Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

monty-3
"monty" on map.squeak.org

___
montyos.wordpress.com

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Chris Muller-3
Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer
available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
of the existing legacy Releases.

Would that work for you?

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "monty" on map.squeak.org
>
> ___
> montyos.wordpress.com

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Frank Shearar-3
Be careful - there are multiple different XPath repositories lying around - there's one on GitHub, for example.

frank

On 2 May 2018 at 09:34, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer
available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
of the existing legacy Releases.

Would that work for you?

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "monty" on map.squeak.org
>
> ___
> montyos.wordpress.com

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

monty-3
Yes, thanks. I can add a newer release that installs XMLParser-XPath instead.

___
montyos.wordpress.com

> Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 12:34 PM
> From: "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]>
> To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project
>
> Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer
> available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
> you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
> of the existing legacy Releases.
>
> Would that work for you?
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "monty" on map.squeak.org
> >
> > ___
> > montyos.wordpress.com

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

monty-3
For Squeak (and Pharo and GemStone), the only actively-maintained, standards-compliant library I know of is the SmalltalkHub PharoExtras/XPath lib that I maintain, installable from the SM as "XMLParser-XPath".

It's actually a from-scratch (except some tests) rewrite of the SM "XPath" lib. I rewrote it because it was too unstable (would infinite loop on certain inputs) and only implemented a small portion of the required functionality.

My concern is that someone might install the older lib by mistake.
___
montyos.wordpress.com

Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 12:36 PM
From: "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]>
To: "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]>, "The general-purpose Squeak developers list" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Be careful - there are multiple different XPath repositories lying around - there's one on GitHub, for example.

frank

On 2 May 2018 at 09:34, Chris Muller <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM, monty <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:
> "monty" on map.squeak.org[http://map.squeak.org]
>
> ___
> montyos.wordpress.com[http://montyos.wordpress.com]

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Frank Shearar-3
Ignore me I am an idiot. I was thinking of _Xtreams_, a completely different library.

frank

On 2 May 2018 at 09:36, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Be careful - there are multiple different XPath repositories lying around - there's one on GitHub, for example.

frank

On 2 May 2018 at 09:34, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer
available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
of the existing legacy Releases.

Would that work for you?

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "monty" on map.squeak.org
>
> ___
> montyos.wordpress.com

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Tobias Pape

> On 04.05.2018, at 06:00, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For Squeak (and Pharo and GemStone), the only actively-maintained, standards-compliant library I know of is the SmalltalkHub PharoExtras/XPath lib that I maintain, installable from the SM as "XMLParser-XPath".

I want to stress that monty's implementation (xml and xpath) is very good, feature-, test-, and code-wise.

Note that the xml lib is not a drop-in replacement for the XML stuff in Trunk, as some API got straightened out.

Maybe we should adopt the XML/XPath lib for trunk also. It makes talking to web resources that speak XML soooo much easier.

-t

> It's actually a from-scratch (except some tests) rewrite of the SM "XPath" lib. I rewrote it because it was too unstable (would infinite loop on certain inputs) and only implemented a small portion of the required functionality.
>
> My concern is that someone might install the older lib by mistake.
> ___
> montyos.wordpress.com
>

> Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 12:36 PM
> From: "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]>
> To: "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]>, "The general-purpose Squeak developers list" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project
>
> Be careful - there are multiple different XPath repositories lying around - there's one on GitHub, for example.
>
> frank
>
> On 2 May 2018 at 09:34, Chris Muller <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer
> available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
> you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
> of the existing legacy Releases.
>
> Would that work for you?
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM, monty <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:
>> "monty" on map.squeak.org[http://map.squeak.org]
>>
>> ___
>> montyos.wordpress.com[http://montyos.wordpress.com]

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Monty, Hi Tobias,

> On May 4, 2018, at 1:47 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 04.05.2018, at 06:00, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For Squeak (and Pharo and GemStone), the only actively-maintained, standards-compliant library I know of is the SmalltalkHub PharoExtras/XPath lib that I maintain, installable from the SM as "XMLParser-XPath".
>>

> I want to stress that monty's implementation (xml and xpath) is very good, feature-, test-, and code-wise.
>
> Note that the xml lib is not a drop-in replacement for the XML stuff in Trunk, as some API got straightened out.
>
> Maybe we should adopt the XML/XPath lib for trunk also. It makes talking to web resources that speak XML soooo much easier.

+1.  If you two are actively using it, the tests pass, and you think it the right thing to do, IMO you should just go ahead.

> -t
>
>> It's actually a from-scratch (except some tests) rewrite of the SM "XPath" lib. I rewrote it because it was too unstable (would infinite loop on certain inputs) and only implemented a small portion of the required functionality.
>>
>> My concern is that someone might install the older lib by mistake.
>> ___
>> montyos.wordpress.com
>>

>> Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 12:36 PM
>> From: "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]>
>> To: "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]>, "The general-purpose Squeak developers list" <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project
>>
>> Be careful - there are multiple different XPath repositories lying around - there's one on GitHub, for example.
>>
>> frank
>>
>> On 2 May 2018 at 09:34, Chris Muller <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer
>> available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
>> you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
>> of the existing legacy Releases.
>>
>> Would that work for you?
>>
>>> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM, monty <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:
>>> "monty" on map.squeak.org[http://map.squeak.org]
>>>
>>> ___
>>> montyos.wordpress.com[http://montyos.wordpress.com]

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

timrowledge
> On 2 May 2018 at 09:34, Chris Muller <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer
> available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
> you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
> of the existing legacy Releases.

There's an important case where we should have a way to at least comment the entry to
a) let people know a version/system is no longer supported, or obsolete, or whatever
b) point to the 'proper' version, whatever that might mean at the time

This is a place where SqueakMap actually has a significant advantage of course, though 'us' being able to add notes about a package status could still be valuable.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PMT: Punch Magnetic Tape

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Hannes Hirzel
+1
very welcome!

On 5/4/18, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Monty, Hi Tobias,
>
>> On May 4, 2018, at 1:47 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 04.05.2018, at 06:00, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> For Squeak (and Pharo and GemStone), the only actively-maintained,
>>> standards-compliant library I know of is the SmalltalkHub
>>> PharoExtras/XPath lib that I maintain, installable from the SM as
>>> "XMLParser-XPath".
>>>

>> I want to stress that monty's implementation (xml and xpath) is very good,
>> feature-, test-, and code-wise.
>>
>> Note that the xml lib is not a drop-in replacement for the XML stuff in
>> Trunk, as some API got straightened out.
>>
>> Maybe we should adopt the XML/XPath lib for trunk also. It makes talking
>> to web resources that speak XML soooo much easier.
>
> +1.  If you two are actively using it, the tests pass, and you think it the
> right thing to do, IMO you should just go ahead.
>

>> -t
>>
>>> It's actually a from-scratch (except some tests) rewrite of the SM
>>> "XPath" lib. I rewrote it because it was too unstable (would infinite
>>> loop on certain inputs) and only implemented a small portion of the
>>> required functionality.
>>>
>>> My concern is that someone might install the older lib by mistake.
>>> ___
>>> montyos.wordpress.com
>>>

>>> Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 12:36 PM
>>> From: "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]>
>>> To: "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]>, "The general-purpose Squeak
>>> developers list" <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Please transfer ownership or make me a
>>> co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project
>>>
>>> Be careful - there are multiple different XPath repositories lying around
>>> - there's one on GitHub, for example.
>>>
>>> frank
>>>
>>> On 2 May 2018 at 09:34, Chris Muller
>>> <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:Normally only the
>>> original author can do that.  If they are no longer
>>> available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
>>> you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
>>> of the existing legacy Releases.
>>>
>>> Would that work for you?

> > On 04.05.2018, at 06:00, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > For Squeak (and Pharo and GemStone), the only actively-maintained, standards-compliant library I know of is the SmalltalkHub PharoExtras/XPath lib that I maintain, installable from the SM as "XMLParser-XPath".
> >

> I want to stress that monty's implementation (xml and xpath) is very good, feature-, test-, and code-wise.

Thanks

> Note that the xml lib is not a drop-in replacement for the XML stuff in Trunk, as some API got straightened out.
>
> Maybe we should adopt the XML/XPath lib for trunk also. It makes talking to web resources that speak XML soooo much easier.

There's also the "XMLParser-HTML" project on SM, which allows you to parse HTML with XMLParser, and it works with related XMLParser libs, including XMLParser-XPath. It's also the fastest HTML parser (by far) available for Squeak (and Pharo and GemStone). I wrote it more as a proof of concept and haven't advertised it much, but I've gotten positive feedback on it from Pharo users.

> -t
>
> > It's actually a from-scratch (except some tests) rewrite of the SM "XPath" lib. I rewrote it because it was too unstable (would infinite loop on certain inputs) and only implemented a small portion of the required functionality.
> >
> > My concern is that someone might install the older lib by mistake.
> > ___
> > montyos.wordpress.com
> >

> > Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 at 12:36 PM
> > From: "Frank Shearar" <[hidden email]>
> > To: "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]>, "The general-purpose Squeak developers list" <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project
> >
> > Be careful - there are multiple different XPath repositories lying around - there's one on GitHub, for example.
> >
> > frank
> >
> > On 2 May 2018 at 09:34, Chris Muller <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:Normally only the original author can do that.  If they are no longer
> > available, I can add the 'Community Supported' tag, which would allow
> > you to create additional releases for that package, but not delete any
> > of the existing legacy Releases.
> >
> > Would that work for you?
> >
> > On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM, monty <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:
> >> "monty" on map.squeak.org[http://map.squeak.org]
> >>
> >> ___
> >> montyos.wordpress.com[http://montyos.wordpress.com]

Re: Please transfer ownership or make me a co-maintainer of the orphaned SM "XPath" project

Chris Muller-3
Sorry for the delay, it's done.

I had to remember how to do it, for future reference, I ran this in
the SM administrator's page:

    (SMSqueakMap default packageWithName: 'XPath') beCommunitySupported