Please rejoin Discord

kilon.alios
Hey guys after my mistake we got "hacked" and someone banned all our members in Discord

I have revoked all the bans but you will have to rejoin . Existing join links are still valid , if you dont have one here is one

My apologies for this inconvenience, I am still exploring all possible threats to make sure this never happens again.

Re: Please rejoin Discord

Clément Béra
I think the roles got changed I am no longer admin (Note that it does not really matter since I did not do much admin work but still)

--
Clément Béra
Pharo consortium engineer
https://clementbera.github.io/
Bâtiment B 40, avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq

Re: Please rejoin Discord

kilon.alios
Hmm thats weird that you guys lost your admin roles, but not entirely, maybe the hack is responsible, no problem will add you back.

I removed the authorisation of any third party apps and I am closing any potential security hole. I think I got them all covered but will stick around and keep ownership of the server to make sure nothing like this happens again.

Please note that our message history is unharmed and nothing has been lost. I have however restored permissions to all channels so any channels admins may want to restore them back to their preference, if you are no longer a channel admit please drop me a message in here or Discord.

The good news out of this experience is that I was completely blown away by the sheer numbers we had so far. It felt almost a year ago, when people frowned on the idea of leaving Slack for Discord (not that I blame them) and now we have 1000 members. This is an opportunity to see how many of those 1000 are active members. Obviously a minority of them but still in terms of Discord numbers that is a pretty big community.

Another proof of the growing popularity of Pharo.

By the way being admin is not a responsibility, it does not come with strings attached. I make people admins in the case when I or Esteban are not around and cannot help , so people can help each other if they are available and willing.

Do not feel any guilt if you are not able or willing to do any admin work. If you just help a member even one time that is reason enough to be in admin position. Both Esteban and I have been able to maintain the server with ease and the fact that 11 hours passed was that I sleeping (yeas I do sleep, sometimes :D ) took me some time to respond. Overall managing the server requires minor attention and this is the first issue we have experienced so far.

So all is good and thank you all for making Pharo better and helping each other, keep rocking :)

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 1:34 PM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same here, no more admin

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the roles got changed I am no longer admin (Note that it does not really matter since I did not do much admin work but still)

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys after my mistake we got "hacked" and someone banned all our members in Discord

I have revoked all the bans but you will have to rejoin . Existing join links are still valid , if you dont have one here is one

My apologies for this inconvenience, I am still exploring all possible threats to make sure this never happens again.

Re: Please rejoin Discord

Stephane Ducasse-3
did the invitation changed?
Because we will have to update books flyers and others.
So is there a way to keep the invitation link stable?

Stef

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys after my mistake we got "hacked" and someone banned all our members
> in Discord
>
> I have revoked all the bans but you will have to rejoin . Existing join
> links are still valid , if you dont have one here is one
>
> https://discord.gg/gtKeHne
>
> My apologies for this inconvenience, I am still exploring all possible
> threats to make sure this never happens again.

Re: Please rejoin Discord

kilon.alios
if you provide me the specific link of the invitation you are referring to, I can verify it for you that has not changed

Our server currently has 26 invites with no expiration date. 2 of them are created by me.

But yes if an invite is without expiration date it means it won't get deleted.

The most likely scenario is that you are using an invite created by Esteban (@Estebanlm), because it has been used 871 times. That invite has not changed and is the invite ending with "Sj2rhxn" and indeed it has no expiration date, which means it will "never" change. Neither any other of the 26 invites.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey guys after my mistake we got "hacked" and someone banned all our members
> in Discord
>
> I have revoked all the bans but you will have to rejoin . Existing join
> links are still valid , if you dont have one here is one
>
> https://discord.gg/gtKeHne
>
> My apologies for this inconvenience, I am still exploring all possible
> threats to make sure this never happens again.

Re: Please rejoin Discord

cedreek
I used the old one after being kicked. It worked.

Cheers,
Cedrick

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey guys after my mistake we got "hacked" and someone banned all our members
> in Discord
>
> I have revoked all the bans but you will have to rejoin . Existing join
> links are still valid , if you dont have one here is one
>
> https://discord.gg/gtKeHne
>
> My apologies for this inconvenience, I am still exploring all possible
> threats to make sure this never happens again.

Re: Please rejoin Discord

Stephane Ducasse-3
Ok now I do not understand why the invite changed on the pharo web
site (and I do not like the here instead of the full name) because we
have to hover to get the information.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Dimitris Chloupis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> if you provide me the specific link of the invitation you are referring to,
> I can verify it for you that has not changed
>
> Our server currently has 26 invites with no expiration date. 2 of them are
> created by me.
>
> But yes if an invite is without expiration date it means it won't get
> deleted.
>
> The most likely scenario is that you are using an invite created by Esteban
> (@Estebanlm), because it has been used 871 times. That invite has not
> changed and is the invite ending with "Sj2rhxn" and indeed it has no
> expiration date, which means it will "never" change. Neither any other of
> the 26 invites.
>

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> did the invitation changed?
>> Because we will have to update books flyers and others.
>> So is there a way to keep the invitation link stable?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM, Dimitris Chloupis
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hey guys after my mistake we got "hacked" and someone banned all our
>> > members
>> > in Discord
>> >
>> > I have revoked all the bans but you will have to rejoin . Existing join
>> > links are still valid , if you dont have one here is one
>> >
>> > https://discord.gg/gtKeHne
>> >
>> > My apologies for this inconvenience, I am still exploring all possible
>> > threats to make sure this never happens again.

Re: Please rejoin Discord

Stephane Ducasse-3
Ok I changed the community web page to point to

http://discord.gg/Sj2rhxn

as in the flyer and other documents.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 8:42 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok now I do not understand why the invite changed on the pharo web
> site (and I do not like the here instead of the full name) because we
> have to hover to get the information.
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Dimitris Chloupis
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> if you provide me the specific link of the invitation you are referring to,
>> I can verify it for you that has not changed
>>
>> Our server currently has 26 invites with no expiration date. 2 of them are
>> created by me.
>>
>> But yes if an invite is without expiration date it means it won't get
>> deleted.
>>
>> The most likely scenario is that you are using an invite created by Esteban
>> (@Estebanlm), because it has been used 871 times. That invite has not
>> changed and is the invite ending with "Sj2rhxn" and indeed it has no
>> expiration date, which means it will "never" change. Neither any other of
>> the 26 invites.
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> did the invitation changed?
>>> Because we will have to update books flyers and others.
>>> So is there a way to keep the invitation link stable?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Please rejoin Discord

kilon.alios
Because I posted a new link it was misinterpreted that the old one did not work which is not the case. Yeah changing it back to the old one is the right choice. I created the new one only for convenience but as I said we already have a ton of invite links.

In any case the old one will remain and wont bet changed, unless Dicscord decides something stupid which I doubt will do because already too many people (outside our community) that use Discord depend on the invite links not to change and remain the same.

So all is good :)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> if you provide me the specific link of the invitation you are referring to,
> I can verify it for you that has not changed
>
> Our server currently has 26 invites with no expiration date. 2 of them are
> created by me.
>
> But yes if an invite is without expiration date it means it won't get
> deleted.
>
> The most likely scenario is that you are using an invite created by Esteban
> (@Estebanlm), because it has been used 871 times. That invite has not
> changed and is the invite ending with "Sj2rhxn" and indeed it has no
> expiration date, which means it will "never" change. Neither any other of
> the 26 invites.
>

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> did the invitation changed?
>> Because we will have to update books flyers and others.
>> So is there a way to keep the invitation link stable?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM, Dimitris Chloupis
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hey guys after my mistake we got "hacked" and someone banned all our
>> > members
>> > in Discord
>> >
>> > I have revoked all the bans but you will have to rejoin . Existing join
>> > links are still valid , if you dont have one here is one
>> >
>> > https://discord.gg/gtKeHne
>> >
>> > My apologies for this inconvenience, I am still exploring all possible
>> > threats to make sure this never happens again.

Re: Please rejoin Discord

Peter Uhnak
Maybe it would be better to flip it around:

have http://pharo.org/discord which would automatically redirect to the proper pharo invite link

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> if you provide me the specific link of the invitation you are referring to,
> I can verify it for you that has not changed
>
> Our server currently has 26 invites with no expiration date. 2 of them are
> created by me.
>
> But yes if an invite is without expiration date it means it won't get
> deleted.
>
> The most likely scenario is that you are using an invite created by Esteban
> (@Estebanlm), because it has been used 871 times. That invite has not
> changed and is the invite ending with "Sj2rhxn" and indeed it has no
> expiration date, which means it will "never" change. Neither any other of
> the 26 invites.
>

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> did the invitation changed?
>> Because we will have to update books flyers and others.
>> So is there a way to keep the invitation link stable?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:48 AM, Dimitris Chloupis
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hey guys after my mistake we got "hacked" and someone banned all our
>> > members
>> > in Discord
>> >
>> > I have revoked all the bans but you will have to rejoin . Existing join
>> > links are still valid , if you dont have one here is one
>> >
>> > https://discord.gg/gtKeHne
>> >
>> > My apologies for this inconvenience, I am still exploring all possible
>> > threats to make sure this never happens again.

Re: Please rejoin Discord

EstebanLM

On 12 Mar 2018, at 10:43, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Maybe it would be better to flip it around:

have http://pharo.org/discord which would automatically redirect to the proper pharo invite link

because otherwise it gives the idea the client and not the link?

Esteban