PointerFinder question

vaidasd
Hello,
Not sure whether this is right place for a such a question.

How could this be sometimes PointerFinder is helpful. After loading
and using parts of Moose (www.moosetechnology.org) in Squeak, I wanted
to do some housekeeping and try understanding why some objects are not
garbage collected.

(FAMIXClass allSubInstances first: 20) do: [:e | PointerFinder on: e]
yields nothing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5izuagj1wto0i69/whoisusingthem.png

I run Squeak4.4 update 12327 Cog VM 4.0.0 (release) Apr 4, 2013 on Windows 7.

Thank you in advance,
Vaidas

Re: PointerFinder question

Bob Arning-2
One reason can be that there has not been a full garbage collection since the objects were unreferenced. Try

Smalltalk garbageCollect

before doing the PointerFinder on: ...

Cheers,
Bob

2013/7/12 Bob Arning <[hidden email]>:
> One reason can be that there has not been a full garbage collection since
> the objects were unreferenced. Try
> Smalltalk garbageCollect

It helped. I was using garbageCollectMost instead. Is it different?

Re: PointerFinder question

Bob Arning-2
Yes:

garbageCollectMost
    "Primitive. Reclaims recently created garbage (which is usually most of it) fairly quickly and answers the number of bytes of available space."

Cheers,
Bob

On 7/12/13 7:54 AM, Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:
2013/7/12 Bob Arning [hidden email]:
One reason can be that there has not been a full garbage collection since
the objects were unreferenced. Try
Smalltalk garbageCollect
It helped. I was using garbageCollectMost instead. Is it different?

Re: PointerFinder question

vaidasd
sorry, thanks.