Playground "remote publish" feedback from discord

Playground "remote publish" feedback from discord

Ben Coman
On discord a user provided some feedback...

when you post anything to ws.stfx.eu - e.g. here: http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY - the page says that I should use "ZnWorkspace openUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY'." to retrieve it. However, there is no class called "ZnWorkspace" in Pharo 6.1 so this should probably be updated.

"Remote publish" button is located fairly prominently in the top right corner of Pharo Playground window so Pharo beginners will probably see it fairly soon after they start experimenting and try clicking on it. The text should be updated so the instructions actually work.

Also the footer of the page says copyright is 2013, and it would look better to newcomers if the copyright date was more recent.

----------
cheers -ben

Re: Playground "remote publish" feedback from discord

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Ben,

> On 8 Dec 2018, at 17:19, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On discord a user provided some feedback...
>
> when you post anything to ws.stfx.eu - e.g. here: http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY - the page says that I should use "ZnWorkspace openUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY'." to retrieve it. However, there is no class called "ZnWorkspace" in Pharo 6.1 so this should probably be updated.
>
> "Remote publish" button is located fairly prominently in the top right corner of Pharo Playground window so Pharo beginners will probably see it fairly soon after they start experimenting and try clicking on it. The text should be updated so the instructions actually work.
>
> Also the footer of the page says copyright is 2013, and it would look better to newcomers if the copyright date was more recent.
>
> ----------
> cheers -ben

The 'Shared Smalltalk Workspaces' [http://ws.stfx.eu] service is indeed old (but has been working unattended for years). It was later hijacked (in a good way) by the Playground. It should indeed be upgraded a bit, I'll look into it but can't promise anything.

Do note that you can paste a SSW URL like http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY into Spotter to open it in a new Playground. A cool, but hidden feature. So technically there is no need for more.

You can also access a page with the following expression:

ZnClient new
  systemPolicy;
  beOneShot;
  accept: ZnMimeType textPlain;
  url: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY';
  get.

Maybe an additional menu item somewhere ?

Sven

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 at 00:56, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ben,

> On 8 Dec 2018, at 17:19, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On discord a user provided some feedback...
>
> when you post anything to ws.stfx.eu - e.g. here: http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY - the page says that I should use "ZnWorkspace openUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY'." to retrieve it. However, there is no class called "ZnWorkspace" in Pharo 6.1 so this should probably be updated.
>
> "Remote publish" button is located fairly prominently in the top right corner of Pharo Playground window so Pharo beginners will probably see it fairly soon after they start experimenting and try clicking on it. The text should be updated so the instructions actually work.
>
> Also the footer of the page says copyright is 2013, and it would look better to newcomers if the copyright date was more recent.
>
> ----------
> cheers -ben

The 'Shared Smalltalk Workspaces' [http://ws.stfx.eu] service is indeed old (but has been working unattended for years).

Quite impressive that.

It was later hijacked (in a good way) by the Playground. It should indeed be upgraded a bit, I'll look into it but can't promise anything.

Since its been incorporated as a standard feature, is it time for it to move domain to ws.pharo.org.
Maybe the Association/Consortium fund your time to assist with that?

Do note that you can paste a SSW URL like http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY into Spotter to open it in a new Playground. A cool, but hidden feature. So technically there is no need for more.

Nice, that worked well.

cheers -ben

You can also access a page with the following expression:

ZnClient new
  systemPolicy;
  beOneShot;
  accept: ZnMimeType textPlain;
  url: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/CJGVYTTQD3RY';
  get.

Maybe an additional menu item somewhere ?

Sven

Re: Playground "remote publish" feedback from discord

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 8 Dec 2018, at 17:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe an additional menu item somewhere ?

Or a little bit more API.

Right now with the standard GT infrastructure in Pharo 7 (and Pharo 6.1 also I guess), you can do

  GTPlayground openOn: (GTPlayPage loadFromPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U').

We could add one of the following

  GTPlayground loadFromPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "keeps the same selector"
  GTPlayground openPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "shorter, more in line with the opening action"
  GTPlayground openUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "the original on ZnWorkspace, shortest"

If we agree, I can change the default instructions on the web page as seen in a browser.

There is little point in wanting to keep the ZnWorkspace code, as it is no longer needed.

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 at 18:31, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2018, at 17:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe an additional menu item somewhere ?

Or a little bit more API.

Right now with the standard GT infrastructure in Pharo 7 (and Pharo 6.1 also I guess), you can do

  GTPlayground openOn: (GTPlayPage loadFromPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U').

We could add one of the following

  GTPlayground loadFromPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "keeps the same selector"
  GTPlayground openPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "shorter, more in line with the opening action"
  GTPlayground openUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "the original on ZnWorkspace, shortest"

The last is easiest to remember - composed of just two words rather than three or four..

If we agree, I can change the default instructions on the web page as seen in a browser.

There is little point in wanting to keep the ZnWorkspace code, as it is no longer needed.

okay.

cheers -ben

Re: Playground "remote publish" feedback from discord

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/2057
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/22750/Add-GTPlayground-class-openUrl

Note that this is actually more universal than the specific website/webservice we are currently using. It works for any web resource that is returning text/plain documents.

For example, try

  GTPlayground openUrl: 'http://zn.stfx.eu/zn/numbers.txt'.

(Apart from the fact that that server is currently down ;-)

> On 9 Dec 2018, at 13:13, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 at 18:31, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On 8 Dec 2018, at 17:55, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe an additional menu item somewhere ?
>
> Or a little bit more API.
>
> Right now with the standard GT infrastructure in Pharo 7 (and Pharo 6.1 also I guess), you can do
>
>   GTPlayground openOn: (GTPlayPage loadFromPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U').
>
> We could add one of the following
>
>   GTPlayground loadFromPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "keeps the same selector"
>   GTPlayground openPublishUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "shorter, more in line with the opening action"
>   GTPlayground openUrl: 'http://ws.stfx.eu/1WS4U'. "the original on ZnWorkspace, shortest"
>
> The last is easiest to remember - composed of just two words rather than three or four..
>

> If we agree, I can change the default instructions on the web page as seen in a browser.
>
> There is little point in wanting to keep the ZnWorkspace code, as it is no longer needed.
>
> okay.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: Playground "remote publish" feedback from discord

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Ben could you please OK the PR ?