Poll: missing libraries to support business

12

Poll: missing libraries to support business

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

NorbertHartl
Here are some of the things I'm missing:

fulltext search/text retrieval
- fuzzy search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approximate_string_matching)
- proximity search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_search_(text))
- stemming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemming)
- faceted search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faceted_search)

If there were a good support or integration with collections that could ease a lot of use cases especially in web environments. At the moment I'm serializing objects to XML documents and put this into SOLR  (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/). Before tsearch2 on postgresql

spatial data services
------------------------------
- quad-tree (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadtree)
- r-tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-tree)

Again nice integration with collections would be very powerful. Spatial data are more and more important. There is support for google maps and such but no support to store spatial data. Back then I used postGis (on postgresql) for that.

authentication frameworks
--------------------------------------
- OAuth (http://oauth.net/)
- open-id (http://openid.net/)

To ease the authentication of users and web APIs those two mentioned are quite important (needs checking)

That are the ones I miss on a regular basis.

hope this helps,

Norbert

On 02.08.2010, at 21:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>
> Stef

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 02-08-2010 a las 22:26 +0200, Norbert Hartl escribió:

> Here are some of the things I'm missing:
>
> fulltext search/text retrieval
> - fuzzy search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approximate_string_matching)
> - proximity search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_search_(text))
> - stemming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stemming)
> - faceted search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faceted_search)
>
> If there were a good support or integration with collections that could ease a lot of use cases especially in web environments. At the moment I'm serializing objects to XML documents and put this into SOLR  (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/). Before tsearch2 on postgresql
>
> spatial data services
> ------------------------------
> - quad-tree (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadtree)
> - r-tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-tree)
>
> Again nice integration with collections would be very powerful. Spatial data are more and more important. There is support for google maps and such but no support to store spatial data. Back then I used postGis (on postgresql) for that.
>
> authentication frameworks
> --------------------------------------
> - OAuth (http://oauth.net/)

+ 1 to oauth. Now that Cyrpto code is working ok and webclient with
https support exists, should be possible to have this.
this will permit integration with facebook for apps.

> - open-id (http://openid.net/)

There are a simple (incomplete) implementation of this in squeaksource,
I think that was an experiment from Philippe, but it could be supported
to have a complete implementation for smalltalk.

> To ease the authentication of users and web APIs those two mentioned are quite important (needs checking)
>
> That are the ones I miss on a regular basis.
>
> hope this helps,
>
> Norbert
>

> On 02.08.2010, at 21:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > Hi guys
> >
> > with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
> > level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
> >
> > Stef

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Michael Roberts-2
=Platform integration=
  -multiple host windows
  -deeper platform look 'n feel

=Documentation=

cheers
Mike

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>
> Stef

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

garduino
Somethings I would like to have:

- Lockdown/Deployment Mode/disable programmer facilities (As was discussed here)

- UI builder to desktop applications (Also discussed here)

- Interface with nosql databases

- Parallel processing / map reduce / other strategies to scalability

Let me think about other things :)

2010/8/2 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys
>
> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>
> Stef

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Michael Roberts wrote:

> =Platform integration=
>  -multiple host windows
>  -deeper platform look 'n feel

wxSqueak is a perfect match. Too bad it's not finished and it uses
ToolBuilder.

> =Documentation=

Nobody likes to write documentation.

Levente

> cheers
> Mike
>
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
>> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>>
>> Stef

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

laurent laffont
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?

I would prefer: What kind of powerful task should be made easy out of the box ?
- connect to a legacy MySQL database, send SQL requests and manipulate results
- describe relations (a Library has many Books and Subscribers) -> generate -> Seaside (and/or Iliad or desktop) / view / controllers / models / database automatically setup. Plug in custom relations.
- build an UI and create custom widgets.
- deploy desktop and/or web app.

and showcases + documentation. So Pharo can attracts new developpers who can say "wooww, so easy !". More developpers -> more business needs -> more contributions.

Laurent

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Nick

2010/8/3 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?

Libraries

Make connecting to C libraries/Java libraries as plainless as possible.
Make discovery of available Smalltalk libraries less painful:
  * There's little or no differentiation on squeaksource between great, well-tested reliable code, and "my first Smalltalk project"
  * Be great if ESUG sponsored the infrastructure for something like Apache commons (http://commons.apache.org/) for Smalltalk projects. They have three designations:
      1) Commons Proper - repository of reusable components
      2) Commons Sandbox - workspace for component development
      3) Repository of sandbox components that are currently inactive
  * This would aid in the discovery of projects.
  * Ideally projects in the equivalent to "commons proper" would be part of a CI system like Lukas' Hudson setup (http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/)

HTH

Nick

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Adrian Lienhard
- A scalable source code management system (MC gets very sloooow for large projects)
- A change recovery mechanism that is not tedious (e.g., no mix of class definitions and do-its)
- Better system integration:
        - OSProcess reliable and working for all major platforms
        - FFI/Alien; bindings to external libraries
- A mature HTTP client (->WebClient looks good)
- A decent Smalltalk library to interact with the file system
- Clients for new DBs (was mentioned before)
- OAuth (was mentioned before)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Aug 2, 2010, at 21:50 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>
> Stef

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Tudor Girba
Hi,

> - A scalable source code management system (MC gets very sloooow for
> large projects)
> - A change recovery mechanism that is not tedious (e.g., no mix of
> class definitions and do-its)
> - Better system integration:
> - OSProcess reliable and working for all major platforms
> - FFI/Alien; bindings to external libraries

+10

> - A mature HTTP client (->WebClient looks good)
> - A decent Smalltalk library to interact with the file system

I am using FileSystem and it is quite nice. I would vote to integrate
it in Pharo, if not in PharoCore.

Doru

> - Clients for new DBs (was mentioned before)
> - OAuth (was mentioned before)
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Aug 2, 2010, at 21:50 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change
>> strategy to help growing business at the technical
>> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should
>> be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>>
>> Stef

www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

> 2010/8/3 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>
> Libraries
>
> Make connecting to C libraries/Java libraries as plainless as possible.
> Make discovery of available Smalltalk libraries less painful:
>   * There's little or no differentiation on squeaksource between great, well-tested reliable code, and "my first Smalltalk project"

yes we will have to address that and I believe that it should go via metacello

>   * Be great if ESUG sponsored the infrastructure for something like Apache commons (http://commons.apache.org/) for Smalltalk projects. They have three designations:
>       1) Commons Proper - repository of reusable components
>       2) Commons Sandbox - workspace for component development
>       3) Repository of sandbox components that are currently inactive

good idea. Now inactive does not mean sandboxed :) but yes we should have a categorisation of the projects.
 We should be able to put that in place with bibliocello.

On Aug 3, 2010, at 11:09 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> - A scalable source code management system (MC gets very sloooow for large projects)
>> - A change recovery mechanism that is not tedious (e.g., no mix of class definitions and do-its)
>> - Better system integration:
>> - OSProcess reliable and working for all major platforms
>> - FFI/Alien; bindings to external libraries
>
> +10
>
>> - A mature HTTP client (->WebClient looks good)
>> - A decent Smalltalk library to interact with the file system
>
> I am using FileSystem and it is quite nice. I would vote to integrate it in Pharo, if not in PharoCore.

Me too but it should handle utf8.

> Doru
>
>> - Clients for new DBs (was mentioned before)
>> - OAuth (was mentioned before)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Aug 2, 2010, at 21:50 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change strategy to help growing business at the technical
>>> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>>>
>>> Stef

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "One cannot do more than one can do."

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Ok guys you get a nice list of wishes.
Now how could we proceed since ESUG is not the national swiss bank.

What I envisioned is the following:
        - we select a topic like
                - improving webClient
                - OAuth (http://oauth.net/)
                - open-id (http://openid.net/)

We know some excellent developers (that because of the economical situations
of their countries) are also cheap. or you get bored and do not need to work to be payed
and you can do them, this would be even better.

We ask for an estimate.

We create a pot where companies and esug as well can put money in.
We do a large call.

We wait that there is enough money in the pot and the project gets done.

Does it make sense?
else if you have magic powder let me know.

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Lukas Renggli
>>> - A decent Smalltalk library to interact with the file system
>>
>> I am using FileSystem and it is quite nice. I would vote to integrate it in Pharo, if not in PharoCore.
>
> Me too but it should handle utf8.

I fixed that (the encoding issue of filenames) and many other things.
Max discovered quite a few bugs while working on GitFS.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

***Excellent!***

So we could really introduced it in 1.2.
Let me know :)
If some people want to join and help it can be done :)

Stef

On Aug 3, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Nick Ager wrote:

> How about including for each project a designated project sponsor/

sponsor is different from the mentor/project manager

> mentor/project manager who's job is liase between the developer(s) and the community and to ensure that a project focuses on the communities highest priorities.

For now this is not the problem. :)

> On 3 August 2010 10:30, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok guys you get a nice list of wishes.
> Now how could we proceed since ESUG is not the national swiss bank.
>
> What I envisioned is the following:
>        - we select a topic like
>                - improving webClient
>                - OAuth (http://oauth.net/)
>                - open-id (http://openid.net/)
>
> We know some excellent developers (that because of the economical situations
> of their countries) are also cheap. or you get bored and do not need to work to be payed
> and you can do them, this would be even better.
>
> We ask for an estimate.
>
> We create a pot where companies and esug as well can put money in.
> We do a large call.
>
> We wait that there is enough money in the pot and the project gets done.
>
> Does it make sense?
> else if you have magic powder let me know.
>
> Stef

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

garduino
Hehe, that (or similar) was allways on my mind.

In the past I started a project I named SDA (Smalltalk Developer
Assistant) focused on lot of things that may be shortened as "Code
Generation" :) as Genexus does.

One more time, the lack of free time and the need of focus the time on
payed projects did their work and the project is almost
abandoned....but I agree that a tool that could do somethings
automagically would help in 2 areas:

1. Attracting more people, and
2. Make the life of current Smalltalkers a bit more easy :)

Germán.

2010/8/3 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> with the experience around the XMLRPC project, ESUG wants to change
>> strategy to help growing business at the technical
>> level. So what are the key areas where you think that effort should be
>> supported to help you making business in smalltalk?
>
> I would prefer: What kind of powerful task should be made easy out of the
> box ?
> - connect to a legacy MySQL database, send SQL requests and manipulate
> results
> - describe relations (a Library has many Books and Subscribers) -> generate
> -> Seaside (and/or Iliad or desktop) / view / controllers / models /
> database automatically setup. Plug in custom relations.
> - build an UI and create custom widgets.
> - deploy desktop and/or web app.
> and showcases + documentation. So Pharo can attracts new developpers who can
> say "wooww, so easy !". More developpers -> more business needs -> more
> contributions.
> Laurent
>

>> Stef

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote
> =Documentation=

Nobody likes to write documentation.
I've started to enjoy writing class comments and tests.  Especially when I go back to system classes (that I figured out every last detail about) a week later and can pick up where I left off :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Poll: missing libraries to support business

Stéphane Ducasse

> I've started to enjoy writing class comments and tests.  Especially when I
> week later and can pick up where I left off :)

Hi sean (prononced chon in french ;-D )
It was nice to meet you. If you have class comments for the core please send them.

12