Please keep a clean and dense history (was: The Trunk: Collections-dtl.802.mcz)

Please keep a clean and dense history (was: The Trunk: Collections-dtl.802.mcz)

Chris Muller-3
I moved this and Collections-kks.801 to The Treated Inbox.  You may
wish to "flush cached versions" on the menu of the Monticello
repository list.  No further action should be required unless you plan
to submit a new version of Collections, in which case, you'll know
what to do.

I prefer a clean and dense history of chunky changes, but I also
understand the appeal of spasmodic rapid-fire micro-commits prevalent
in git culture.  But as the primary developer, maintainer and support
contact for source.squeak.org, I respectfully request the community to
remember and respect the current unscalable nature of our Monticello
model.  There are several ideas for fixing it, but as its a crucial
part of our infrastructure, upgrades require careful, concerted and
coordinated effort that no one currently has time for.

Looking forward, please consider some guidelines for Trunk submissions:

   - Live with the code for a few days first.
   - Consider sharing it via the Inbox for extra review eyes.
   - When saving the MCZ version, arrow through every single change
and review it.
   - When saving the MCZ version, describe why the change is being
made rather than what.
   - When saving the MCZ version the use the description to explain
why the change is being made rather than what.
   - When saving the MCZ version, remember to consider all the other
"objects" of the MCZ besides just the code and description,
specifically, there are the pre and post scripts, as well as the MCZ
name.
 - Consider batching up trivial improvements (i.e., a fixed
misspelling of a comment) together and/or piggy-backed with other
non-trvial change within that same package.

This is our collective creation, our names are on it.  I hope y'all
share my pride about the great system we've built.

Regards,
  Chris

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 12:05 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Collections to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Collections-dtl.802.mcz

> Name: Collections-dtl.802
> Author: dtl
> Time: 14 July 2018, 1:05:13.618064 pm
> UUID: 0dc423d0-032d-4f0c-8b93-97f32605c1ea
> Ancestors: Collections-ul.800
>
> Bypass Collections.kks.801.mcz for now because it leads to a problem opening the help browser.
>
> =============== Diff against Collections-ul.800 ===============

Re: Please keep a clean and dense history (was: The Trunk: Collections-dtl.802.mcz)

Hannes Hirzel
Helpful notes,
could you please add them to

How to contribute to Squeak

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3279

People will otherwise not find them easily.

On 7/16/18, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I moved this and Collections-kks.801 to The Treated Inbox.  You may
> wish to "flush cached versions" on the menu of the Monticello
> repository list.  No further action should be required unless you plan
> to submit a new version of Collections, in which case, you'll know
> what to do.
>
> I prefer a clean and dense history of chunky changes, but I also
> understand the appeal of spasmodic rapid-fire micro-commits prevalent
> in git culture.  But as the primary developer, maintainer and support
> contact for source.squeak.org, I respectfully request the community to
> remember and respect the current unscalable nature of our Monticello
> model.  There are several ideas for fixing it, but as its a crucial
> part of our infrastructure, upgrades require careful, concerted and
> coordinated effort that no one currently has time for.
>
> Looking forward, please consider some guidelines for Trunk submissions:
>
>    - Live with the code for a few days first.
>    - Consider sharing it via the Inbox for extra review eyes.
>    - When saving the MCZ version, arrow through every single change
> and review it.
>    - When saving the MCZ version, describe why the change is being
> made rather than what.
>    - When saving the MCZ version the use the description to explain
> why the change is being made rather than what.
>    - When saving the MCZ version, remember to consider all the other
> "objects" of the MCZ besides just the code and description,
> specifically, there are the pre and post scripts, as well as the MCZ
> name.
>  - Consider batching up trivial improvements (i.e., a fixed
> misspelling of a comment) together and/or piggy-backed with other
> non-trvial change within that same package.
>
> This is our collective creation, our names are on it.  I hope y'all
> share my pride about the great system we've built.
>
> Regards,
>   Chris
>

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 12:05 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Collections to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Collections-dtl.802.mcz

>> Name: Collections-dtl.802
>> Author: dtl
>> Time: 14 July 2018, 1:05:13.618064 pm
>> UUID: 0dc423d0-032d-4f0c-8b93-97f32605c1ea
>> Ancestors: Collections-ul.800
>>
>> Bypass Collections.kks.801.mcz for now because it leads to a problem
>> opening the help browser.
>>
>> =============== Diff against Collections-ul.800 ===============

Re: Please keep a clean and dense history (was: The Trunk: Collections-dtl.802.mcz)

K K Subbu
Chris,

I merged your guidelines under appropriate sections in:

*How to contribute to Squeak* at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3279

Could you please give it a quick review to make sure that I haven't
messed it up? Thanks.

Regards .. Subbu

On Monday 16 July 2018 04:10 AM, Chris Muller wrote:

> Looking forward, please consider some guidelines for Trunk submissions:
>
>     - Live with the code for a few days first.
>     - Consider sharing it via the Inbox for extra review eyes.
>     - When saving the MCZ version, arrow through every single change
> and review it.
>     - When saving the MCZ version, describe why the change is being
> made rather than what.
>     - When saving the MCZ version the use the description to explain
> why the change is being made rather than what.
>     - When saving the MCZ version, remember to consider all the other
> "objects" of the MCZ besides just the code and description,
> specifically, there are the pre and post scripts, as well as the MCZ
> name.
>   - Consider batching up trivial improvements (i.e., a fixed
> misspelling of a comment) together and/or piggy-backed with other
> non-trvial change within that same package.

Re: Please keep a clean and dense history (was: The Trunk: Collections-dtl.802.mcz)

Chris Muller-3
Thanks guys.  I thought of another good one earlier today and just added it.