unfortunately Smalltalk / Seaside is not in the list of allowed platforms.

>From de FAQ:
"We are aware that our list of platforms is not all-inclusive
(although we feel it does contain all of the major platforms). We need
to refrain from allowing arbitrary platforms into the contest, because
we are resource-constrained: We need to fit all of the people into one
big room (and so must limit the number of teams) and will spend a
significant amount of time into the evaluation of each individual
solution. On the other hand, we need three solutions for each platform
in order to allow for a reliable comparison of the platforms.

Thus, platform X, if it is not currently on the list, cannot
participate in Plat_Forms -- at least this time: We hope to repeat a
similar contest in the future. "

On 1/19/07, Michael Haupt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://www.plat-forms.org/
>
> I wonder how Seaside would perform in such a setting.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael

Re: Plat_Forms competition

Bert Freudenberg
... and you would have to find *three* Seaside teams, not just one.
This year, only Java, Perl, and PHP are present.

- Bert -

Am Jan 19, 2007 um 15:13  schrieb Ramiro Diaz Trepat:

> Unfortunately Smalltalk / Seaside is not in the list of allowed
> platforms.
>
>> From de FAQ:
> "We are aware that our list of platforms is not all-inclusive
> (although we feel it does contain all of the major platforms). We need
> to refrain from allowing arbitrary platforms into the contest, because
> we are resource-constrained: We need to fit all of the people into one
> big room (and so must limit the number of teams) and will spend a
> significant amount of time into the evaluation of each individual
> solution. On the other hand, we need three solutions for each platform
> in order to allow for a reliable comparison of the platforms.
>
> Thus, platform X, if it is not currently on the list, cannot
> participate in Plat_Forms -- at least this time: We hope to repeat a
> similar contest in the future. "
>

> On 1/19/07, Michael Haupt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> http://www.plat-forms.org/
>>
>> I wonder how Seaside would perform in such a setting.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Michael

Re: Plat_Forms competition

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

On 1/19/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... and you would have to find *three* Seaside teams, not just one.
> This year, only Java, Perl, and PHP are present.

I know. I was not actually suggesting to participate, given that all
respective deadlines have passed; my question was rather about
pinching the problem description once it's available, and then seeing
how well Seaside does. Sorry for being too unclear. :-)

The next contest seems to be in 2009. What about suggesting Seaside
for consideration?

Best,

Michael

Re: Plat_Forms competition

Jason Johnson-3
This "contest" is completely pointless this year. Perl, PHP and Java?
This should a 2001 contest, not 2007.

Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://www.plat-forms.org/
>
> I wonder how Seaside would perform in such a setting.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael

Image map tag

Carl Gundel
Hey we're trying to figure out the WAImageMapTag.  Is this a complete item?
It's not clear at all how to use it.  Do we need to flesh it out?

-Carl Gundel
http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: Image map tag

Philippe Marschall
2007/2/9, Carl Gundel <[hidden email]>:
> Hey we're trying to figure out the WAImageMapTag.  Is this a complete item?

What do you mean with complete item? Whether it works or it maps
directly to an html element or it or has room for improvement?

> It's not clear at all how to use it.

Have a look at the screenshoot application.

> Do we need to flesh it out?
Sorry, I don't understand.

Cheers
Philippe

> -Carl Gundel
> http://www.libertybasic.com

RE: Image map tag

Bany, Michel
> > Hey we're trying to figure out the WAImageMapTag.  Is this
> a complete item?
>
> What do you mean with complete item? Whether it works or it
> maps directly to an html element or it or has room for improvement?

I believe Carl would like WAImageMapTag to provide an api
as complete as WAImageTag's api, i.e. #altText:, #document:,
#mimeType:, #url:, #fileName:

Currently, the only way to supply an image to an WAImageMapTag
is to send #form: with a Form object.

> > It's not clear at all how to use it.
>
> Have a look at the screenshoot application.

Carl is using VW, there is no screenshot application in VW.

The #form: message cannot be used since VW does not have Form.

> > Do we need to flesh it out?

I agree with Carl that we should add the missing apis.
Maybe with an api like this

        (html imageMap)
                callback: [:pt | self clickAt: pt];
                title: '...';
                id: #id;
                image: [:image | ... ]

where image is an instance of WAImageTag

If no one else volunteers, I can take care.

Cheers,
Michel.

Re: Image map tag

Carl Gundel
Hi Michel,

I guess part of the problem is that I'm no expert to how image maps work,
nor am I quite comfortable customizing/extending Seaside, yet.  It seems
like the interesting parts would be:

-how to specify the image (or course)
-a way to add callbacks and tooltips, one for each rectangular or other
region

Maybe...

html imageMap
    url: aUrlString;
    addRectangle: rectA tooltip: 'do A action' callback: [ self aClicked ];
    addRectangle: rectB tooltip: 'do B action' callback: [ self bClicked ];
    addCircle: (Array with: x with: y with: size) tooltip: 'do circle
action' callback: [ self circleClicked ];
    etc.

This is how I imagine it could work.

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

2007/2/9, Bany, Michel <[hidden email]>:

> > > Hey we're trying to figure out the WAImageMapTag.  Is this
> > a complete item?
> >
> > What do you mean with complete item? Whether it works or it
> > maps directly to an html element or it or has room for improvement?
>
> I believe Carl would like WAImageMapTag to provide an api
> as complete as WAImageTag's api, i.e. #altText:, #document:,
> #mimeType:, #url:, #fileName:
>
> Currently, the only way to supply an image to an WAImageMapTag
> is to send #form: with a Form object.
>
> > > It's not clear at all how to use it.
> >
> > Have a look at the screenshoot application.
>
> Carl is using VW, there is no screenshot application in VW.
>
> The #form: message cannot be used since VW does not have Form.
>
> > > Do we need to flesh it out?
>
> I agree with Carl that we should add the missing apis.
> Maybe with an api like this
>
>         (html imageMap)
>                 callback: [:pt | self clickAt: pt];
>                 title: '...';
>                 id: #id;
>                 image: [:image | ... ]
>
> where image is an instance of WAImageTag
>
> If no one else volunteers, I can take care.

That's a cool idea. I just implemented this in Seaside2.7a1-pmm.168.
What about the name of the #image: selector, this that ok? What about
#withImage: or #imageIn: ?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Image map tag

Jason Johnson-3
Carl Gundel wrote:

> Hey we're trying to figure out the WAImageMapTag.  Is this a complete
> item? It's not clear at all how to use it.  Do we need to flesh it out?
>
> -Carl Gundel
> http://www.libertybasic.com

There is an example of it somewhere.  This probably isn't what you
think.  It is a seaside app that makes the whole image clickable, and
then after the link is followed it determines what part you clicked on
and dispatches based on that.  I am not aware of a regular HTML Image
map tag in the image and I wrote my own Pier component to build one.

Re: Image map tag

Philippe Marschall
2007/2/9, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]>:

> > > a complete item?
> > >
> > > What do you mean with complete item? Whether it works or it
> > > maps directly to an html element or it or has room for improvement?
> >
> > I believe Carl would like WAImageMapTag to provide an api
> > as complete as WAImageTag's api, i.e. #altText:, #document:,
> > #mimeType:, #url:, #fileName:
> >
> > Currently, the only way to supply an image to an WAImageMapTag
> > is to send #form: with a Form object.

> > > Have a look at the screenshoot application.
> >
> > Carl is using VW, there is no screenshot application in VW.
> >
> > The #form: message cannot be used since VW does not have Form.

> > I agree with Carl that we should add the missing apis.
> > Maybe with an api like this
> >
> >         (html imageMap)
> >                 callback: [:pt | self clickAt: pt];
> >                 title: '...';
> >                 id: #id;
> >                 image: [:image | ... ]
> >
> > where image is an instance of WAImageTag
> >
> > If no one else volunteers, I can take care.
>
> That's a cool idea. I just implemented this in Seaside2.7a1-pmm.168.
> What about the name of the #image: selector, this that ok? What about
> #withImage: or #imageIn: ?

After some discussion with Lukas I have come up with the following:

        html map
                id: #pictureMap;
                title: 'Click here';
                callback: [ :point | self click: point + self offset];
                with: [
                        html image
                                form: self form ]

This has the following advantages
- the full interface of WAAnchorTag und WAImageTag is available
- uses the familiar canvas api (with: [ html image) to create images
- less code

disadvantages:
- breaks old code (WAScreenshot is updated)

See Seaside2.7a1-pmm.169

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Image map tag

Carl Gundel
From: "Philippe Marschall" <[hidden email]>
> After some discussion with Lukas I have come up with the following:
>
> html map
> id: #pictureMap;
> title: 'Click here';
> callback: [ :point | self click: point + self offset];
> with: [
> html image
> form: self form ]

Oh, that's pretty cool.  How hard would it be then to use this with
SeasideAsynch or Scriptaculous to have an interactive image that changes in
place according to where you click on it?

-Carl Gundel
http://www.runbasic.com

Re: Image map tag

Michel Bany-3
Philippe Marschall a écrit :

> After some discussion with Lukas I have come up with the following:
>
>     html map
>         id: #pictureMap;
>         title: 'Click here';
>         callback: [ :point | self click: point + self offset];
>         with: [
>             html image
>                 form: self form ]
>

> This has the following advantages
> - the full interface of WAAnchorTag und WAImageTag is available
> - uses the familiar canvas api (with: [ html image) to create images
> - less code
>
> disadvantages:
> - breaks old code (WAScreenshot is updated)
As far as I could see image maps in xhtml come in two flavors.

In the first flavor, the image is enclosed in an anchor element and has
the ismap attribute.
The location of the mouse click is passed to the server via the anchor
callback.

In the second flavor, the image is not enclosed in an anchor and has the
usemap attribute.
The usemap attribute refers to a <map> element that encloses many <area>
elements.
Each of the area element defines a subset (rectangle, circle, polygon)
of the image
and a callback.

At the moment Seaside only offers support for the first flavor (ismap).
With the implementation suggested by Philippe and Lukas, the #map selector
would be create a confusion with the <map> xhtml element.

So for the first flavor (the image is a map) I suggest the api below

    (html imageMap)
        ... ;
        image: [:image | image ...];
        callback: [:aPoint | self clickedAt: aPoint]

For the second flavor (the image uses a map) we send #map: rather
than #callback:

    (html imageWithMap)
        ... ;
        image: [:image | image ....];
        map:
                [html area ...
                html area ...      ]

With some new api for the <area> tag
        html area
            callback: [self inform: 'Rectangular area 1'];
            shape: (Rectangle origin: 40@40 corner: 100@400);
            title: 'Rectangular area'.
and support for Rectangle, Circle and Polyline

See an experimental implementation for VW here
ftp://ftp.bany.fr/seaside/ImageMap.zip

HTH
Michel.