Playground auto-save?

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

I have to admit it is working randomly in P7 with Dr.Geo. (19.06 rel)

Sometime script can be retrieved with the playpage button other time no:
executed script can not be retrieved.

Its behavior is not predictable and it is a problem for me and the kids
playing code.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Playground auto-save?

HilaireFernandes
Beside that, auto-save is a nice feature, but it needs to be predictable.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Playground auto-save?

Peter Uhnak
Hi Hilaire,

this is a known problem. I've been losing code to Playground for years. (e.g. using undo (ctrl+z) is a good way to lose code)

What helps a lot is to look into pharo-local/play-cache directory (you can open Spotter and type in "pharo-local" (without quotes)) which contains a log of probably 90% of playgrounds you executed.

There are still some conditions under which you can lose code even with play-cache (e.g. ctrl+z sometimes)... so good to keep that in mind.

Peter

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Playground auto-save?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
if you give the playground's tab a name, it will save it under that name in pharo-local/play-stash - which I found reasonably reliable.

> On 19 Jun 2019, at 15:38, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Hilaire,
>
> this is a known problem. I've been losing code to Playground for years. (e.g. using undo (ctrl+z) is a good way to lose code)
>
> What helps a lot is to look into pharo-local/play-cache directory (you can open Spotter and type in "pharo-local" (without quotes)) which contains a log of probably 90% of playgrounds you executed.
>
> There are still some conditions under which you can lose code even with play-cache (e.g. ctrl+z sometimes)... so good to keep that in mind.
>
> Peter
>
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 3:20 PM Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Beside that, auto-save is a nice feature, but it needs to be predictable.
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 18/06/2019 à 21:53, Hilaire a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have to admit it is working randomly in P7 with Dr.Geo. (19.06 rel)
> >
> > Sometime script can be retrieved with the playpage button other time no:
> > executed script can not be retrieved.
> >
> > Its behavior is not predictable and it is a problem for me and the kids
> > playing code.
> >
> > Hilaire
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Playground auto-save?

HilaireFernandes
Ok, good to know.

Looking fot pharo-local from Spotter does not produce meaningful results
within DrGeo (P7 based), screenshot attached. The folder
DrGeo/Contents/Resources/pharo-local/play-cache exists though

Thanks.

Le 19/06/2019 à 15:38, Peter Uhnak a écrit :
> this is a known problem. I've been losing code to Playground for
> years. (e.g. using undo (ctrl+z) is a good way to lose code)

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Capture du 2019-06-19 19-38-12.png (220K) Download Attachment

Re: Playground auto-save?

Esteban A. Maringolo
I still don't know why there is no explicit "save", to at least capture that state in the play-stash.
There is an explicit "publish" to the cloud, but no save.

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 2:34 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
if you give the playground's tab a name, it will save it under that name in pharo-local/play-stash - which I found reasonably reliable.

> On 19 Jun 2019, at 15:38, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Hilaire,
>
> this is a known problem. I've been losing code to Playground for years. (e.g. using undo (ctrl+z) is a good way to lose code)
>
> What helps a lot is to look into pharo-local/play-cache directory (you can open Spotter and type in "pharo-local" (without quotes)) which contains a log of probably 90% of playgrounds you executed.
>
> There are still some conditions under which you can lose code even with play-cache (e.g. ctrl+z sometimes)... so good to keep that in mind.
>
> Peter
>
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 3:20 PM Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Beside that, auto-save is a nice feature, but it needs to be predictable.
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 18/06/2019 à 21:53, Hilaire a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have to admit it is working randomly in P7 with Dr.Geo. (19.06 rel)
> >
> > Sometime script can be retrieved with the playpage button other time no:
> > executed script can not be retrieved.
> >
> > Its behavior is not predictable and it is a problem for me and the kids
> > playing code.
> >
> > Hilaire
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Playground auto-save?

HilaireFernandes

Indeed this is a feature I have observed. Not used with kids yet. At least they could save valuable examples or exercises with its numbers as name, related to their programming textbook.

Nevertheless you have to use spotter to retrieve the named document, then what happen when editing a named document. It is still unclear

See the attached screenshot, several named pages with the same name.

Hilaire

Le 19/06/2019 à 19:33, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
if you give the playground's tab a name, it will save it under that name in pharo-local/play-stash - which I found reasonably reliable.
--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Capture du 2019-06-19 19-59-25.png (159K) Download Attachment

Re: Playground auto-save?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

You may try to use Grafoscopio [1], so you can save several nested
and/or sequential playgrounds explicitly as a Grafoscopio notebook.

[1] https://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html

I'll be pretty interested in the feedback from you and your
kids/students and I'm working on improving the Grafoscopio DOM to
support a better user experience (selected and expanded nodes, warnings
on unsaved documents and so on).

Cheers,

Offray

On 18/06/19 2:53 p. m., Hilaire wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to admit it is working randomly in P7 with Dr.Geo. (19.06 rel)
>
> Sometime script can be retrieved with the playpage button other time no:
> executed script can not be retrieved.
>
> Its behavior is not predictable and it is a problem for me and the kids
> playing code.
>
> Hilaire

Re: Playground auto-save?

HilaireFernandes
Hi Offray,

Can I use it from DrGeo because this is what I need to do with my
students? If you can try out Grafoscopio+DrGeo I am all eyes opened (tip
to install on P7 [1])

The *elementary* needed feature: student write code as script, student
save code when necessary.

Nevertheless, It is not exactly possible on Pharo. Switching to
Workspace could be an option. It also come with its own usability issue
though. Kid do not forgive approximation, learn the hard way.

Hilaire

[1]
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/view/head:/src/INSTALL

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Playground auto-save?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Hilaire,

I imagine that you can use Grafoscopio from DrGeo, in the sense that you
can have both installed in the same image and use Grafoscopio to
organize and save playgrounds that have DrGeo code scripts made by your
students, that they save when necessary.

I tried to install DrGeo, but the installation script failed. This was
my (not working) procedure:

  - Create a new image from Pharo launcher called DrGeo.
  - Install bazaar.
  - Went to the root folder where the DrGeo image is located.
  - Ran `bzr branch lp:drgeo`
  - Ran http://ws.stfx.eu/1MWID38XGAO9
  - Got "Error: Instances of UndefinedObject are not indexable"

So you could test it by yourself by installing Grafoscopio in a working
copy of DrGeo and let me know who it works.

By the way, there is any form to install DrGeo without cloning the local
repository and using tonel from a local directory? Maybe something that
publish DrGeo repo also to SmalltalkHub while more DVCS are supported in
Iceberg?

Cheers,

Offray