Playing with Pharo 7

khinsen
Hi everyone,

after finishing the Pharo MOOC, I have started to play with a simple
project of my own, initially using Pharo 6.1. Since Pharo 7 seems to be
coming soon, I wanted to try it out, and that lead to a few practical
questions.

1) How do you move your personal environment to a new image? If I have
   to re-do my settings and re-load one by one the packages I use, I
   won't be trying out new images more than strictly necessary.

2) My test project lives on GitHub, so I fired up Iceberg under Pharo 7
   to load it. Works fine... but I cannot commit and push under Pharo
   7. Iceberg pretends that there are no changes. With Pharo 6.1, this
   works very well. Has the operation of Iceberg changed significantly?
   If so, what would be the best place to learn about this?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Cheers,
  Konrad.

Re: Playing with Pharo 7

Paul DeBruicker
For #1:

Set up a Metacello Baseline for your project and then you can automatically
load your packages and settings into as many images as you like.

https://github.com/Metacello/metacello

Not sure about #2

khinsen wrote

> Hi everyone,
>
> after finishing the Pharo MOOC, I have started to play with a simple
> project of my own, initially using Pharo 6.1. Since Pharo 7 seems to be
> coming soon, I wanted to try it out, and that lead to a few practical
> questions.
>
> 1) How do you move your personal environment to a new image? If I have
>    to re-do my settings and re-load one by one the packages I use, I
>    won't be trying out new images more than strictly necessary.
>
> 2) My test project lives on GitHub, so I fired up Iceberg under Pharo 7
>    to load it. Works fine... but I cannot commit and push under Pharo
>    7. Iceberg pretends that there are no changes. With Pharo 6.1, this
>    works very well. Has the operation of Iceberg changed significantly?
>    If so, what would be the best place to learn about this?
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
>   Konrad.

Re: Playing with Pharo 7

khinsen
Am 25.11.18 um 22:35 schrieb Paul DeBruicker:

> For #1:
>
> Set up a Metacello Baseline for your project and then you can automatically
> load your packages and settings into as many images as you like.
>
> https://github.com/Metacello/metacello

Thanks for the pointer! Unfortunately all the documentation there
assumes way more familiarity with Smalltalk than I have. And even a lot
of familiarity with Metacello itself, as the documentation only explains
the latest functionality.

The good news is that it refers to "Deep into Pharo", so I will download
that book and see if answers my questions.

Konrad.

Re: Playing with Pharo 7

CyrilFerlicot
Le 26/11/2018 à 16:57, Konrad Hinsen a écrit :

> Thanks for the pointer! Unfortunately all the documentation there
> assumes way more familiarity with Smalltalk than I have. And even a lot
> of familiarity with Metacello itself, as the documentation only explains
> the latest functionality.
>
> The good news is that it refers to "Deep into Pharo", so I will download
> that book and see if answers my questions.
>
> Konrad.

Hello,

There is also a recent guide here:
https://github.com/pharo-tips-and-tricks/pharo-tips-and-tricks/blob/master/General/Baselines.md

I don't know if it is more beginner friendly. Feedback is welcome.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Playing with Pharo 7

Steffen Märcker
Great!

Am .11.2018, 21:47 Uhr, schrieb Cyril Ferlicot D.
<[hidden email]>:

> Le 26/11/2018 à 16:57, Konrad Hinsen a écrit :
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer! Unfortunately all the documentation there
>> assumes way more familiarity with Smalltalk than I have. And even a lot
>> of familiarity with Metacello itself, as the documentation only explains
>> the latest functionality.
>>
>> The good news is that it refers to "Deep into Pharo", so I will download
>> that book and see if answers my questions.
>>
>> Konrad.
>>

> Hello,
>
> There is also a recent guide here:
> https://github.com/pharo-tips-and-tricks/pharo-tips-and-tricks/blob/master/General/Baselines.md
>
> I don't know if it is more beginner friendly. Feedback is welcome.

Re: Playing with Pharo 7

Vitor Medina Cruz
The documentation on the book has much more information than needed to use Metacello with Iceberg, it can confuse you more than help I am afraid, at least this happened to me. The guide provided by Cyril is what you want.

Livre de vírus. www.avg.com.

"Cyril Ferlicot D." <[hidden email]> writes:

> There is also a recent guide here:
> https://github.com/pharo-tips-and-tricks/pharo-tips-and-tricks/blob/master/General/Baselines.md
>
> I don't know if it is more beginner friendly. Feedback is welcome.

Yes, it's a lot better for beginners because it actually explains what
baselines are and which roles they play, in addition to giving examples.

Thanks,
  Konrad.

Re: Playing with Pharo 7

SergeStinckwich
Maybe some part should be merge with Baseline class comment ?
We had a look to the comment of this class recently and not that easy to understand what is Baseline.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Nov 2018, at 17:05, Konrad Hinsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "Cyril Ferlicot D." <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> There is also a recent guide here:
>> https://github.com/pharo-tips-and-tricks/pharo-tips-and-tricks/blob/master/General/Baselines.md
>>
>> I don't know if it is more beginner friendly. Feedback is welcome.
>
> Yes, it's a lot better for beginners because it actually explains what
> baselines are and which roles they play, in addition to giving examples.
>
> Thanks,
>  Konrad.

Re: Playing with Pharo 7

khinsen
On 26/11/2018 21:47, Cyril Ferlicot D. wrote:

> There is also a recent guide here:
> https://github.com/pharo-tips-and-tricks/pharo-tips-and-tricks/blob/master/General/Baselines.md
>
> I don't know if it is more beginner friendly. Feedback is welcome.

I did the ultimate test: I wrote my own Baseline using nothing but the
information from that document. It worked the first time I loaded it
into a new image!

The main open question left by the guide is how to find the URLs to your
dependencies. For packages from GitHub that is not too difficult, as the
packages' installation instructions provide the URL. But it took me a
while to figure out the URL for XMLParser, which I had installed via the
Catalog Browser. In the end I searched for XMLParser on the Web site of
smalltalkhub, where I found the URL.

Konrad.