PlatformInterface deprecations, jQuery completely out

PlatformInterface deprecations, jQuery completely out

Herby Vojčík
Hello!

Last changes in master include a few deprecations in
PlatformInterface / InterfacingObject:

BrowserInterface class is completely removed (just FYI, I hope no one
used it directly, as it was not meant to).

ajax: method deprecated in both PlatformInterface class and in
InterfacingObject instances. Either include 'Wrappers-JQuery' from
amber-contrib-jquery package, and then you can use `JQuery current ajax:
...`, or use any 3rd party library you wish, or you may get new XHR
instance directly by calling `PlatformInterface newXhr` (XHR has
polyfill for node, so even if it is pretty low-level, it may be used as
a cross-platform HTTP client API).

alert: / confirm: / prompt: / prompt:default: deprecated in
PlatformInterface class. Use `Terminal` instead, a new `Service`
subclass that is meant for UI interactions (InterfacingObject now
redirects to `Terminal`).

JQuery is now really removed and no part of Amber core depends on it -
commits are now done using XHR itself via `PlatformInterface newXhr`. As
a result, amber has no bower dependencies (IDEs and apps have).

Herby

Re: PlatformInterface deprecations, jQuery completely out

Manfred Kröhnert
Thanks Herby,

this is a great achievement.

Best,
Manfred

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hannes Hirzel
Excellent. The result of a long and diligent work involving many steps.

--Hannes

On 5/16/15, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Herby,
>
> this is a great achievement.
>
> Best,
> Manfred
>

> On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Last changes in master include a few deprecations in
>> PlatformInterface / InterfacingObject:
>>
>> BrowserInterface class is completely removed (just FYI, I hope no one
>> used
>> it directly, as it was not meant to).
>>
>> ajax: method deprecated in both PlatformInterface class and in
>> InterfacingObject instances. Either include 'Wrappers-JQuery' from
>> amber-contrib-jquery package, and then you can use `JQuery current ajax:
>> ...`, or use any 3rd party library you wish, or you may get new XHR
>> instance directly by calling `PlatformInterface newXhr` (XHR has polyfill
>> for node, so even if it is pretty low-level, it may be used as a
>> cross-platform HTTP client API).
>>
>> alert: / confirm: / prompt: / prompt:default: deprecated in
>> PlatformInterface class. Use `Terminal` instead, a new `Service` subclass
>> that is meant for UI interactions (InterfacingObject now redirects to
>> `Terminal`).
>>
>> JQuery is now really removed and no part of Amber core depends on it -
>> commits are now done using XHR itself via `PlatformInterface newXhr`. As
>> result, amber has no bower dependencies (IDEs and apps have).
>>
>> Herby

Re: PlatformInterface deprecations, jQuery completely out

Herby Vojčík
Well, thank you all for the nice words, just do not miss the second part, which I find important: if you used ajax: method yourself, fix your code with some alternative (more in wiki "List of deprecations").