[Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

[Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Nicolas Petton
Hi guys,

Do you think that Helios should have menus as well the keyboard shortcuts as it has now?

Nico

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Andy Burnett
Menus would be helpful to learn the system. However, if it delayed
release too much I would vote for adding them later - if necessary

Cheers
Andy

On 10 Mar 2013, at 10:03, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Do you think that Helios should have menus as well the keyboard shortcuts as it has now?
>
> Nico

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Herby Vojčík
You mean the "Open v" menu? It is fine, I did not know it has shortcuts,
even.

Are there other menus?

Herby

Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Do you think that Helios should have menus as well the keyboard shortcuts as it has now?
>
> Nico

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Nicolas Petton
Helios will be based on keyboard events.
Open a browser and press ctrl+space to see it in action.

Cheers,
Nico

On Mar 10, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You mean the "Open v" menu? It is fine, I did not know it has shortcuts, even.
>
> Are there other menus?
>
> Herby
>
> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Do you think that Helios should have menus as well the keyboard shortcuts as it has now?
>>
>> Nico

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

fstephany
Out of curiosity, what do you use for keyboard events?
https://github.com/madrobby/keymaster looks good (i like the
possibility to switch contexts) but I've never used it.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Nicolas Petton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Helios will be based on keyboard events.
> Open a browser and press ctrl+space to see it in action.
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
>
> On Mar 10, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You mean the "Open v" menu? It is fine, I did not know it has shortcuts, even.
>>
>> Are there other menus?
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Do you think that Helios should have menus as well the keyboard shortcuts as it has now?
>>>
>>> Nico
>>
>> --

> Nicolas Petton
> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Darius Clarke
Can the Helios code browser be a pop-up, off the main browser window?

[I'd prefer menus that can be turned on for training or left off with experience... if it doesn't delay Helios.]

- Darius

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

philippeback
both

2013/3/12 Darius Clarke <[hidden email]>:

> Can the Helios code browser be a pop-up, off the main browser window?
>
> [I'd prefer menus that can be turned on for training or left off with
> experience... if it doesn't delay Helios.]
>
> - Darius

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Herby Vojčík
Now that I understand the question, yes for menus (how can I invoke
them? the Ctrl+Space bottom bar is very unconvenient; I'd like it to be
switchable if bar or menu appears, or different key for menu (like, two
Ctrls in quick succession; third can remove it if menu is open by
accident)).

Herby

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Helios will be based on keyboard events.
> Open a browser and press ctrl+space to see it in action.
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
>
> On Mar 10, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> You mean the "Open v" menu? It is fine, I did not know it has shortcuts, even.
>>
>> Are there other menus?
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Do you think that Helios should have menus as well the keyboard shortcuts as it has now?
>>>
>>> Nico
>> --

> Nicolas Petton
> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Nicolas Petton
press ESC to remove it (or click on the close button on the right).
Ideally the shortcut should be a parameter, but of course Helios doesn't have settings yet :)

Nico

On Mar 12, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now that I understand the question, yes for menus (how can I invoke them? the Ctrl+Space bottom bar is very unconvenient; I'd like it to be switchable if bar or menu appears, or different key for menu (like, two Ctrls in quick succession; third can remove it if menu is open by accident)).
>
> Herby
>
> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> Helios will be based on keyboard events.
>> Open a browser and press ctrl+space to see it in action.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nico
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> You mean the "Open v" menu? It is fine, I did not know it has shortcuts, even.
>>>
>>> Are there other menus?
>>>
>>> Herby

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Nicolas Petton
>> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Herby Vojčík
I was asking more in the line "if the menus are already there, how do I
activate them instead of the bar?", but they probably aren't there yet
and you ask polling to ask if there is a demand.

Well, the bar would be lot less inconvenient if it appeared at the place
where I have my eyes pointed to (that is, cursor in editor or last place
in navigator where I moved by arrows/clicked), as a menu.

Then I would have probably no problem with it.

And, pressing Ctrl twice and holding the second one pressed for menu to
be there (disappearing if Ctrl is released) seems like even more cool
(to me) than the previous one.

Herby

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> press ESC to remove it (or click on the close button on the right).
> Ideally the shortcut should be a parameter, but of course Helios doesn't have settings yet :)
>
> Nico
>

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Now that I understand the question, yes for menus (how can I invoke them? the Ctrl+Space bottom bar is very unconvenient; I'd like it to be switchable if bar or menu appears, or different key for menu (like, two Ctrls in quick succession; third can remove it if menu is open by accident)).
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>>> Helios will be based on keyboard events.
>>> Open a browser and press ctrl+space to see it in action.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Nico

>>> --
>>> Nicolas Petton
>>> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr
>>>
>> --

> Nicolas Petton
> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

Bernat Romagosa
Took me ages to reply, sorry (busy as hell).

To me, menus are completely unimportant... I'm a Ratposion user, and I find anything forcing me to grab a mouse annoying (took me ages to adapt to the Squeak/Pharo ways of programming). However, I think having them can smooth the entry path to Amber, which is a desirable result.

So yep, I think there should be menus along with shortcuts. But nope, I don't think they're vital.

Just my 2¢.

Cheers!

Bernat.

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

sebastianconcept
I almost never use menus

but we need something that can educate the user about the shorcuts

I've only knew about OS X's spotlight only the day someone told me

it's a useful convenient shortcut but if you don't have a way to know it's there you'll never learn that it can make your that powerful

On Mar 10, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Nicolas Petton wrote:

Hi guys,

Do you think that Helios should have menus as well the keyboard shortcuts as it has now?

Nico

Re: [Poll] Should helios have menus as well as the keyboard shortcuts?

jim kuo
Please note that ctrl+space is often used for swithing from inputting methods on both Linux and Windows multilingual environment. Also ctrl+shift is used for the same purpous