Please update Linux VM

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks. PLEASE a good soul of you update the linux VM from webpage?
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22421/pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip

Every single day there are folks asking in Pharo IRC channel how to use it. It is not intuitive and they are lost. No matter what you say, the reality is that they are lost and confused. We must put a readme.txt in pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip. The readme.txt can be something as easy as:

"
To run SqueakVm just do these steps:
1) uncompress this zip.
2) give execution permissons to the file "squeak"
3) run squeak like this:   ./squeak /home/you/your.image
"

Thanks,

Mariano

Re: Please update Linux VM

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Don't forget the bit about renaming the UUID plugin _directory_ - that's a crash waiting to happen, unless it's been fixed??

Bill

Re: Please update Linux VM

Marcus Denker-3

On 05.08.2009, at 14:54, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi folks. PLEASE a good soul of you update the linux VM from webpage?
> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22421/pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip
>
> Every single day there are folks asking in Pharo IRC channel how to
> use it. It is not intuitive and they are lost. No matter what you
> say, the reality is that they are lost and confused. We must put a
> readme.txt in pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip. The readme.txt can be
> something as easy as:
>
> "
> To run SqueakVm just do these steps:
> 1) uncompress this zip.
> 2) give execution permissons to the file "squeak"
> 3) run squeak like this:   ./squeak /home/you/your.image
> "
>
> Thanks,

Can you add a report at

                http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list

(We should have a bot for that ;-)

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker - http://marcusdenker.de
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Please update Linux VM

Damien Cassou
2009/8/5 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Hi folks. PLEASE a good soul of you update the linux VM from webpage?
> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22421/pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip
>
> Every single day there are folks asking in Pharo IRC channel how to use it.
> It is not intuitive and they are lost. No matter what you say, the reality
> is that they are lost and confused. We must put a readme.txt in
> pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip. The readme.txt can be something as easy as:
>
> "
> To run SqueakVm just do these steps:
> 1) uncompress this zip.
> 2) give execution permissons to the file "squeak"
> 3) run squeak like this:   ./squeak /home/you/your.image
> "

Done. Please download the new VM and tell me what you think about the
new README file (written mostly by Lawrence Trutter):

http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Please update Linux VM

Damien Cassou
2009/8/5 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:
> Don't forget the bit about renaming the UUID plugin _directory_ - that's a
> crash waiting to happen, unless it's been fixed??

The UUID plugin has been renamed in the previous version some time ago.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/8/5 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Hi folks. PLEASE a good soul of you update the linux VM from webpage?
> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22421/pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip
>
> Every single day there are folks asking in Pharo IRC channel how to use it.
> It is not intuitive and they are lost. No matter what you say, the reality
> is that they are lost and confused. We must put a readme.txt in
> pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip. The readme.txt can be something as easy as:
>
> "
> To run SqueakVm just do these steps:
> 1) uncompress this zip.
> 2) give execution permissons to the file "squeak"
> 3) run squeak like this:   ./squeak /home/you/your.image
> "

Done. Please download the new VM and tell me what you think about the
new README file (written mostly by Lawrence Trutter):

Excellent! I would change 2 little things:

"This directory contains a pre-built Pharo Virtual Machine (VM). So it
should not be necessary to build your own VM in order to use this
software."

This is not ALWAYS true. Many people with 64bits or a different architecture (like the other day with alpah) has to compile the VM to make it work. So what I would do is to clarify where (hardware) this VM must work

The other little thing I would add (yes, it is obvious) is a first step when you explain to run from command line, that explains how to unzip the zip and to be clear that the "squeak" file is the one that it is where you unzip the zip.

Thanks!!!

Mariano

2009/8/6 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Excellent! I would change 2 little things:
>
> "This directory contains a pre-built Pharo Virtual Machine (VM). So it
> should not be necessary to build your own VM in order to use this
> software."
>
> This is not ALWAYS true. Many people with 64bits or a different architecture
> (like the other day with alpah) has to compile the VM to make it work. So
> what I would do is to clarify where (hardware) this VM must work
>
> The other little thing I would add (yes, it is obvious) is a first step when
> you explain to run from command line, that explains how to unzip the zip and
> to be clear that the "squeak" file is the one that it is where you unzip the
> zip.

Could you please send me a new README file with theses changes?