Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

EstebanLM
Hi,

I "backported" the 3.0 publish mechanism to Pharo 2.0.
I suppose the 2.0 Summer will be like this then :)

http://files.pharo.org/platform/

Cheers,
Esteban

Re: Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
I updated http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-2-0 to the "Portable" terminology, with an updated description, and put the platform versions at the top, as the first choice.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

EstebanLM
mmm... the problem is that the "platform" versions are not the release, are nightly builds (it lacks the welcome workspace).

Esteban

On Mar 28, 2013, at 12:59 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> EstebanLM wrote
>> I "backported" the 3.0 publish mechanism to Pharo 2.0.
>> http://files.pharo.org/platform/
>
> I updated http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-2-0 to the
> "Portable" terminology, with an updated description, and put the platform
> versions at the top, as the first choice.
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:06 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> mmm... the problem is that the "platform" versions are not the release, are nightly builds (it lacks the welcome workspace).

yes, we should take care… if it is for power users, it should not be on the website.
We need to take care that the idea was not to complicate everything but to simplify.

The whole how-we-distribute Pharo is work in Progress. It will change over the next Months.

We should control very much the officially released image, else all the work last monday was
for nothing.

        Marcus

> Esteban
>
> On Mar 28, 2013, at 12:59 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> EstebanLM wrote
>>> I "backported" the 3.0 publish mechanism to Pharo 2.0.
>>> http://files.pharo.org/platform/
>>
>> I updated http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download/release-2-0 to the
>> "Portable" terminology, with an updated description, and put the platform
>> versions at the top, as the first choice.
>>

>> -----
>> Cheers,
>> Sean

Re: Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
mmm... the problem is that the "platform" versions are not the release, are nightly builds (it lacks the welcome workspace).
Oops. Can we have save platform release versions somewhere? Since new users are having trouble with the one-click/portable version, I'd hate to lose the next year before we have something easy for them...
Cheers,
Sean

On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:12 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> EstebanLM wrote
>> mmm... the problem is that the "platform" versions are not the release,
>> are nightly builds (it lacks the welcome workspace).
>
> Oops. Can we have save platform release versions somewhere? Since new users
> are having trouble with the one-click/portable version, I'd hate to lose the
> next year before we have something easy for them…

Sorry… we are working already on too many things and there has to be a boundary
somewhere.

        Marcus

Re: Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
Sorry… we are working already on too many things and there has to be a boundary
somewhere.
I don't think this is the right place to draw it. I'm going to work now, but I'll do it later. I guess I could just take the nightly ones and manually stick in the release image, right?
Cheers,
Sean

On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:14 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:12 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> EstebanLM wrote
>>> mmm... the problem is that the "platform" versions are not the release,
>>> are nightly builds (it lacks the welcome workspace).
>>
>> Oops. Can we have save platform release versions somewhere? Since new users
>> are having trouble with the one-click/portable version, I'd hate to lose the
>> next year before we have something easy for them…
>>
> Sorry… we are working already on too many things and there has to be a boundary
> somewhere.

People don't realize just how much work was in the release last week…

We can do things, but we need to control what we do. Changing the relase
files one week after randomly where we are in the situation that the
build files are *not* yet the relased files (we are working on that, there is
a tracker entry…) is deadly.

Please let it like it is and we move *controlled* forward.

        Marcus

On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>> Sorry… we are working already on too many things and there has to be a
>> boundary
>> somewhere.
>
> I don't think this is the right place to draw it. I'm going to work now, but
> I'll do it later. I guess I could just take the nightly ones and manually
> stick in the release image, right?

Please… this now does *not* need to be done. Please. Please. Please…

(I am dead)

        Marcus

Re: Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
Please… this now does *not* need to be done. Please. Please. Please…
I totally understand that we're all exhausted. This is an investment in our future relaxation :) If the users need it, it needs to be done. The reason we have to do so much work is that the community is the size it is. If there is not an influx of new users, the situation will not change.
Cheers,
Sean

On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:19 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Marcus Denker-4 wrote
>>> Sorry… we are working already on too many things and there has to be a
>>> boundary
>>> somewhere.
>>
>> I don't think this is the right place to draw it. I'm going to work now, but
>> I'll do it later. I guess I could just take the nightly ones and manually
>> stick in the release image, right?
>
> Please… this now does *not* need to be done. Please. Please. Please…
>
> (I am dead)

-> the images are carefully hand prepared (yes, this is shitty, we will fix that eventually).
-> the files are served from gforge so that we count the downloads (politically important).
-> now the download and the "download 2.0" pages are out of sync.

The thing is that I have not Time and no Energy to work on this now.

The problem is that every change has as a result work to be done. We should be careful
to not waste our energy.

        Marcus

Re: Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
Please let it like it is and we move *controlled* forward.
Okay I removed the links to the platform files from the download page for now.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Platform and portable versions for Pharo 2.0 too

EstebanLM
Thanks Sean. I understand your motivation (and I agree with them), but well...
we need to adjust the process before make this kind of changes.
You wouldn't believe the amount of things that became affected with that small change :S

anyway, this will be backported to 2.0 in summer release (or perhaps before), we wont need to wait until next year :)

Esteban