Plopp for Java?

Klaus D. Witzel
Found in ./ and has screenshots that look like Plopp for Java

- http://science.slashdot.org/science/06/09/16/1916242.shtml

Demo applet loads

- http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy/teddy.html

/Klaus

Re: Plopp for Java?

Bert Freudenberg
Am 17.09.2006 um 09:16 schrieb Klaus D. Witzel:

> Found in ./ and has screenshots that look like Plopp for Java
>
> - http://science.slashdot.org/science/06/09/16/1916242.shtml

This is really old news (from 1998).

> Demo applet loads
>
> - http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy/teddy.html

Takeo's algorithm indeed was the original source for Squeak's
implementation. IIRC the first Squeak version was done by Alexander
Lazarevic (U of Magdeburg) while interning at Alan Kay's group. You
still had to draw an outline, which later was refined by Andreas Raab
and Jana Hintze (U of Magdeburg at internship again) to allow drawing
an image with automatic extraction of the texture. Impara's
implementation in Plopp is more robust as outlined in their ESUG
awards application, and indeed impara even acknowledges Takeo's work
in Plopp's credits.

- Bert -

Re: Plopp for Java?

stephane ducasse-2
Which was shown by alexander and jana at esug at essen :)

Stef

On 17 sept. 06, at 16:36, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 17.09.2006 um 09:16 schrieb Klaus D. Witzel:
>
>> Found in ./ and has screenshots that look like Plopp for Java
>>
>> - http://science.slashdot.org/science/06/09/16/1916242.shtml
>
> This is really old news (from 1998).
>
>> Demo applet loads
>>
>> - http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy/teddy.html
>
> Takeo's algorithm indeed was the original source for Squeak's
> implementation. IIRC the first Squeak version was done by Alexander
> Lazarevic (U of Magdeburg) while interning at Alan Kay's group. You
> still had to draw an outline, which later was refined by Andreas
> Raab and Jana Hintze (U of Magdeburg at internship again) to allow
> drawing an image with automatic extraction of the texture. Impara's
> implementation in Plopp is more robust as outlined in their ESUG
> awards application, and indeed impara even acknowledges Takeo's
> work in Plopp's credits.
>
> - Bert -

Plopp US/English?

Blake-5
Say,

        Is there an English version of Plopp planned? Can one have it shipped to
the US?

        ===Blake===

Re: Plopp US/English?

Michael Rueger-6
Blake wrote:
> Say,
>
>     Is there an English version of Plopp planned? Can one have it
> shipped to the US?

Planned yes. You can order plopp on the German amazon.de site, don't
know if they ship to the US though.

BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the English
version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it a suitable
name in English ;-)

Michael

Re: Plopp US/English?

karl-8
Michael Rueger skrev:

> Blake wrote:
>> Say,
>>
>>     Is there an English version of Plopp planned? Can one have it
>> shipped to the US?
>
> Planned yes. You can order plopp on the German amazon.de site, don't
> know if they ship to the US though.
>
> BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the
> English version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it a
> suitable name in English ;-)
>
> Michael

Puff!
Karl

Re: Plopp US/English?

Blake-5
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:16:28 -0700, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Blake wrote:
>> Say,
>>      Is there an English version of Plopp planned? Can one have it
>> shipped to the US?
>
> Planned yes. You can order plopp on the German amazon.de site, don't
> know if they ship to the US though.
>
> BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the English
> version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it a suitable
> name in English ;-)

lol

It was a short-lived satirical magazine here many years ago. (Like MAD.)

I'm not sure what the connotations would be. It's close to "flop" I
suppose. I actually prefer it to what such a product would probably be
called by an American company "Kids 3D Art Virtualizer" or something.

Something close would be good, like "Ploop" or "Floop" or something fun
sounding.

Re: Plopp US/English?

Andreas.Raab
karl wrote:
> Puff!

Now *that* wouldn't do in German. Oh, no, my dear ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Plopp US/English?

Matthias Berth-2
Propp?

On 9/27/06, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> karl wrote:
> > Puff!
>
> Now *that* wouldn't do in German. Oh, no, my dear ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Re: Plopp US/English?

Andrew Tween
> BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the English
> version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it a suitable
> name in English ;-)

Plump

Re: Plopp US/English?

timrowledge

On 26-Sep-06, at 11:16 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Blake wrote:
>> Say,
>>     Is there an English version of Plopp planned? Can one have it
>> shipped to the US?
>
> Planned yes. You can order plopp on the German amazon.de site,
> don't know if they ship to the US though.
>
> BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the
> English version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it a
> suitable name in English ;-)

Historically it would be ok; there was a kids books series that
featured Plop the Penguin. These days though.... The only one I can
think of is Pingu and that is almost certainly entrained by a
publishing company.

tim
Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.

Re: Plopp US/English?

Bert Freudenberg

Am 27.09.2006 um 09:26 schrieb Andreas Raab:

> karl wrote:
>> Puff!
>
> Now *that* wouldn't do in German. Oh, no, my dear ;-)

Indeed :)

How about "Pluff"?

- Bert -

Re: Plopp US/English?

Marcus Denker

On 27.09.2006, at 22:23, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 27.09.2006 um 09:26 schrieb Andreas Raab:
>
>> karl wrote:
>>> Puff!
>>
>> Now *that* wouldn't do in German. Oh, no, my dear ;-)
>
> Indeed :)

In Swiss High-German it's not that bad... "I have a Puff at home"
does not mean that
you're running a lucrative side bussiness ;-).  It's just that they
know their french.
http://www.blogwiese.ch/archives/70

        Marcus

Re: Plopp US/English?

Dan Ingalls
Hi, Mike -

>BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the English version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it a suitable name in English ;-)

How about "Poof"?

This is the sound with which things (often magically) appear and disappear in comics.

It's also used to dispense with drudgery or worries, as in, "Poof.  It was nothing."

        - D

Re: Plopp US/English?

timrowledge

On 2-Oct-06, at 10:54 AM, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Hi, Mike -
>
>> BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the
>> English version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it
>> a suitable name in English ;-)
>
> How about "Poof"?

Unfortunately this (yet another) disparaging term for homosexuals in
UK english. Or at least, it was when I was still living there.

Y'know, given the target market, the fecal connotations of 'plopp'
might actually appeal to kids....

tim
Half the people you know are below average.

re: Plopp US/English?

ccrraaiigg

> > BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the
> > English version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it a
> > suitable name in English ;-)
>
> How about "Poof"?
>
> This is the sound with which things (often magically) appear and
> disappear in comics.
>
> It's also used to dispense with drudgery or worries, as in, "Poof.  It
> was nothing."

     But sadly, it's a problematic word in Australia.

-C

Re: Plopp US/English?

Klaus D. Witzel
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:16:28 +0200, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Blake wrote:
>> Say,
>>      Is there an English version of Plopp planned? Can one have it
>> shipped to the US?
>
> Planned yes. You can order plopp on the German amazon.de site, don't
> know if they ship to the US though.
>
> BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for a different name for the English
> version? Seems the connotations of plopp aren't making it a suitable
> name in English ;-)

According to google, sketchup was not mentioned in this list. But it is of
course mentioned elsewhere

- http://www.google.com/search?q=sketchup

How about Squeakup?

/Klaus

> Michael

Re: Plopp US/English?

Michael Rueger-6
Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> How about Squeakup?

:-)

We decided to go with Plopp for now. Others name their console Wii and
there is this bear with that funny name ;-)

Thanks to all for coming up with all the suggestions!

Michael