Poll: Removing the Default Look local menu bars

Poll: Removing the Default Look local menu bars

Travis Griggs-4
I'm doing some refactoring work on BorderDecorator today, to hopefully make it easier to do skinned scrollbars (see recent st11a builds). I have a soft place in my heart for the classic "Default" Smalltalk look policy. The one that we used in ObjectWorks, long before trying to emulate platform specific widgets came along. One peculiarity about the classic default look, was that it placed narrow local menu menu bars over various widgets (lists and text editors). This gave a place you could get the local pop up menu with a button1 click, rather than using button2 or 3.

I'd like to remove this feature in the interest of simplification. I'm curious how many there are out there that are relying on these and using them?

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

Re: Poll: Removing the Default Look local menu bars

Runar Jordahl
R e m o v e

Re: Poll: Removing the Default Look local menu bars

andre

> I'd like to remove this feature in the interest of simplification.
> I'm curious how many there are out there that are relying on these
> and using them?

Remove it.

If I want to get a fuzzy warm feeling about the old ObjectWorks days I
can still look at my archived screenshots or fire up a genuine st-80
in VMWare.

Andre

Re: Poll: Removing the Default Look local menu bars

Reinout Heeck-2
On 8/19/2011 9:32 PM, Travis Griggs wrote:

> I'd like to remove this feature in the interest of simplification. I'm
> curious how many there are out there that are relying on these and
> using them?

To me that looks like a waste of your time, kill that look all together
please (if it walks like a hobby and talks like a hobby ...).

Reinout
-------

Re: Poll: Removing the Default Look local menu bars

Holger Guhl
As far as I remember, the menu bar bars were introduced in ancient times to support users with one-button-mouse (or two-button-mouse where one button was mapped to blue button). I cannot imagine that users exist who still have to use such hardware. For me it seems justified to finally get rid of that peculiarity.

Am 19.08.2011 21:32, schrieb Travis Griggs:
[...]

Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20
Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812